To sum up shatter:

"Mate here's the same fight with different dialogue"
"Cool. Now show me one with the dialogue you told us about"
"OMG MATE I JUST POSTED A LINK THAT HAS DIFFERENT DIALOGUE JUST STFU MATE"
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#82Wolf_Torrent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:48:57 AM
NightmareGamma
*tip TC's shoulder* Pssht... I have news for you! Mundus claimed himself to be a god! So Lilith is referring to him =D

Let's say that's the definitive truth, that Lilith and all of demonkind think of Mundus as a god...but he isn't really, is he, not in the same sense that God is a god.

Why would He allow Hell's bicycle to speak his name in vain? And even if Lilith was referring to Mundus, she's essentially owing worship to a false deity, which is a big deal in the Bible and a slight guaranteed for a bit of divine retribution.

Except nothing happened to her. She wasn't stuck down or nothin'. Can you come up with a reason why Heaven doesn't seem to have much sway in Limbo city?
#83UbberDevilPosted 2/16/2013 11:15:09 AM
Wolf_Torrent posted...
NightmareGamma
*tip TC's shoulder* Pssht... I have news for you! Mundus claimed himself to be a god! So Lilith is referring to him =D

Let's say that's the definitive truth, that Lilith and all of demonkind think of Mundus as a god...but he isn't really, is he, not in the same sense that God is a god.

Why would He allow Hell's bicycle to speak his name in vain? And even if Lilith was referring to Mundus, she's essentially owing worship to a false deity, which is a big deal in the Bible and a slight guaranteed for a bit of divine retribution.

Except nothing happened to her. She wasn't stuck down or nothin'. Can you come up with a reason why Heaven doesn't seem to have much sway in Limbo city?

You'd think after Mundus killed one of their angels that they would do something. Maybe they didn't care because Eva was mating with a devil but even that doesn't make sense because, according to legend, their off-spring can kill the demon king. So it would make more sense if Heaven did more to protect Dante but, no. He got to live in an orphanage filled with demons.
---
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen. GT: MongooseDave2
#84Wolf_Torrent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 12:52:17 PM
Taboos can be the ultimate roadblock. For demons, mating with the enemy can be seen as a complete reversal of what they're fighting for, that being vengeance against Heaven, and the destruction of mankind. For angels, the thought of taking a demonic mate may be comparable to doing it with an animal. Worse, maybe.

A viable weapon is disregarded by the forces of good because, c'mon, eewwww demons! We're better than that!

All of this speculation, of course, but that's the fun part.
#85game freakozoidPosted 2/16/2013 1:22:29 PM
Wolf_Torrent posted...
^Based on its roots, it should mean more to a demon if spoken aloud. Taking that into account, why not come up with a better reason than "it's a turn of phrase" or "Tamtam made a mistake," eh?

You're basing your whole argument on what we would consider and our real life examples. The simple fact that in this game's story with the demons it isn't as big of a deal. It also doesn't matter whether or not Mundus is an actual god, what matter's is that he is considered one by his subjects.

I feel like it has completely been described why in this case it is fine. Hell, the simple fact that it is a turn of phrase and nowhere does it say that even invoking God's name would smite a demon shows that its fine. You're putting restrictions where restrictions don't need to be.
#86Wolf_Torrent(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 3:22:03 PM
game freakozoid
You're basing your whole argument on what we would consider and our real life examples. The simple fact that in this game's story with the demons it isn't as big of a deal...

I feel like it has completely been described why in this case it is fine. Hell, the simple fact that it is a turn of phrase and nowhere does it say that even invoking God's name would smite a demon shows that its fine. You're putting restrictions where restrictions don't need to be.

My arguments stems from the knowledge that this series is loosely based on the Divine Comedy, more specifically, Dante's Inferno. The predominant religion of the time was Roman Catholicism, which influenced both poet and his work.

Background info received? Good.

Having said that, I realize the game never put emphasis on anything other than Dante, his family, and the hellspawn he fights, but because the work of Alighieri does come from our world, it being used to create DMC means that certain aspects can be logically assumed to exist in the game's universe.

Such as the presence of Satan, Hell, Heaven. God. Especially now, considering angels have finally made a flesh and blood appearance.

I'm not asking why things are the way they are from the perspective of a critic, or how knowledgeable you are with the English language. I'm asking others to come up with reasons why they think things are the way they are within the lore of DmC.

If you think it's only a turn of phrase that even a demon is able to casually speak aloud, then tell me why you think that's possible. Don't give me meta-gaming logic, I want DmC logic.