Disregarding EVERYTHING else, how do you think the combat stacks up?

#1Terzian313Posted 2/8/2013 7:45:03 AM
I'm not even going post my opinion about the rest of the game, but combat alone I feel like its both better if some ways and worse in another. Keep in mind I play these games to have truly stylish combat. Nothing more fun than an adrenaline-filled, fluid, sexy rampage I'm in control of.

Simply put, DmC just feels a but overwhelming, which is equivalent to confusing at times. I was quite happy to find a game with complex controls and so much variety.
However when faced with an attack I must dodge, sometimes I'll really stumble and get hit because I can't decide whether I want to run and jump away, angel dodge, demon dodge, normal dodge, angel boost, enemy step, double jump, or parry.
I say this game's combat feels like it's all about remembering all the controls and quickly deciding how you want to string things together. The whips really dominate this though, because if used properly they feel quite cheap and make a lot of moving or dodging pointless. Also, the enemies are very weapon restrictive, what a drag.

DMC, is well, as everyone remembers it. About timing, bigger weapon variety, and styles. DT was way better in the classics, and the trickster style was quite simply the best method of dodging in any game IMO.

In conclusion I just want to point out that I can't decide which game really has better combat, but I will say that I get hung up in DmC, while in DMC I can consistently and smoothly keep going till I drop.
---
GT: Crimson 1ce
#2Pesmerga255Posted 2/8/2013 7:45:35 AM
It doesn't.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#3hoagie727Posted 2/8/2013 7:49:38 AM
Honest opinion is DMC 4 and 3 had better combat.

With that said I do have fun with this games combat system but I find I hit a ceiling faster then I did in the older games.

I would like a wider variety of moves.

I do enjoy 8 weapons at once and some moves from Gunslinger, Trickster, and Swordmaster without having to choose just one style.

I do enjoy the environment kills and wrong team kills.

Hate the DT.

They should have had a more demon like DT with DT specific moves and abilities.
#4DrunkBeardGuyPosted 2/8/2013 7:51:20 AM
In some ways it's better, in others it's just terrible. Why do we need three dodge buttons? Why is there no lock on? The combat isn't terrible, but you can't get a real feel for it because a lot of the time Dante doesn't even hit what he's supposed to.

I don't know, it's a hell of a lot more fun than the first and second game, but it just falls short from the last two.
---
May the odds be ever in your favor
http://i.imgur.com/C41sDRQ.gif
#5Ink-RibbonPosted 2/8/2013 7:55:30 AM
Pesmerga255 posted...
It doesn't.

0/10
#6Pesmerga255Posted 2/8/2013 7:56:23 AM
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...
It doesn't.

0/10

Precisely my thoughts on DmC's combat system.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#7hoagie727Posted 2/8/2013 7:59:05 AM
Pesmerga255 posted...
Ink-Ribbon posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...
It doesn't.

0/10

Precisely my thoughts on DmC's combat system.

Just ignore Pes.

The fact that he posts meaningless comments 30 seconds after the topic gets created speaks for itself.
#8VaruneyPosted 2/8/2013 7:59:57 AM
Pesmerga255 posted...
It doesn't.

---
*Wubeth Intensifies*
#9superbowl54Posted 2/8/2013 8:02:22 AM
it feels like an evolution and not held back by archaic mechanics anymore.

The hooks are a good example, they took Nero Grapple moves and made them 10x better because we can choose what action happens to what enemy..

Holding the triggers to activate demon/angel mode was a bit different at first, but now that I'm used to it, why would I wanna go back to the old system? I only have to hold the trigger if I want to use that weapon? instead of tapping a button twice. They give you way more tools to succeed.

2 dodge buttons are necessary to make the demon/angel evades much more natural. It's easier to hit L1+R2 for demon evade than it is to hit R1+R2. Sure, I still miss lock-on at times, but the auto-target system works fine for the most part.

Sure the style system is too lenient, but that's something that can be improved in the future. Color-coded enemies need to go as well.

The upgrade system is far superior to anything of the previous games. No more having to save up red orbs or proud souls to get a new combo/move (even just to double jump). I can put a point into whatever I like right from the get-go and tailor my upgrades to match my playstyle (without having to grind like some RPG).

It would be a step backwards if the next game went back to the mechanics of DMC1-4.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#10produnerPosted 2/8/2013 8:10:28 AM(edited)
The combat in DmC as a stand alone game, not comparing it to anything is really... i don't know the exact word but here is what i think:

Controls are bad, they are clunky, stiff , inaccurate hiboxes,they have input lag and lack precision.

Weapons are gimmicky and unsatisfying, they are either too slow or have slow startup. They also lack variety and their functions are limited and boring ( crowd control? how does that contribute to fast combat and combos?).Also angel/demon thing was there because they have the same coding from enslaved, lol but seriously, it is gimmicky and the transition is slower and less accurate, toggle to switch was faster and the whole angel demon thing was unnecessary, aside from restricting some weapons from having more moves.

Game mechanics.... lack of lock on, jump canceling is sometimes meaningless ( angel pull and slow startup), evade is boring and broken ( too much invincibility), pauses between attacks, jump and enemy trajectory don't suit the fast paced combat, color coded enemies, huge enemies that can't be juggled, some enemies are easy to juggle and don't have a defense or a mechanic to force you to put some work before finding an opening to juggle them.

Overall feeling: boring, lack of variety, slow, no potential for high level techniques and clunky. Also the sounds and animations of the weapons are unsatisfying.