If they didnt change dante or the story do you think the game would still be

#11dillpickle69Posted 3/2/2013 2:09:15 AM
Yes, besides gameplay people were pissed about Donte and the story, so take that out and it would have done better.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
http://www.mindistortion.tv/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=dillpickle61
#12qlaxmicmizzel38Posted 3/2/2013 4:38:22 AM
Kyrylo posted...
AlxT91 posted...
Not at all.

If you compare the gameplay honestly to DMC 3 and 4, it's smoother and more intuitive than either. The camera is better, the enemies are better, the pacing is better, and it lacks the terrible backtracking of DMC4.

There would be some disappointment in the shift in mechanics, the boss fights would also catch some flack in that they aren't as jawdropping as the previous games... but the fact is that DmC plays like any other* DMC game.

*Any other: DMC 3 and 4, which are the only ones people acknowledge from a gameplay point of view.

Tip:what you call "smoother and better" rest of the world calls mindless butonmashing. Gameplay in DmC is mirror copy of combat from Darksiders 2...which wasn't THE best combat up to date.

What you call "mindless button mashing" is the same kind of combat that was in every DMC game, except with more variety...
---
"If you look good, you are good."
#13Muscle BusterPosted 3/2/2013 4:45:26 AM
qlaxmicmizzel38 posted...
AlxT91 posted...
Not at all.

If you compare the gameplay honestly to DMC 3 and 4, it's smoother and more intuitive than either. The camera is better, the enemies are better, the pacing is better, and it lacks the terrible backtracking of DMC4.

There would be some disappointment in the shift in mechanics, the boss fights would also catch some flack in that they aren't as jawdropping as the previous games... but the fact is that DmC plays like any other* DMC game.

*Any other: DMC 3 and 4, which are the only ones people acknowledge from a gameplay point of view.

HOLY CRAP someone on this board isn't a liar and/or idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about!

*drinks soda*

Nice to see pros still trying, bless their souls.
---
Don't look at me like that, you cretin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4CL4Y2Cx0 / http://tinyurl.com/8ccm7pv
#14KyryloPosted 3/2/2013 4:52:25 AM
qlaxmicmizzel38 posted...

What you call "mindless button mashing" is the same kind of combat that was in every DMC game, except with more variety...

nope. here you can just mindlessly mash any attack button and kill anything that moves. Because it just doesn't tries to kill you. Even hardest enemies in game can be defeated by holding one button. It's Dynasty Warriors gameplay. not DMC.
#15AlxT91Posted 3/2/2013 5:19:14 AM
Kyrylo posted...
AlxT91 posted...
Not at all.

Tip:what you call "smoother and better" rest of the world calls mindless butonmashing. Gameplay in DmC is mirror copy of combat from Darksiders 2...which wasn't THE best combat up to date.

What I called 'smoother' was the combat, and it is when you compare it to DMC3 and 4. The lack of a lock-on(and walking slowly with it) make a big difference, with the bigger one being Dante having 'dodge' mapped to a button and any direction without being tied to lock-on.

That's the reason trickster was so strong in DMC3, because it allowed free dodges in any direction (and I-frames to boot!).

I called the camera 'better', because it is. That is a fact. A great deal of DMC3's fighting is done without all the enemies being on screen (or even most of them), with most of the hells dashing out from behind the camera. It's possible to roll with this if you know A) the sounds, B) The small particles and tells, C) Enemy placement.... but in DmC? The camera just works. It works so well that lock-on doesn't feel necessary after a playthrough or two of DmC.

And gameplay? It stops being "mindless button-mashing" by the start of Son of Sparda, and the gameplay is not Darksiders at all.

It's Devil May Cry.

Rebellion feels the same in DmC as it does in DMC 3/4. The Gauntlets are also prettimuch the same thing we've been using since DMC1. Osiris (The Scythe) gives definite Ceberus vibes, and the Kablooey is Lucifer from DMC4... hell, the combos have the same pacing and animation style. It's all there.

And I'm saying that as someone who has played DMC3 since the day it came out in America (Back in '05), the preorder bonus Wall Scroll is hanging up above my computer as I'm typing now(It's made out of cloth, pretty bauss). I have DMC4's CE tin displayed on my bookshelf along with the anime's DVDs and some DMC figures propping it up.

I love the series, I love Devil May Cry.

But I'm also realistic about it. I can see the flaws in DMC3 and 4, I can also see how DmC excels in some areas and is weaker in others. It's a great game, a great DMC game, and doesn't deserve the excessive flak it gets for the most asinine reasons.

So please, don't pull the hoighty-toity hard-core DMC fan stuff on me. I am that fan, I know the games, and I love them all (even DMC2). Also: baseless "It's exactly like another pretty good game, that it's not" and "rest of the world agrees with me." stuff isn't a valid argument or debate.

DmC's biggest problem is two fold (and relates to the topic)
1) A vocal part of DMC fandom has been overly asinine and unfair in regards to all things DmC
2) Tameen and Ninja Theory failed absolutely in PR and handling fan dissent. They could have been constructive, engaging, and understanding. They could have been proactive with the community and the press. They could have given us the exact same game but in a way that fans could have gotten behind and enjoyed. But they needed to be the professional adults here.
---
Desktop w/2gb Radeon HD 7870~ 3.6x8GHz AMD FX-8150 (OCd to 4.5GHz)~ 16gb DDR3 ram @1866~ 23.6 ASUS 1080p Monitor
#16Retroxgamer0Posted 3/2/2013 6:19:52 AM
caffiend7 posted...
so it would still have pointless platforming and shallow combat?

reminds me of devil may cry 1
#17RetsuxDPosted 3/2/2013 6:21:14 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
caffiend7 posted...
so it would still have pointless platforming and shallow combat?

reminds me of devil may cry 1

Typical fanboy who can only defend his game by bashing on the older ones.
#18MoreFunThanTVPosted 3/2/2013 8:01:25 AM
AlxT91 posted...
Not at all.

If you compare the gameplay honestly to DMC 3 and 4, it's smoother and more intuitive than either.

As ABadNuffDude pointed out once (where is that guy btw? Guess he moved on lol) despite the fact that you have access to 3 weapons at a time here it pretty much takes all 3 of those weapons to equal the moveset of one weapon in the old games.

Take Rebellion for instance, a great deal of its actions have just been spread out among the other weapons to cheaply count them as new weapons. It's the equivalent of if in Street Fighter V they made 6 new dudes in the game for every one old character with them each having only one of the old characters moves and then people talking about how awesome it is to have all these unique characters now when in reality they only gave you all these characters by being cheap as f*** and you only have access to about half the moves you previously had.

The camera is better,

I thought the camera was horrible since the only way to move it is to use the right analog stick opposed to just using the lock on + a left analog stick direction to automatically shift its focus to the enemy you want like in DMC3 and 4.

When I first played DmC I had only played DMC1 and 4 (and those were only rentals) so why lock on = superior camera system was less apparent to me. But I've since beaten all the old DMCs and I'm not even sure if I could go back to DmC's horrendous camera and inaccurate auto locking system now.

the enemies are better,

I don't agree with this at all either, as far as AI, number of actions and even agression goes this game has horrible enemies compared to the old ones. Hell even DMC3's almost docile scarecrows atleast had more varing types and the enemies later on more than made up for there tameness. Almost every fight in this game feels basically the same mainly due to the fact that once you get good at it pretty much every enemy can be beaten with the same tactic every time you meet them unlike in the old games where due to the enemies' larger moveset and new tougher variations still kept you on your toes. Basically the reason I got bored with this game like halfway through and had to force myself to finish it, the enemies here are just so damn boring.

the pacing is better,

Hated this game's pacing too since I basically had every actions unlocked by the end of my first playthrough I found little reason beyond hard diffuculty challenges or trophies (which I don't give a single f*** about to be honest) to play it over again whereas in DMC3 I only had like half the actions and only 1 style full upgraded which made me want to replay it and try things outside of my comfort zone.

and it lacks the terrible backtracking of DMC4.

I might be alone on this one but having played DMC1 and 3 honestly this game could have done with alittle backtracking in their styles. While I agree completely the Dante part of 4 was a tad lame due to the fact that you basically backtrack through the entire game I actually like how it was handled in 1 and 3 (and Nero's part of 4, you know exploring the castle and such) since it gave the world a more real less straight line feel that it has here. Plus I dunno the worlds themselves seemed to have more lore I guess because of it. Take the castle in DMC1 for instance the backtracking gave it an almost metroidvania feel (hell if you take out mission screens it almost would have been) and if the entire game had just been a straight line with none of the backtracking I don't think it would have been as great of a place as it turned out.

But this one is just my opinion, I don't really mind backtracking especially when it's backtracking to get to a new place since it makes the game feel less linear and the world feel more important, two things I felt that were problems here.
#19Ink-RibbonPosted 3/2/2013 8:05:10 AM
AlxT91 posted...
Kyrylo posted...
AlxT91 posted...
Not at all.

What I called 'smoother' was the combat, and it is when you compare it to DMC3 and 4. The lack of a lock-on(and walking slowly with it) make a big difference, with the bigger one being Dante having 'dodge' mapped to a button and any direction without being tied to lock-on.

That's the reason trickster was so strong in DMC3, because it allowed free dodges in any direction (and I-frames to boot!).

I called the camera 'better', because it is. That is a fact. A great deal of DMC3's fighting is done without all the enemies being on screen (or even most of them), with most of the hells dashing out from behind the camera. It's possible to roll with this if you know A) the sounds, B) The small particles and tells, C) Enemy placement.... but in DmC? The camera just works. It works so well that lock-on doesn't feel necessary after a playthrough or two of DmC.

And gameplay? It stops being "mindless button-mashing" by the start of Son of Sparda, and the gameplay is not Darksiders at all.

It's Devil May Cry.

Rebellion feels the same in DmC as it does in DMC 3/4. The Gauntlets are also prettimuch the same thing we've been using since DMC1. Osiris (The Scythe) gives definite Ceberus vibes, and the Kablooey is Lucifer from DMC4... hell, the combos have the same pacing and animation style. It's all there.

And I'm saying that as someone who has played DMC3 since the day it came out in America (Back in '05), the preorder bonus Wall Scroll is hanging up above my computer as I'm typing now(It's made out of cloth, pretty bauss). I have DMC4's CE tin displayed on my bookshelf along with the anime's DVDs and some DMC figures propping it up.

I love the series, I love Devil May Cry.

But I'm also realistic about it. I can see the flaws in DMC3 and 4, I can also see how DmC excels in some areas and is weaker in others. It's a great game, a great DMC game, and doesn't deserve the excessive flak it gets for the most asinine reasons.

So please, don't pull the hoighty-toity hard-core DMC fan stuff on me. I am that fan, I know the games, and I love them all (even DMC2). Also: baseless "It's exactly like another pretty good game, that it's not" and "rest of the world agrees with me." stuff isn't a valid argument or debate.

DmC's biggest problem is two fold (and relates to the topic)
1) A vocal part of DMC fandom has been overly asinine and unfair in regards to all things DmC
2) Tameen and Ninja Theory failed absolutely in PR and handling fan dissent. They could have been constructive, engaging, and understanding. They could have been proactive with the community and the press. They could have given us the exact same game but in a way that fans could have gotten behind and enjoyed. But they needed to be the professional adults here.

Best post of the day! XD

You have a new fan now, me! Couldn't have said better. XD
#20largerockPosted 3/2/2013 8:05:42 AM
It would gain a bit more sales but would still flop badly.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.