Not only did they **** up Dante...

#1TehPwnzererPosted 2/9/2013 9:24:41 PM
they also ruined what might have been the only redeeming quality about this game by writing a new arch for Virgil by making him the good guy all along and that right at the very tail end of the story, after everything is over and done with, they completely 180 him, right out of the blue ****ing nowhere with no lead up to his intentions for the whole game. It's just kind of thrown in your face like "well yeah, duh, that was the point of my order all along. Didn't you know? Was that not obvious with my lack of telling you or hinting to you my intentions throughout the whole game?" Where did that come from? Anyone who knows character development knows there would have to be build up and pacing with a twist like that. You don't leave it for the last 5 seconds of the game. Poorly written arch, poorly written game, what little character development there was between Dante and Virgil was wiped clean with piss poor pacing. I mean I played the others and knew Virgil was always the far more ambitious albeit jaded of the two, but he was always animosity between Dante and Virgil, none of this prancing around like a big happy family only to go bipolar at the very end.
#2caffiend7Posted 2/9/2013 9:28:15 PM
Imagine if that was Ninja Theory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjab76TJ3c
#3Malus_X6Posted 2/9/2013 9:28:16 PM
Don't speak of bipolar disorder in such a casual manner. >:(
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#4smithkakarotPosted 2/9/2013 9:28:42 PM
I don't care for the game's plot either, but it was at least foreshadowed by Phineas asking Dante who would take Mundus' place once he was dead.
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#5Qwesar23464Posted 2/9/2013 9:29:36 PM
There were hints throughout the game, so it wasn't the worst plot twist in all of existence in that regard. But I really hate that they did that, too, I thought they might have potential for giving a new spin on Vergil, not making him into a bad guy and showing what a relationship would be like between the brothers if they were on the same side. sadly, besides the writing of the characters, that whole thing went out the window so that they could say "hey, final boss fight is cool."
---
In Crowbar We Trust.
Please, call me B. Wolf
#6ramseanGoodbyePosted 2/9/2013 9:29:50 PM
I don't think they messed up Dante, I think he's pretty much the same with added swearing(which I didn't like). The bit you're talking about I agree was poorly developed, I think it would have been far more interesting to save his descent into evil for a second game.
#7bigdom93Posted 2/9/2013 9:31:39 PM
I know right, we already knew they were going to make him a become evil by the end of the game, or always evil and pretending to be good, because anyone in this game who is in the "1%" (which vergil is because of his software), is evil, we all knew as soon as they said that vergil was raised by a rich foster family.
#8TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 9:57:36 PM
smithkakarot posted...
I don't care for the game's plot either, but it was at least foreshadowed by Phineas asking Dante who would take Mundus' place once he was dead.

Technically you're right, but I thought he was more alluding to Dante, or some kind of deus ex machina that shows up at the end of the game. Virgil was far more educated and reserved and I would have accepted this if he was painted as a loose canon from the beginning with him speaking of racial superiority between nephelim and man. The grudge between Dante and Virgil needs a foundation, development, and they gave us nothing. Just a cheap, cheesy twist that came completely out of left field for the sake of fan service. A righteous slap in the face for those who actually liked him, because let's get real, Dante was a one dimensional goof. Virgil was much more interesting, and not just in this game.
#9DevilTears604Posted 2/9/2013 9:59:32 PM
How would you have written it?
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#10TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:25:09 PM(edited)
Virgil in the real world meets Dante and bonds with him. In limbo there is some ambiguous looking psychopath that is Virgil's dopplganger secretly controlled by Mundus as his avatar. This doppleganger would resemble Virgil's Nelo Angelo appearance in the original. A mute demon who does his work as a right hand and asks not questions. Mundus would use this vessel in a similar manner to the ring of Power in LOTR or as Voldemort's Horcruxes in Harry Potter. When Mundus is defeated, he would still need the last part of his sould ridden by detroying Limbo virgil. Real world virgil would know of his doppelgangers existence and its connection to Mundus' fate but wouldn't tell Dante know until after Dante finds out first hand obviously by destroying him himself. That would be a VERY much preferred ending to a character that has grown and developed as a "good guy" through the whole game. But I'm just putting that out there. Anything other than what I got would have been a better ending as long as it was consistent and not a cheesy attempt at shocking the audience. I mean the whole time Kat has known Virgil, we're supposed to believe that not once has he deviated from his true intentions? C'mon.