So it took Capcom 9 years to realize that RE audience wants the survival-horror

#31JELIFISH19Posted 2/10/2013 3:05:32 AM
Goldsickle posted...
JELIFISH19 posted...
but not with slow moving zombies and guns.

I don't see how "slow moving zombies" are any different than "slow moving pygmies", "slow moving ghosts" or "slow moving nurses" in any other game.

There is absolutely no excuse to have poor mobility in games, whether they're horror or not.
The only reason RE had poor controls was due to the technology at the time.
It persisted because it felt like the developers were too drunk with past glories and too proud to move on until the poor sales of RE0.
As Hiroyuki Kobayashi said, the old school games were "shackles holding us down".

Because those games are designed around the mechanics that work with the enemies. In FF, it's about timing. You can't just take pictures of them while you're 20 feet away. They have to be right in your face if you want to do damage. SH doesn't offer you the best combat controls and when it did, people complained that it wasn't scary because the player felt capable. When the player feels that they can handle whatever the game throws at them without difficulty, the game loses its scare factor most of the time. And slow zombies, guns, and good camera makes the game very easy to just breeze through.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
SSF4AE + BBCS2 + UMvC3 + MK = Life - Waiting desperately for Skullgirls
#32_Uwye_Posted 2/10/2013 4:02:44 AM
Goldsickle posted...
_Uwye_ posted...
Code:Veronica - initially relesead on a "doomed" system that sold 10 millions units total
REmake - released on an unsuccessful console that at the time had less than 10 million units, never ported to other consoles*.
RE0 - commonly regraded as the weakest RE game, released on an unsuccessful console that at the time had less than 10 million units, never ported to other consoles*.

Wow, you have an excuse for everything.

When it makes sense, yes.

Code: VERONICA did get ported to other platforms but still didn't sell.

Total sales of Code Veronica: 2.5 millions (plus an undefined quantity of RE:CVX on DC). More than vanilla RE1, DMC1 and Dino Crisis.

Oh please stop the idiotic "GameCube isn't a successful console".
Back when RE2 was released, people bought a PlayStation just to play RE2.
Why aren't people buying GameCubes just to play REmake?
It's because the "tank controls and prerendered backgrounds" format is getting stale.

Oh waaaaait. The "tank controls and prerendered backgrounds" format was getting stale? That's EXACTLY one of the reasons I was talking of. Then why were you talking that sales were tanking because they were survival horror games? Are you implying that survival horror games can only be done that way?
#33Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 2/10/2013 4:37:38 AM
Rising_shadow posted...
Fans want more survival horror but the games still sell more as action games. How does that work?
Either way, the only way the early RE games were horror at all was because the controls were garbage. Give RE RE6 style controls and you'd be swimming in ammo all the way.

they made more money as horror games because the budgets were smaller. they spend more money to make them as action games because action games need set pieces and epic cutscenes and alot of programers...

sure the action game might sell more, but it wont make as much money as the lower budgeted survival horror...

basic economics.
---
-choose death-
#34StrelokPosted 2/10/2013 5:08:45 AM
System Shock 2 was survival horror and that game was first perso- no wait, I rephrase.
It had potential to be co-op first person.

It's still one of the scariest games I've played.
Add in Thief and Thief: Deadly Shadows, both of which feature extremely scary levels...
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#35Teh_TiltyuPosted 2/10/2013 5:09:31 AM
why do they call oldschool RE "survival horror"?

they're more like survival puzzle (and comedy in RE1's case greatest voice acting ever)
---
http://i.imgur.com/kGwpi.png
#36DrLight66Posted 2/10/2013 5:33:39 AM
Rising_shadow posted...
Fans want more survival horror but the games still sell more as action games. How does that work?
Either way, the only way the early RE games were horror at all was because the controls were garbage. Give RE RE6 style controls and you'd be swimming in ammo all the way.

LOL, someone is pretending that he actually has played the old RE games.
#37Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 2/10/2013 6:41:33 AM
Teh_Tiltyu posted...
why do they call oldschool RE "survival horror"?

they're more like survival puzzle (and comedy in RE1's case greatest voice acting ever)

possibly why they are the best games ever.
---
-choose death-
#38GoldsicklePosted 2/10/2013 9:44:12 AM
JELIFISH19 posted...
Because those games are designed around the mechanics that work with the enemies.

Yeah, every time someone uses this argument, they keep forgetting that zombies aren't the only enemies in RE.

"The controls are design to accommodate the enemies"? Then that logic is totally flawed, due to the Hunters, Lickers, Nemesis, Cerberus & so on.

When you read about game development, "controls designed around the enemies" are almost never the case.
They simply implemented "these controls" and "those enemies".
They can only know if it works or not from feedback.

A lot of stuff, like dodging, strafing, etc. in RE games were canceled ideas or afterthoughts.

_Uwye_ posted...
When it makes sense, yes.

As in faulty excuses, to be specific.

Total sales of Code Veronica: 2.5 millions

Which took more than 10 years to reach.
The likes of RE5 took only a few months to reach 5 million copies.

Oh and Resident Evil 6 sold 4.8 million copies in a couple of months.

Sorry but it's not about the total but about the rate of sales.

Are you implying that survival horror games can only be done that way?

We never had this discussion but I never believed "survival horror" existed to begin.

Note that whenever I write "survival horror", I always write it in quotations.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#39YukitoRamboPosted 2/10/2013 9:53:50 AM
Uh... the fact that REmake and REZero, the last two horror games before RE4, were sold as GameCube exclusive seemed to have eluded some people. Of course they sold badly; it was a failing console, and people who owned Gamecube generally expect tamer games anyway.

Capcom wasn't satisfied with RE4's sales either, which was why they ended up porting it to PS2, much to Mikami's chagrin. Sales wouldn't have been that much of a problem if REmake or REZero was available on PS2 as well. But NO! PS2 owners before RE4 could only play Outbreak, which was actually a good series of games if not for the horrendous loadtimes.

I partially blame Nintendo for this.
---
"...Winning is of little consequence. What's important is communicating through one's fists."
GFWL tag: DoraemonJerlun
#40ss14knightPosted 2/10/2013 9:57:41 AM
RE always has and always hasn't been horror. Even after the change. Horror implies horrific events or creatures. Everything in RE is horrific, it's just subjective to opinion if it is horrific or not to each person individually.

Also I found Revelations a bit boring and overrated. It has current series gameplay and old-school pacing, which when mixed together, for me anyways, is kinda boring. 4 maintains it's place as my favorite of the series, 6 being a pretty damn good game too in my opinion. I just hope they don't bring back the older gameplay elements due to fan demand if they do a reboot, they were fine when the series was new, but they can do better than that now.