Maybe it is about the hair. (spoilers for main game and Vergil's Downfall)

#1UbberDevilPosted 2/21/2013 11:58:55 AM
Don't take this topic too seriously, just something that came to mind.

Hair seems to be the most dynamic feature in this game (namely Dante and Vergil's hair). Dante starts out with all black hair, then after devil triggering for the first time it has a small patch of white. Then at the end it fully turns white and slightly longer when he was in DT for an extended period.

Vergil starts out with all white hair that is kind of pulled back in a professional looking manner. It is like this for all of the main game but then changes during his chapters. It gets disheveled with his bangs now hanging down almost over his eyes. Then when he gives in to his devil side (I think that's what happens) his hair turns glowing white with it being spiky, similar to DMC3 Vergil.

So, we can say that the hair isn't a reason we dislike the game but the hair is a dominant motif in this game, so that's kind of funny.
---
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen. GT: MongooseDave2
#2portuguese100Posted 2/21/2013 12:32:04 PM
You've been posting so little in these boards. I missed you, UbberDevil.
And yes, hair is definitely used to show character progression in this game (little of it as there is).
#3UbberDevil(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 1:05:58 PM
portuguese100 posted...
You've been posting so little in these boards. I missed you, UbberDevil.
And yes, hair is definitely used to show character progression in this game (little of it as there is).

I'm flattered :) I don't post much because there's not much to post about. Though I do enjoy the back-and-forths between shatterstar and me (usually entertaining). Lately I've been really antsy because I can't wait for the Vergil DLC to come out; especially since I know it's available, they're just not giving us our codes.

Other than that it's just pissing contests between so called pros and antis and while I find humor in reading them I don't usually feel the need to contribute.
---
#4A_Nonny_MoosePosted 2/21/2013 1:10:30 PM
The fact the Dante's hair turns white as he gains and uses demonic power and could be a sign of his de-humanisation would have been a nice tip off that Vergil had already been down that path and lost his humanity, since his hair is already white, and would have set up the end of the game rather well.

If it weren't for the fact that Vergil is shown to have had the white hair since childhood, despite his twin brother having black hair, and therefore the hair colour lacks any significance at all for Vergil. He just has white hair because it's cool or whatever, despite that not being a good enough reason for Dante to have white hair.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#5UbberDevil(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 1:25:42 PM
Agreed. It was a strange choice to have it so Vergil always had white hair. It contradicts and confuses the imagery in how it works for Dante. Yes, Dante's hair turning all white is due to the same problem Vergil was having in that DT was taking over his mind and body. But we can't see these signs for Vergil since he always has white hair. We have to be told that it's poisoning his mind.
---
#6UbberDevil(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 1:38:35 PM
I don't feel like making a new topic so lets talk about this, too...

I was looking at some of the enemy concepts and noticed a few that didn't make it into the game...even though they seem to be really good and better than what did get in the game. Specifically Onyxs and Giants.

The concept for the Onyx interested me since I heard that in the prequel comic Vergil got scarred and tried to run away like a little girl when he was told some Onyxs were on their way to get him and he heard how strong they were (our hero). So I looked forward to unlocking that concept. Once I did I noticed that they look like those statue things that you have to activate in M18. They have a white demon inside of them or something. They looked fun to fight and I'm sad that they aren't in the main game or the DLC. I thought they would be in the DLC since that would give Vergil a chance to redeem himself and kick their asses.
---
#7thelastgogetaPosted 2/21/2013 2:59:17 PM
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
The fact the Dante's hair turns white as he gains and uses demonic power and could be a sign of his de-humanisation would have been a nice tip off that Vergil had already been down that path and lost his humanity, since his hair is already white, and would have set up the end of the game rather well.

If it weren't for the fact that Vergil is shown to have had the white hair since childhood, despite his twin brother having black hair, and therefore the hair colour lacks any significance at all for Vergil. He just has white hair because it's cool or whatever, despite that not being a good enough reason for Dante to have white hair.

Human? Excuse me for butting as we more or less accepted that being part angel hasn't really contributed much at all (no more than having angel weapons on the street anyway)... Do angels have any definitive characteristics... >_> Or the angel thing is just to make em seem more important (this Nephilim thing) and functions to make them angel, demon and human....
---
Get, Play The Undersold Triforce: Z+W, NMH, Okami!
PM of the SSR Board + Ninja of SATBK/SATFS forever
#8rice_noodlesPosted 2/21/2013 3:17:45 PM
"We in the West tend to be more functional adding things that have meaning and being able to explain that meaning. Why does Dante have white hair? I want to make a little story around that and explain it. And so on for the rest of his design choices."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/38190/ninja-theory-on-dmc-reboot-were-not-pretending-were-japanese-or-apologising-for-it/