Why was DMC2 so hated?

#11RetsuxDPosted 3/2/2013 2:17:37 PM
Here's this guy almost entirely meleeing TDE on DMD, it's fun to see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBBXknA_-E
#12rockman11_zPosted 3/2/2013 2:18:43 PM
DmC flopped like manure flopping to the toilet bowl.

It flopped.
---
Previous rank 5 all time in the world Capture the Leader/Guardian Gears of War 3. Official fiancee of Naoto Shirogane( it's canon too)
#13Edward_R_MurrowPosted 3/2/2013 2:30:28 PM
RetsuxD posted...
Here's this guy almost entirely meleeing TDE on DMD, it's fun to see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuBBXknA_-E

Huh, the Frost Heart actually works on him. Go figure, I never thought of using an amulet loadout like that on TDE because most bosses just shrugged off the extra slow/hitstun.
---
dfsdfsddfsdfsddf
#14NeoFalconHavok(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 2:32:08 PM
Edward_R_Murrow posted...
-Most of the game punished you heavily for using anything but projectile weapons, especially as Dante, turning the game into some weird third-person-shooter with lock-on and dodging.

-No real moveset upgrades, and the few that exist are not pointed out at all. For instance, the game never tells you how to do Fireworks with the shotgun or how the basic combos change up in Devil Trigger.

-Dante was the most boring character in his own series. Trish and Lucia were both a lot more fun and varied in almost every way. Dante didn't even have special DT attacks in his regular DT form, whereas Trish had Air Raid and Lucia had her goofy lasers and pillars.

-No variety in melee for Dante and Lucia, except for really strange stat modifers where you traded range of melee attacks for damage instead of something interesting or sensible like speed/moveset for damage. At least Trish could put Sparda down and have use some Ifrit-style moves with her bare hands.

-Bad boss design that encouraged projectile spam or were just completely unthreatening. Jokatgulm (the hydra thing) is one of the worst bosses in action gaming. The penultimate boss for Dante is absolutely broken in that you can find plenty of safe spots to hide from his immobile ass and turn him into swiss cheese. Let's not mention much about the invisible fish.

-Even most "good" bosses didn't have enough melee opportunities. Most notable is the final boss as Dante. It is an incredibly aggressive boss with lots of different actions, and could have been one of the better boss fights in the series if only you could actually melee it.

.......Well damn.

So actual melee combat is a bust?
---
"If this guy has a problem with GameFaqs users that like Nintendo games, he can kiss my ass."
LMFAO
#15tehdudPosted 3/2/2013 2:46:06 PM
ramzariot posted...
Boring. Still better than DmC though.

This sums it up perfectly.

I agree
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#16Psychochild27Posted 3/2/2013 2:48:50 PM
NeoFalconHavok posted...

.......Well damn.

Not only that, they actually changed how combo branches were input. While 1, 3 and 4 used delayed button timings, 2 requires the player to waggle the control stick left or right at a certain hit of the combo to get a specific combo. This had a nasty side effect of getting you unintended stingers or high times when it wasn't feeling ****ty to pull off in the first place.

There's also a lot of very context-sensitive actions - There has to be an enemy to Dante's side which is required to pull off a Twosome Time (Which was inconsistent even when it did work and it was basically a single side shot), or to do a Rainstorm you have to do a double jump, a wall run jump, a wall hike and shoot at the peak of the jump which is -annoying- because there's many times you want to be able to shoot at an enemy directly in front of you.

It's just an unpleasant game to play because the feel of the game and the controls are terrible across the board. Mix that with truly uninspired enemy design (Which after DMC1 was a HUGE step down) and you're in for a bad time.
#17SasukefirePosted 3/2/2013 2:55:20 PM
I shouldn't have to explain why 2 is even worst than this game. It's that bad.
---
Please refrain from speaking with me. I am a troll. It is in your best interest that you put me on ignore. I deserve to suffer for my sins.
#18NeoFalconHavok(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 3:06:56 PM
Psychochild27 posted...
NeoFalconHavok posted...

.......Well damn.

Not only that, they actually changed how combo branches were input. While 1, 3 and 4 used delayed button timings, 2 requires the player to waggle the control stick left or right at a certain hit of the combo to get a specific combo. This had a nasty side effect of getting you unintended stingers or high times when it wasn't feeling ****ty to pull off in the first place.

There's also a lot of very context-sensitive actions - There has to be an enemy to Dante's side which is required to pull off a Twosome Time (Which was inconsistent even when it did work and it was basically a single side shot), or to do a Rainstorm you have to do a double jump, a wall run jump, a wall hike and shoot at the peak of the jump which is -annoying- because there's many times you want to be able to shoot at an enemy directly in front of you.

It's just an unpleasant game to play because the feel of the game and the controls are terrible across the board. Mix that with truly uninspired enemy design (Which after DMC1 was a HUGE step down) and you're in for a bad time.

That almost sounds similar to Modern Zelda's combat with the stick waggle. Now that rainstorm move sounds awful to pull off. You have to do all of that just to do this one move? Good lord!
---
"If this guy has a problem with GameFaqs users that like Nintendo games, he can kiss my ass."
LMFAO
#19Psychochild27Posted 3/2/2013 5:46:48 PM
NeoFalconHavok posted...

That almost sounds similar to Modern Zelda's combat with the stick waggle. Now that rainstorm move sounds awful to pull off. You have to do all of that just to do this one move? Good lord!

Typo there. Basically the peak of a second jump. It's annoying though if you're fighting say a boss who sets the floor on fire, you double jump and shoot to keep your combo only to end up shooting the ground directly beneath you, killing your style accolade rating (Which also is a big issue - The way they handle scoring in that game feels awful compared to 1 or even 4 with its BS Orbs requirement).

I never made the Zelda connection before, though that's because in Zelda the input is intuitive as it affects the direction Link thrusts his sword and honestly doesn't have a huge impact on gameplay other than an aesthetic flourish while with Dante, the difference between a four hit Rebellion combo and a six hit combo that looks like Nero's Red Queen Combo C is a waggle of the stick on the third hit.
#20Darkmoone1Posted 3/2/2013 5:50:06 PM
I just played through the first mission of DMC2 and good god I don't want to start that up again. Why do I want to play that when I can play DMC1 on hard or DMC3 with a full expanded move list with Dante or Vergil?
---
YESH,YESH