Not only did they **** up Dante...

#11DevilTears604Posted 2/9/2013 10:27:45 PM
TehPwnzerer posted...
Virgil in the real world meets Dante and bonds with him. In limbo there is some ambiguous looking psychopath that is Virgil's dopplganger secretly controlled by Mundus as his avatar. This doppleganger would resemble Virgil's appearance in the original. A mute demon who does his work as a right hand and asks not questions. Mundus would use this vessel in a similar manner to the ring of Power in LOTR or as Voldemort's Horcruxes in Harry Potter. When Mundus is defeated, he would still need the last part of his sould ridden by detroying Limbo virgil. Real world virgil would know of his doppelgangers existence and its connection to Mundus' fate but wouldn't tell Dante know until after Dante finds out first hand obviously by destroying him himself. That would be a VERY much preferred ending to a character that has grown and developed as a "good guy" through the whole game. But I'm just putting that out there. Anything other than what I got would have been a better ending as long as it was consistent and not a cheesy attempt at shocking the audience. I mean the whole time Kat has known Virgil, we're supposed to believe that not once has he deviated from his true intentions? C'mon.

So, you'd prefer the "you killed my evil twin!" fakeout?
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#12TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:43:19 PM
DevilTears604 posted...
TehPwnzerer posted...
Virgil in the real world meets Dante and bonds with him. In limbo there is some ambiguous looking psychopath that is Virgil's dopplganger secretly controlled by Mundus as his avatar. This doppleganger would resemble Virgil's appearance in the original. A mute demon who does his work as a right hand and asks not questions. Mundus would use this vessel in a similar manner to the ring of Power in LOTR or as Voldemort's Horcruxes in Harry Potter. When Mundus is defeated, he would still need the last part of his sould ridden by detroying Limbo virgil. Real world virgil would know of his doppelgangers existence and its connection to Mundus' fate but wouldn't tell Dante know until after Dante finds out first hand obviously by destroying him himself. That would be a VERY much preferred ending to a character that has grown and developed as a "good guy" through the whole game. But I'm just putting that out there. Anything other than what I got would have been a better ending as long as it was consistent and not a cheesy attempt at shocking the audience. I mean the whole time Kat has known Virgil, we're supposed to believe that not once has he deviated from his true intentions? C'mon.

So, you'd prefer the "you killed my evil twin!" fakeout?

I'd prefer anything from what they gave us. That's just one idea, and one idea that would at least stay consistent with the personality traits Vergil exhibited through the game and not completely abandoning all character development.
#13DevilTears604Posted 2/9/2013 10:56:27 PM
The thing about that though, is from my vantage point, Vergil sees nothing evil about his intentions. His goal was always to get rid of Mundus, to rid humanity of demon control. But at the same time, he truely believes humanity is not capable to governing themselves. (A discussion that might have some real life merit) As he said, under Nephilim rule, humans wouldn't be held down like they were under Mundus, but instead allowed to fulfill their true potential while under the watchful eye of the brothers. Vergil believes that with a strong hand to guide them, humanity can become much greater than they could on their own. Two problems with that...Dante believes humans ARE capable of great things on their own, and rule is still rule.

See, I knew Vergil would be the final boss. I didn't have any prior knowledge of it, I just knew. So what I was interested in was how they were going to create the rift between the brothers. They used Kat as a representation of humanity, which I thought was a good way to go. They set it up early on when she gets captured. Vergil, being very pragmatic and cerebral, doesn't see the cost-effectiveness in saving one girl rather than take down the demon king. Dante, being more loyal, visceral, and emotional, presses that Kat deserves the chance to be saved for everything she did for both of them. And then they cemented it after Mundus is dead. As Dante said, they would've failed a dozen times storming the tower if it wasn't for her. Vergil acknowledges that she was useful, but in the end, she wasn't the one who killed Mundus. It all comes down to, "Do you trust humans to better themselves on their own?" Dante said yes, Vergil said no.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V
#14TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:07:46 PM
My problem isn't Vergil's motive, I get that. My problem is the pacing and how they saved the core foundation of his beliefs to the very tail end. Rule had nothing to do with Vergil's objective for the entirety of the game. It was never hinted at. If he truly believed in what he did, he would make damn sure to share his political beliefs with Dante and Kat from the beginning. You can see this during the end when Vergil without hesitation repeats himself after Dante's pardons him. He had nothing to hide, so how did it go unmentioned this whole time. I'll tell you how, poor writing. A rift between brothers has to be more substantial than that, and unfortunately, it wasn't. It ruined all measure of emotion the game tried to make you feel towards him. It felt like betrayal, but not from Vergil, from the writers. They don't know how to write good character arcs.
#15ramseanGoodbyePosted 2/10/2013 4:23:13 AM
I think the ending would have been a lot easier to swallow, if during the game they'd shown a scene demonstrating how humans couldn't be trusted. Maybe had a human character, who either betrayed The Order or Sparda and Eva. Give me a reason to empathise with Vergil. The ending just makes him look like an ass
#16StrelokPosted 2/10/2013 4:28:52 AM
DINO similar to Dante?
Lolno.
Just.... no.
They are as similar as a fresh orange (Dante) and a filthy fatsoaked hamburger that was dropped to the ground (DINO).
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#17ramseanGoodbyePosted 2/10/2013 4:31:56 AM
Strelok posted...
DINO similar to Dante?
Lolno.
Just.... no.
They are as similar as a fresh orange (Dante) and a filthy fatsoaked hamburger that was dropped to the ground (DINO).

What's DINO, please tell me its not the word the tweens are describing the new Dante as lol.
#18produnerPosted 2/10/2013 4:55:36 AM
smithkakarot posted...
I don't care for the game's plot either, but it was at least foreshadowed by Phineas asking Dante who would take Mundus' place once he was dead.

Other politician and leaders? don't merge the two worlds in the first place?
#19FireMage7777Posted 2/10/2013 5:00:47 AM
ramseanGoodbye posted...
Strelok posted...
DINO similar to Dante?
Lolno.
Just.... no.

What's DINO, please tell me its not the word the tweens are describing the new Dante as lol.

There's many nickname's for the new Dante. Donte, DINO (Dante In Name Only), Etnad, F***youthedemonkiller, trash
---
Goku can lift a MINIMUM of 3.1212 quadrillion tons in base form, get it right ScrewAttack
The official Valbanisher
#20FireMage7777Posted 2/10/2013 5:03:15 AM
The twist is so bad. I feel sorry for those that play DmC without any knowledge of Vergil from the original series; otherwise the end is super contrived
---
Goku can lift a MINIMUM of 3.1212 quadrillion tons in base form, get it right ScrewAttack
The official Valbanisher