is vergil considered a villain?

#61fallenangel2100Posted 2/13/2013 1:55:51 PM
Vergil is an antagonistic villian

He has redeeming qualities such as having albeit a warped sence of honor though hes willing to betray people who helped him, he loves his family though he doesnt know how to show it

Vergil however is still a villian in that he uses anyone to further advance his goal and disposes them when he deems them useless or have simply displeased him like the reaper he killed after mission 2

Vergil is antagonistic since he is clearly willing to ally himself with dante to beat a common enemy but is easily able to heel turn again at the drop of a hat when his objective is within reach
#62FireMage7777Posted 2/13/2013 2:02:46 PM
fallenangel2100 posted...
Vergil is an antagonistic villian

He has redeeming qualities such as having albeit a warped sence of honor though hes willing to betray people who helped him, he loves his family though he doesnt know how to show it

Vergil however is still a villian in that he uses anyone to further advance his goal and disposes them when he deems them useless or have simply displeased him like the reaper he killed after mission 2

Vergil is antagonistic since he is clearly willing to ally himself with dante to beat a common enemy but is easily able to heel turn again at the drop of a hat when his objective is within reach

Just because someone uses pawns doesn't make them a villain...
---
"FlameBaiting is like Jc on DMC, it's smooth and takes skill. A DmC pro like you would never be able to pull it off" 5hadows
#63fallenangel2100Posted 2/13/2013 2:15:31 PM
When the pawn is disposed of easily without remorse its considered a villanous trait
#64FireMage7777Posted 2/13/2013 2:21:57 PM
fallenangel2100 posted...
When the pawn is disposed of easily without remorse its considered a villanous trait

Depends on the pawn...
---
"FlameBaiting is like Jc on DMC, it's smooth and takes skill. A DmC pro like you would never be able to pull it off" 5hadows
#65mad_hax_manPosted 2/13/2013 3:09:28 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see how people aren't seeing the fact that Vergil attempting to open up the gates of hell, unleashing demons upon the earth just so he could get over his inferiority complex doesn't put him straight in the villain section.

DmC Dante is a different case. He actually thought that killing Mundus was better for humanity than keeping the hell gates shut. That might make him stupid, but not a villain

AlexxShadenk777 posted...

Not caring that a great number of people die in the process does not make him a villain, or evil. That's just his personality, apathy towards anyone who isn't himself, because the last person he held most dear to him died within his grasp and he failed to protect her. So apathy is the only valid emotion for him. By definition, evil seeks out to do harm, but this isn't his case at all, he didn't proactively try to get innocent people to die, that's just collateral damage afterall.

He was willing to kill thousands of people for the sake of his inferiority complex. He intended to cause suffering on countless innocents for his wn selfish reasons. How the eff does that not make him a villain?
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart
#66prince_nagashPosted 2/13/2013 4:34:06 PM
This is a hard topic.

Factors like intentions, or collateral damage can contribute to whether or not we view someone as a villain.

I would say motivation and purpose would be the ultimate way to determine someone's alignment.

It's not easy, because I could easily say I have good intentions, but my actions to keep spending money selfishly or recklessly or supporting companies that damage the world or take advantage of people could place me in the villain category. Or how I don't spend my time and money on ways to help and save people, for the greater good. That could push me into the villain category could it not?
#67NostalgiaRulesPosted 2/13/2013 4:38:34 PM
This Vergil in DmC is too.....inconsistent. He says he wants to save the world, he's glad that he found his twin brother, he helps to defeat Mundus, he rescued Kat in the comic...and yet, he does and says cold-hearted things. Like leaving Kat behind, turning on DmC Dante and that......terrible scene with him and Lilith.

He just goes back and forth too much.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#68360pagesPosted 2/13/2013 4:58:01 PM
Not carrying about innocent people dying does not make you a villain, as long as your not the direct cause. That being said, Vergil would have been the direct cause of those deaths so I can't say much.

It's like saying Shirou from Fate/Stay night is a villain in the heaven feel route because he let innocent people die to save his girl friend.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#69SilentS89Posted 2/13/2013 5:27:06 PM
360pages posted...
Not carrying about innocent people dying does not make you a villain, as long as your not the direct cause. That being said, Vergil would have been the direct cause of those deaths so I can't say much.

It's like saying Shirou from Fate/Stay night is a villain in the heaven feel route because he let innocent people die to save his girl friend.

Vergil wasn't the direct cause of any human deaths in DMC3.

Vergil didn't kill Arkham, Lady did.

The temen-ni-gru probably killed people when it rose, but who is to say that Vergil knew that would occur? Either way Vergil didn't directly kill any humans whatsoever in DMC3.

Oh, and people totally argue that Shirou is a villain in that route.
#70360pagesPosted 2/13/2013 5:38:12 PM
SilentS89 posted...
360pages posted...

Vergil wasn't the direct cause of any human deaths in DMC3.

Vergil didn't kill Arkham, Lady did.

The temen-ni-gru probably killed people when it rose, but who is to say that Vergil knew that would occur? Either way Vergil didn't directly kill any humans whatsoever in DMC3.

Oh, and people totally argue that Shirou is a villain in that route.

Well, he WOULD have been, if he was successful, though he knew what was going to happen and tried to do it anyway. But as you said he didn't really kill anyone, he's probably not a bad person. Just misguided.

And this is the first time I heard people considered Shirou a villain, since he was pretty messed up about having to make a decision like that.

Though the whole.

"I want to be a hero, but if I do I won't get no sex... GOD IS DEAD!" Is pretty funny.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)