So it took Capcom 9 years to realize that RE audience wants the survival-horror

#1m100t1sPosted 2/9/2013 11:54:15 AM
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-says-resident-evil-needs-horror-to-survive-after-resident-evil-6-fails-to-meet-sales-expectations/#ixzz2KKxOsrDp

So after RE6 and RE:ORC failure and the positive feedbacks towards the survival horror RE game (RE: Revelations port).

They realized that the series needs to go back to the original style.. So how much years do you think it'll take them until they realize that DMC fans want DMC5?
#2Rising_shadowPosted 2/9/2013 11:56:46 AM
Fans want more survival horror but the games still sell more as action games. How does that work?
Either way, the only way the early RE games were horror at all was because the controls were garbage. Give RE RE6 style controls and you'd be swimming in ammo all the way.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#3RetsuxDPosted 2/9/2013 12:03:18 PM
RE needs horror in order to sell more?
Gee, Capcom, you don't say.

What's next, DmC failed to attract a new audience?
#4LeonSK357Posted 2/9/2013 12:05:43 PM
I know this isn't really the place for this but... I still don't understand the praise that Revelations gets. I played it and there was honestly nothing memorable or even mildly creepy about it, but that's just me.
---
Did my opinion upset you? From the depths of my heart, please visit the link below for the full extent of my apology.
http://i47.tinypic.com/xds7cn.jpg
#5GoldsicklePosted 2/9/2013 12:09:03 PM
Weren't they losing sales when they maintained the "survival horror" format?

I mean, wasn't that the reason why they changed formats in RE4?
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#6_Uwye_Posted 2/9/2013 12:16:41 PM(edited)
m100t1s posted...
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-says-resident-evil-needs-horror-to-survive-after-resident-evil-6-fails-to-meet-sales-expectations/#ixzz2KKxOsrDp

So after RE6 and RE:ORC failure and the positive feedbacks towards the survival horror RE game (RE: Revelations port).

They realized that the series needs to go back to the original style.. So how much years do you think it'll take them until they realize that DMC fans want DMC5?

Zero. They realized that maybe they should rethink the RE direction when the last game strongly underperformed (30% less than their initial forecast) and the audience reacted negatively. Now DmC is strongly underperforming (60% less than their initial forecast) and the audience reacted negatively.

Of course it's still Capcom, maybe they haven't learned.
#7RayconPosted 2/9/2013 12:11:25 PM
LeonSK357 posted...
I know this isn't really the place for this but... I still don't understand the praise that Revelations gets. I played it and there was honestly nothing memorable or even mildly creepy about it, but that's just me.

I think the important thing here is there was an obvious attempt AT a horror atmosphere in Revelations. Not to mention, exploration and resource conservation was back to return a little more depth to a series that had essentially become "move down path A, murder horde X, move to room B, repeat."

As for whether it was scary or not, that's pretty relative to the individual. I was just relieved enemies weren't dropping ammo anymore. >_>

The plot was all around silly, but it's hard to find horror themed games these days...
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#8tehdudPosted 2/9/2013 12:11:57 PM
Re 5 and 6 suckered in a lot of people with deception.
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#9LeonSK357Posted 2/9/2013 12:15:05 PM
Raycon posted...
LeonSK357 posted...

I think the important thing here is there was an obvious attempt AT a horror atmosphere in Revelations. Not to mention, exploration and resource conservation was back to return a little more depth to a series that had essentially become "move down path A, murder horde X, move to room B, repeat."

As for whether it was scary or not, that's pretty relative to the individual. I was just relieved enemies weren't dropping ammo anymore. >_>

The plot was all around silly, but it's hard to find horror themed games these days...

I absolutely agree, it was a good attempt. Suppose I should've rephrased because while I didn't find the game very memorable, it wasn't necessarily bad. My beef with it was that it was on the 3DS and that thing was.... So very uncomfortable in my hands. Now that they've announced a console port, I just might pick it up again for a better experience.
---
http://i47.tinypic.com/xds7cn.jpg
#10_Uwye_Posted 2/9/2013 12:16:58 PM
Goldsickle posted...
Weren't they losing sales when they maintained the "survival horror" format?

It's not so black and white. The structure had been largely identical for six games (if not more), the story after RE:CV was going down the drain, and most games kept revisiting the mansion/Racoon City events. The series was experiencing fatigue the same way SF did, it wasn't the survival horror format per se the problem.