So after recently going back to play the old DMC games...

#1Glasses_GuyPosted 2/12/2013 1:54:05 AM
I have to say I really enjoy the way the controls are laid out in DmC. I also think that trying to make the various abilities from the different styles from the DMC 3/4 available without actually having styles is a pretty good idea. It just felt so smooth when it came to acrobatics and weapon switching.

I felt after recently replaying DMC 4 that the control scheme for Dante just felt unnecessarily complex. Doing anything really stylishly with dante in DMC 4 just seemed to require a vast amounts of finger gymnastics since I had to constantly switch between styles and toggle through 2 sets of 3 weapons at a pretty fast rate in order to do any cool tricks.

If they decide to make a DMC 5, I hope they manage improve upon what DmC attempted to do with streamlining the styles and weapon switching while retaining more of the options and speed of the old series. Also, they need to bring back the lock on just for zeroing in on enemies. Dear lord, picking off the stupid little flying enemies in DmC is so much more annoying than it has to be.
---
Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, and I shall smite you with unholy magic! -- Grimoire Weiss
#2wolf riderPosted 2/12/2013 2:05:57 AM
Glasses_Guy posted...
I felt after recently replaying DMC 4 that the control scheme for Dante just felt unnecessarily complex. Doing anything really stylishly with dante in DMC 4 just seemed to require a vast amounts of finger gymnastics since I had to constantly switch between styles and toggle through 2 sets of 3 weapons at a pretty fast rate in order to do any cool tricks.

Yeah, they rushed Dante in DMC4.

I think a good number of people actually prefer only two weapon sets so you don't have to remember how many times you have to press R2 to get the desired weapon during a combo.
---
"When was the last time someone said 'Man, I wish this game had MORE QTEs'? Never mother******. That's when!" ~ Samuel L. Jackson on QTEs
True story.
#3Psychochild27Posted 2/12/2013 2:30:50 AM(edited)
Eh. I always felt DmC Dante was the way they should've evolved Nero's gameplay (Though obviously with weapons designed around Exceed in mind, bringing back Busters, Devil Trigger worth a damn along with Table Hopper and axing the stances entirely as they drive me mad). I'll admit Dante was cumbersome to pick up, but the on-the-fly style system is a good gameplay niche for him that fits his character wonderfully and distinguishes him from Nero and Vergil even further.

It really ought to be explored and refined in a sequel bringing Trickster, Gunslinger and Royal Guard back to their former DMC3 glory and making Swordmaster into a full fledged second melee button with its own normal/delayed combos (At least for Aerial options) so that each style can stand much better on their own, but gives the player the option to hot-swap to pull off the sort of shenanigans you see in DMC4.

Besides, I think more people took offense to shuffling through six weapons at once than actual style switching. Nothing kills the flow of a combo faster than forgetting you had Pandora equipped when you were going for Rainstorm.
#4A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/12/2013 7:38:55 AM(edited)
Yeah, cycling through 3 weapons was my main problem with DMC4 Dante.

If DMC5 happens I think it should go back to just having 2 weapons, or possibly 2 sets of two weapons. Like, regular DMC3 weapon switching with 2 guns and 2 Devil Arms, but that would be just 1 set. And you could press a button to change to a second set of 4 weapons.

That system would have worked better in DmC I think. Rather than pressing left and right to swap Angel/Demon weapons individually, just have one button that swaps both.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#5SephirothDZXPosted 2/12/2013 7:38:54 AM
The gameplay in DmC really isn't that bad, it's just not as thought out or as polished as DMC3 or 4's in my opinion.

In general that's the best way to describe DmC... its not horrible but oh man could it be better
#6Nick_KazamaPosted 2/12/2013 8:38:32 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

It takes like less than a second to do.
---
My harem -
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/NIck_Kazama/bunnyharuhi.jpg
#7FireMage7777Posted 2/12/2013 8:39:26 AM
Nick_Kazama posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

Just double tap
---
Casualization and complacency; the two things dooming gaming
The official Valbanisher
#8A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/12/2013 8:43:55 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

So? I didn't like it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#9Pesmerga255Posted 2/12/2013 9:03:58 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

So? I didn't like it.

I don't like the stupid L2/R2 holding thing. It's easy to do but it just feels awkward and clunky.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#10Nick_KazamaPosted 2/12/2013 9:11:14 AM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
A_Nonny_Moose posted...

So? I didn't like it.

So, cry me a river.
---
My harem -
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/NIck_Kazama/bunnyharuhi.jpg