is vergil considered a villain?

#41darkdragon_9600Posted 2/13/2013 6:07:42 AM
Kyrylo posted...
Ink-Ribbon posted...
darkdragon_9600 posted...
Big difference here...Dante didn't know what would happen...Besides, it was Vergil who destroyed the hell gates in DmC, not Dante.

So, fail harder next time.

Donte agreed and helped with the plan of destroying the hell gate, thus is responsible, regardless of who did what. And if he decided to go against Mundus, he accepted the fact that people could die when they enraged Mundus, the same way Vergil accepted people could die when he opened the gates or summoned the Temen-Ni-Gru.

So, fail harder next time.

Who is Donte?

Sorry, but I can't take you seriously if you don't say the correct name. If it's Dante, then he didn't know what would happen.

Mundus was the villain, he had to be defeated. That's different.

defense in nutshell. DAnTE pissed Mundus. He knew what power could be unleashed. Oh, well, yeah, he ACCIDENTLY murdered thousands of innocent people he supposed to save. Not only that he unleashed armies of demons on world, which gonna led to extermination of another few millions. Oh, wow, modern hero all the way.

So, was there any other way to defeat Mundus at all?

Dante and Vergil had to draw him out of the hell gate. That wasn't a choice.

Vergil from DMC 3 had a choice. 2 entirely different things.

Not if he wanted to defeat those responsible for his mother's death (read: Mundus). Older Dante stood no chance against him without Sparda, neither would Vergil.
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#42SuperSocratesPosted 2/13/2013 6:10:46 AM
To define a villain, you should consider the interplay between their actions and their intentions. Villainy is of varying levels due to these two qualities. Negative/negative is a through villain; positive/negative is still ultimately a villain but encroachs upon antihero territory if approached a certain way; negative/positive is similar and is also used to craft sympathetic villains. An antagonist is an opposing force to the protagonist. So, for example, if you're reading a book where the protagonist is a villain, it's possible that the antagonist is a hero.

Vergil, with his callous disregard for the damage that his endeavour would wrought and his all-consuming desire for power, definitely qualifies for villain, though I would stick Arkham as the more traditional main villain with no redeeming qualities. Still, I would classify Vergil as ultimate antagonist of DMC3. As he himself said, "you don't possibly believe that [Arkham] deserves to be our main event, now do you?"
---
Ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
#43RetsuxDPosted 2/13/2013 6:11:38 AM
Hell, Vergil didn't even know how to use the Force Edge, as evidenced by that single-stroke battle.
#44Ink-RibbonPosted 2/13/2013 6:12:37 AM
SuperSocrates posted...
To define a villain, you should consider the interplay between their actions and their intentions. Villainy is of varying levels due to these two qualities. Negative/negative is a through villain; positive/negative is still ultimately a villain but encroachs upon antihero territory if approached a certain way; negative/positive is similar and is also used to craft sympathetic villains. An antagonist is an opposing force to the protagonist. So, for example, if you're reading a book where the protagonist is a villain, it's possible that the antagonist is a hero.

Vergil, with his callous disregard for the damage that his endeavour would wrought and his all-consuming desire for power, definitely qualifies for villain, though I would stick Arkham as the more traditional main villain with no redeeming qualities. Still, I would classify Vergil as ultimate antagonist of DMC3. As he himself said, "you don't possibly believe that [Arkham] deserves to be our main event, now do you?"

^

This, 100%
#45AlexxShadenk777Posted 2/13/2013 7:02:23 AM
Vergil was never the villain. He is Dante's antagonist, but never a villain. He cared only about himself, disposed of whatever or whoever he deemed useless in his search for power, and only fought Dante because he stood in his way. Vergil never had evil intentions, he never wanted that power to destroy humans or rule the earth, he just wanted it because he was unable to defend his mother when demons came and raided their home when he was only 8. While he's matured, his decision hasn't changed, as he clearly hasn't been able to get over the fact there was nothing he could've done back then, and is convinced that only attaining that power will he find inner peace.

Not caring that a great number of people die in the process does not make him a villain, or evil. That's just his personality, apathy towards anyone who isn't himself, because the last person he held most dear to him died within his grasp and he failed to protect her. So apathy is the only valid emotion for him. By definition, evil seeks out to do harm, but this isn't his case at all, he didn't proactively try to get innocent people to die, that's just collateral damage afterall.

Therefore, Vergil is a true neutral. He doesn't do anything for good or evil, and he doesn't care about anyone but himself. All he wants his power for himself, and that is his only motivation.

Coincidentally, I tried making an alignment 3x3 some time ago, might as well post it here. Should I clarify the rest of the cast?
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8985/dmcalignment.jpg
---
PSN: AlexxShadenk777
"DMC1 is the best, DMC4 is the worst. Not changing this signature till DMC1 gets its true sequel." January 17th 2013
#46SpacePirateSealPosted 2/13/2013 8:52:18 AM
*Reads many posts* Looks like people didn't pay attention in their 9th grade English class.
---
PSN>TheReal_Seal I'm the official Vega of the universe!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/TrangOul-1280/hero/25125410
#47QCTeamkillPosted 2/13/2013 9:29:12 AM
Vergil is a vilain, in both series.

He's got redeeming factors, such as he had a bad childhood and wears blue. But anyone who kills people with purpose, or let them die without a second thought is evil.

Said it before but, it's funny there's some to defend Vergil in DmC just like old times.
#48SSJ_JinPosted 2/13/2013 9:36:11 AM
Vergil is the villain we deserve, but not the one we need right now.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#49FireMage7777Posted 2/13/2013 9:45:27 AM
QCTeamkill posted...
Vergil is a vilain, in both series.

He's got redeeming factors, such as he had a bad childhood and wears blue. But anyone who kills people with purpose, or let them die without a second thought is evil.

Said it before but, it's funny there's some to defend Vergil in DmC just like old times.

Who does Vergil kill? Go on, I'll wait
---
"FlameBaiting is like Jc on DMC, it's smooth and takes skill. A DmC pro like you would never be able to pull it off" 5hadows
#50darkslayer001Posted 2/13/2013 9:58:59 AM
i think Vergil has only villainous intentions but his backstory and his redeeming qualities kinda makes him an anti hero, or a antagonist.