So it took Capcom 9 years to realize that RE audience wants the survival-horror

#41NorkenPosted 2/10/2013 10:24:23 AM
Zetta-Honey-Boy posted...
Rising_shadow posted...
Fans want more survival horror but the games still sell more as action games. How does that work?
Either way, the only way the early RE games were horror at all was because the controls were garbage. Give RE RE6 style controls and you'd be swimming in ammo all the way.

they made more money as horror games because the budgets were smaller. they spend more money to make them as action games because action games need set pieces and epic cutscenes and alot of programers...

sure the action game might sell more, but it wont make as much money as the lower budgeted survival horror...

basic economics.

THIS!!!!
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
Romans 14:8
#42B1GB0SS_86Posted 2/10/2013 10:50:02 AM
LeonSK357 posted...
I know this isn't really the place for this but... I still don't understand the praise that Revelations gets. I played it and there was honestly nothing memorable or even mildly creepy about it, but that's just me.

Yea revelations isnt even important to the story really. Its like a spin off.
#43YukitoRamboPosted 2/10/2013 11:03:05 AM
ss14knight posted...
RE always has and always hasn't been horror. Even after the change. Horror implies horrific events or creatures. Everything in RE is horrific, it's just subjective to opinion if it is horrific or not to each person individually.

Also I found Revelations a bit boring and overrated. It has current series gameplay and old-school pacing, which when mixed together, for me anyways, is kinda boring. 4 maintains it's place as my favorite of the series, 6 being a pretty damn good game too in my opinion. I just hope they don't bring back the older gameplay elements due to fan demand if they do a reboot, they were fine when the series was new, but they can do better than that now.

1. Maybe RE as it was first intended was never aimed at people like you who prefer just running into a room clearing everything in sight before moving on to another stage doing the same **** again. Maybe you should move on to other series, and leave RE to those who care.

2. You found REvelations boring. I played 20% of it on the 3DS and Jill's section had enough horror and fun to outclass RE4 despite also having Chris' action stages. I've been waiting for RE to try to be horror again and looks like we'll finally get to see that returning in some form of another.

3. Fan demand or not, Capcom follows where the money goes. Oldtime fans could not have much to go on when Capcom claimed RE4 a success and continued on that path while all of you action crazies mocked us with SALEZZZZ and told us to vote with our wallets. Now that RE6 and ORC bombing, you're gonna blame us, the supposed 'minority' for it like those goons did on DmC ?
---
"...Winning is of little consequence. What's important is communicating through one's fists."
GFWL tag: DoraemonJerlun
#44Rising_shadowPosted 2/10/2013 11:09:42 AM
RE6 sold 4.7 million copies. That's not bombing in the least.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#45ss14knightPosted 2/10/2013 11:26:14 AM
YukitoRambo posted...
ss14knight posted...
RE always has and always hasn't been horror. Even after the change. Horror implies horrific events or creatures. Everything in RE is horrific, it's just subjective to opinion if it is horrific or not to each person individually.

Also I found Revelations a bit boring and overrated. It has current series gameplay and old-school pacing, which when mixed together, for me anyways, is kinda boring. 4 maintains it's place as my favorite of the series, 6 being a pretty damn good game too in my opinion. I just hope they don't bring back the older gameplay elements due to fan demand if they do a reboot, they were fine when the series was new, but they can do better than that now.

1. Maybe RE as it was first intended was never aimed at people like you who prefer just running into a room clearing everything in sight before moving on to another stage doing the same **** again. Maybe you should move on to other series, and leave RE to those who care.

2. You found REvelations boring. I played 20% of it on the 3DS and Jill's section had enough horror and fun to outclass RE4 despite also having Chris' action stages. I've been waiting for RE to try to be horror again and looks like we'll finally get to see that returning in some form of another.

3. Fan demand or not, Capcom follows where the money goes. Oldtime fans could not have much to go on when Capcom claimed RE4 a success and continued on that path while all of you action crazies mocked us with SALEZZZZ and told us to vote with our wallets. Now that RE6 and ORC bombing, you're gonna blame us, the supposed 'minority' for it like those goons did on DmC ?

Why must people be so close-minded?
I never dissed old-school RE. I said RE4 was my favorite. I never said old RE was bad, I just do not think that it has aged well. And I believe I clearly stated that Revelations was only boring in my specific opinion. I didn't say "New RE rules, old-school sucks!", I said I feel that it did not blend the two together well. I never blamed old-school fans either, I know that some of them prefer the original controls, and that's cool, but I also know some think there was no room to improve off of them, that is not true.

It says a lot about the state of gaming when you can't state an opinion and rightfully label it as such without still having someone tell you "You're wrong because you have a different opinion, and this opinion is better than that opinion and here's why!"

I hate labeling gamers too, that's the stupidest. I'm not an action gamer that cannot appreciate old-school RE just because I love 4. I'm playing DmC right now which I enjoy, I just got done playing Skyrim which I am addicted to, and when I beat this mission I may play Dragon Quest IX. It's not like liking RE4 means all I am is someone who would "prefer just running into a room clearing everything in sight before moving on to another stage doing the same **** again".

/nerdrant
#46_Uwye_Posted 2/10/2013 11:30:59 AM
Goldsickle posted...
As in faulty excuses, to be specific.

Which they weren't. The idea that the userbase wasn't a factor because certain succesful games make people buy systems is a fallacy. RE4 is widely regarded as a masterpiece, and yet it sold "only" 1.6 millions on the Gamecube, just 350k more than the old & stale REmake.

Total sales of Code Veronica: 2.5 millions

Which took more than 10 years to reach.
The likes of RE5 took only a few months to reach 5 million copies.

Oh and Resident Evil 6 sold 4.8 million copies in a couple of months.

Uh? After a certain point it doesn't matter if it's 5 years, ten years or twenty years. It's not like new copies of Code Veronica for the DC or PS2 can still be found in stores.

Sorry but it's not about the total but about the rate of sales.

Do you know how quickly it reached that number, though? Vanilla RE1 sold 2.75 millions, if we just compare the total numbers it means that it sold proportionally worse than RE:CV.

We never had this discussion but I never believed "survival horror" existed to begin.

Note that whenever I write "survival horror", I always write it in quotations.

Oh, I get it now. Often quotation marks aren't used for inroic effect.
#47LeonSK357Posted 2/10/2013 11:37:05 AM
ss14knight posted...
It says a lot about the state of gaming when you can't state an opinion and rightfully label it as such without still having someone tell you "You're wrong because you have a different opinion, and this opinion is better than that opinion and here's why!"

And that's one of the reasons why I just don't bother too much when it comes to RE. I've loved it since 1998 and I've played almost all of the games, save Gaiden, Dead Aim, and Zero. 3 was my least favorite but not to say I didn't enjoy it. When it comes to the new direction, I loved RE4, 5 and 6 were cool but the main source of entertainment in those, for me personally, co-op. I've spent easily 300+ hours on RE5's story alone while playing it with friends. I'd spend just as much if not more in RE6 but my schedule is far different now than it was back then so there's not a whole lot of time.

Regardless, there's just no winning when it comes to RE. If you like the old style, you hate change. If you like the new style, you're a n00b. If you like both, your opinion doesn't matter because you're not a real fan :P
---
Damnit, who left the shed open? The tools are all over GameFAQs again!
http://i47.tinypic.com/xds7cn.jpg
#48Malus_X6Posted 2/10/2013 12:00:20 PM
I think we could use another RE game like Survivor.

I don't give a zombified s*** what anyone says. That game was cool.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#49j063356141Posted 2/10/2013 12:13:01 PM
from what that article said it probably wont get any better they said they want to make the next game scarier and more like a horror game again but they didn't say anything about survival so it may just be a scarier action game with no survival elements.
#50Zetta-Honey-BoyPosted 2/10/2013 1:35:37 PM
Rising_shadow posted...
RE6 sold 4.7 million copies. That's not bombing in the least.

its bombing when you consider that 4.7 million is still not enough to recoup the development costs. capcom wanted to make COD numbers on this... thats about 10 million.

contrast to the resident evil remake which only sold around half a million it even made the players choice label on gamecube, a good indicator of its success), which actually made a profit, because it didnt have the obscene development .
---
-choose death-