DMC4 accept it.

#1produnerPosted 2/25/2013 2:16:27 PM
People hate DMC4 because:

-nero, you know the character that is hated because of the attitude and taking over another character, there are similar cases with raiden in MGS2 and even dante in DMC3 when he was weaker than vergil, thus hated by the fans of the latter.

-backtracking, even though it was for 5 or 6 missions, with more and different enemies and puzzles.

-The plot and story were kinda weakly implemented.

-Difficulty reduced.

-less atmospheric game and the storyline was weak.

-Dante screwing around.

-kyrieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ( annoying but served its context, should have been handled better).

DMC4 is underrated and the feedback really hurts the series. It introduced great game mechanics with nero and he's an interesting character that might develop into something great.

Aside from that, people don't give enough credit to the idea and meaning of the order of the holy knights ,and the jab at religions and corruptions. They've used an awesome settings (fortuna castle) for their operations which contained some dark and nice concepts but they were weakly implemented like making "demon technology", i mean agnus' artificial demons, hell gate and weapons. If the previous concepts were implemented heavily, had stronger main villains , had huge impact on the storyline and the whole thing was dangerous instead of dante breezing through the whole ordeal of creating a large ass demon-god, the storyline and plot would have been amazing.

Besides, Dante used to screw around in DMC1 but he was more serious and determined because of the events after DMC3 and encountering trish (remembered his mother).
#2KyryloPosted 2/25/2013 2:19:56 PM
I personally hold DMC4 whiners guilty as much as NT or Crapcom.
#3Dark_EpathyPosted 2/25/2013 2:29:58 PM
And many of those same things apply to DmC. : \

I like DMC4. It's a good game. Yeah, it has its flaws, but Nero was a breath of fresh air. Let's face it--Dante peaked with DMC4. I'm not surprised Capcom couldn't figure out what to do with him. He trivialized the game and the story.

The literal backtracking and recycled bosses do say something about the production cycle. It was rushed, right? I won't get into a discussion about exclusivity, but, simply put, the game is what the game is. Those are weaknesses, however you slice them. They don't kill the game (and they shouldn't), but they still could have been better implemented.

The story was okay. It didn't add anything meaningful to the mythology aside from maybe the Hell Gates and Nero, but it was an enjoyable romp around pretty locales.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#4RayconPosted 2/25/2013 3:38:15 PM
produner posted...
-backtracking, even though it was for 5 or 6 missions, with more and different enemies and puzzles.

I think it was a lot more than that... I love DMC dearly for it's backtracking, which usually boils down to going back and forth between rooms and unlocking new places (which there was plenty of in DMC4 before the Dante sections). But then we had literally copy and pasted sections with absolutely no change or variety to spice it up.

I absolutely loved DMC4, but this one is a very legitimate complaint, I think. Amazing combat aside, level design felt like only half the game as it was intended.

= /
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#5sjwho2Posted 2/25/2013 3:41:52 PM
The only reason DMC4 is hated for legitimate reasons is that it was unfinished.
#6Edward_R_MurrowPosted 2/25/2013 4:02:47 PM(edited)
It was ordained by the great Gamefly that I receive DMC4 instead of MGR or Dig my Cojones, and so I've been giving it a second chance. I was initially disappointed by it, and didn't really play around with the game much, only trudging through the normal mode on console and tooling around in Legendary Dark Knight on a friend's PC. After a decent amount of play, I can really say that I was mostly wrong about DMC4.

Nero is a fun character, and my only real complaints with him are that I can't do Ex-Act consistently to save my life and that R2/Right Trigger button really would have been splendid as a dedicated dodge button (or at least be able to be mapped to shoot concurrently with Square/X Button). Fun character with a lot of nuance and hidden variety.

Backtracking doesn't bother me. Even though the environments are the same, the change in character along with new enemies/encounters more than makes up for that. Throw in the unique gimmicks in each area (teleporter mazes, faults, toxic gas) and things felt pretty fresh.

A complaint I never had, but was really baffled by was the griping about recycled bosses. Yeah, you fight a lot of them twice, or even thrice, but there are more unique bosses in the game than most action games boast and most importantly, the average quality of the bosses in DMC4 is superb. There's only one real dud of a boss of the nine. Arguably better than DMC3's greater quantity of bosses but with a few real stinkers and certainly better than Bayonetta with fewer bosses and terrible average quality in the boss department. Let's not even get started on something like God of War 1, which was lauded by reviewers.

Yeah, I done goofed in rippin' on DMC4 when it came out. Look what happened because of it too.

Huh, can edit post now. Cool
---
dfsdfsddfsdfsddf
#7RetsuxDPosted 2/25/2013 4:14:35 PM
I started playing 4 after being done with 1 and 3 and somehow I didn't hate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4uR_fEmy1c
#8pokefan35Posted 2/25/2013 4:30:00 PM
Was there room for improvement in 4? Yes. It is absolutely OK to ask for those improvements. To suggest this game "DmC" as some sort of fan punishment is completely absurd.

DMC5 should be an upgrade, and they SHOULD take positive criticism. It's their job to make better games, not worse games.
#9Psychochild27Posted 2/25/2013 6:03:59 PM

Nero is a fun character, and my only real complaints with him are that I can't do Ex-Act consistently to save my life and that R2/Right Trigger button really would have been splendid as a dedicated dodge button (or at least be able to be mapped to shoot concurrently with Square/X Button). Fun character with a lot of nuance and hidden variety.

Exceed's easy enough - When you hit an enemy, you'll see a big streak from the weapon impact effect cross over them. Hit Exceed them and you'll get a charge, no problem.

And really, I had no qualms with DMC4 at launch. It's rather telling of how fantastic DMC4 was when DmC Dino with all his weapons and options and sharing so many of the same tools/moves Nero has can't keep my attention for more than twenty minutes, but I can lose a hell of a lot of time just dicking around in Bloody Palace on DMC4 with the guy who has nothing but a single gun and sword to his name. I haven't touched DmC in weeks now because I rather be spending that time with DMC4.
#10KingEtemonPosted 2/25/2013 6:05:30 PM
My only negative towards DMC4 is you're forced to play as Nero for a long duration of the game. Aside from that though, 9/10 experience.
---
~Gujin
HAIL TO THE KING, BABY