So do we know if the game bombed yet? Any word on it's sales and figures?

#11SiLVeR_420Posted 3/7/2013 10:53:56 PM
xKazerux posted...
G1ingy posted...
This game better not encourage Capcom to outsource their franchise to western devs. Castlevania went straight to the garbage chute after being given to Mercury Steam. Nier's international version went to hell after employees in LA forced changes to the international version.

The one and only instance where such a strategy worked out is with Donkey Kong back in the SNES days...although that's mostly attributed to Rare's talent (although Rare hasn't been doing so well lately)

....I miss Rare's glory days....

In all fairness, Lords of Shadow wasn't all that bad of a reboot. It definitely wasn't the next Symphony of the Night or even my favorite 3D Castlevania (that belongs to Lament of Innocence) but there's no denying it was still a quality game. I'm pretty bummed that there seem to be no more Castlevanias in the original timeline anymore though..

And Nier was still great, currently my favorite RPG. I'm only disappointed we didn't get both versions here and only the Papa Nier one instead.

I'm not sure what's going to happen to Castlevania but Mercury Steam is done after LoS2. That's the end if their trilogy. Last castlevania you may see from them after LoS2 would be a HD port of Mirror of Fate
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#12KaptainK00lPosted 3/7/2013 11:00:59 PM
Why are you looking to Gamefaqs for this info?
---
GT: iKaptain K00Li
''Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.''
#13nobodys_saviorPosted 3/7/2013 11:18:03 PM
You know, Lament of Innocence actually had one of my favorite game soundtracks ever, second only to Silent Hill 2.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/RandomJankMTG?feature=g-user-u
Like Magic The Gathering? Like Youtube Vids? Watch mine about both!
#14G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 11:21:19 PM
I didn't say Lament of Innocence had bad music, the one with the crap music was Lords of Shadow and it's 3DS game.
#15KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 3/7/2013 11:23:35 PM
nobodys_savior posted...
You know, Lament of Innocence actually had one of my favorite game soundtracks ever, second only to Silent Hill 2.

Great music is basically a staple of Castlevania now. Honestly, this was my biggest disappointment with LoS. I can get over the boring combat. I can get over the predictable story. I can even get over the fact that the last boss was the most random and weird thing ever. But the music was so dull, I just couldn't take it. I had to mute the game and play some good Castlevania music just to get through one play through. It'd be like rebooting Cowboy Bebop and replacing the music with a bunch of watered down forgettable tracks. It's just not right.

The only sound in that game that I even remotely enjoyed was Patrick Stewart, but that goes without saying.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#16xKazeruxPosted 3/7/2013 11:33:10 PM
G1ingy posted...
xKazerux posted...

In all fairness, Lords of Shadow wasn't all that bad of a reboot. It definitely wasn't the next Symphony of the Night or even my favorite 3D Castlevania (that belongs to Lament of Innocence) but there's no denying it was still a quality game. I'm pretty bummed that there seem to be no more Castlevanias in the original timeline anymore though..

And Nier was still great, currently my favorite RPG. I'm only disappointed we didn't get both versions here and only the Papa Nier one instead.

It lost a number of things iconic with Castlevania titles though, mainly a MEMORABLE musical score that stood out, exploration, homage to old horror films and cryptids, etc. The one thing it improved on is whip aesthetic where you look like you're actually swinging a whip now...although they also removed a lot of weapons making you use nothing but a whip.

As for Nier...the main lesson to take from Nier can be shown in it's sales figures. The ORIGINAL unchanged version sold fantastically and was well received. The International version that was ruined by a-holes in LA got mixed reviews, bombed, and killed the company. A lot of people boycotted the game because no one wanted to support the decisions of dumbasses in LA. While the game still had some issues here and there even if it wasn't changed, it still lost a massive chunk of sales for such a move, not to mention it completely ruined the story with that move. "Let's take a fleshed out character and completely change his age, appearance, and relationship with other characters well into the game's development because d-bags in America says so!"

Although to be fair, if they had started with the old man, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. But it's the cause of the change that turned many people away...okay, the looks played a part too since he was genuinely ugly, the lament of the dev saying that he was forced to make a choice he hated didn't help too.

Can't argue about the music not being so great. Amazing soundtracks were a lot of what I loved about the original timeline's games. Even Judgment, as poorly received as it was, had a wonderful soundtrack and possibly my favorite version of Bloody Tears (hard to decide between that and Arcade's version). I did have a few problems with LoS, namely things you mentioned. The exploration could've been better had they not segmented everything into separate stages like that but I guess they were trying to give it that Classicvania stage feel, same with only giving you a whip. I'm hoping the later two games heavily improve on a lot of the flaws LoS had, I dunno how Mirror of Fate is yet but it looks pretty interesting.

I didn't really know about the whole LA fiasco involving Nier. I always thought the two were developed at the same time (young and old Nier) but they thought that western gamers would prefer an older, uglier character as opposed to the younger pretty boy type. I'll admit that the version we got was still really sad and the whole father trying to save his daughter thing just hit me, but I probably would've related to and liked the brother version more because of how I care about my own little sister. I'm really tempted to import the Japanese PS3 version of the game..
---
PSN: KazimusPrime // XBL: xKazerux
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/KazimusPrime.png
#17SiLVeR_420Posted 3/7/2013 11:33:25 PM
nobodys_savior posted...

Anything Akira Yamaoka touches is guaranteed to be great.
---
Forgive the name.
#18SiLVeR_420Posted 3/7/2013 11:37:47 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
nobodys_savior posted...

Great music is basically a staple of Castlevania now. Honestly, this was my biggest disappointment with LoS. I can get over the boring combat. I can get over the predictable story. I can even get over the fact that the last boss was the most random and weird thing ever. But the music was so dull, I just couldn't take it. I had to mute the game and play some good Castlevania music just to get through one play through. It'd be like rebooting Cowboy Bebop and replacing the music with a bunch of watered down forgettable tracks. It's just not right.

The only sound in that game that I even remotely enjoyed was Patrick Stewart, but that goes without saying.

The last boss was my only problem with the game. I expected it to be Death but nope. He came out of nowhere.
Jason Isaacs made it acceptable atleast.

Also the music. Be personally I liked the music but I know its not great. Only track from its ist I think I'd great is Gabriels theme it the Agharta theme.
LoI still holds the top spit as my favorite in the soundtrack department.
---
Forgive the name.