What happened to videogames? (Nostalgic reflexive thread)

#1vicsua789Posted 3/10/2013 5:56:07 PM
First of all, I choosed this board because its very active, so sorry about that, if you dont like this please you can just ignore it.

It would be nice if only the people who read all the topic comment so they can understand better this point of view even if they disagree with me.

I was watching a gameplay of vergil must die on youtube by that user seraphim and in the recommendations there was a gameplay video of an old xbox game called "kingdom under fire: the crusaders", I instantly clicked on it since it is one of my favorite games ever on the old xbox and that was the beginning of an old games compilation on youtube for me, I saw at least 25 videos of different games that I had on ps1 and xbox since those were the only 2 consoles that I had before xbox 360 and ps3, that means no ps2, no gamecube, no nintendo 64.. I played those, but were not mine, only with friends that had those consoles.

Then I remembered all the good times that I had playing games in ps1 and xbox (mostly on xbox) and couldnt find why videogames these days are not that epic and that fun, THEY ARE GREAT TOO, since I play tons of modern videogames in my free time, but they turn boring after a few hours and I cant find out why, maybe you guys will feel the same and will share ur opinion or will disagree with me and tell my what do u think..

Its just that after all this time I still remember how great "old school games" were and now videogames industry is just selling sequels of games that WERE EPIC, and now they are just great and cool looking.

These days the games I play the most are:

DmC
MGRR (Great one that keeps some of that "old school magic" with bosses and gameplay

RE4 and RE6 (MP modes are fun)

Black ops 2 (addictive MP sad but true)

Dead Space 1 and 2 (I tried to like the 3rd one, but the same story repeated, the ruined a franchise by making it generic, simplistic, not fun and took away what made it great IMO)

DMC HD Collection (topic explains why)

Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (NG3 was an insult)

If you guys saw, RE4, dmc hd collection, Ninja gaiden 1 and 2, are old titles that can be played in modern consoles and the other ones are just games that keep me entertained for some hours when Im bored (especially BO2 MP)

On the other hand, in Xbox I had a ton of epic games that I could play 100+ hours without getting bored:

Ninja Gaiden Series (NG black is the best game ever made)

Kingdom Under Fire crusaders and heroes

Burnout Revenge

Sudeki (One of the most underrated and awesome RPG“s and videogame in general ever made)

Fable the lost chapters (better than any other game of its style)

Midnight club 3 DUB Edition

Halo 1 and obviously Halo 2 the best FPS in history

Soul Calibur Series (best fighting game IMO)

GTA San Andreas (bring on the cheats and the fun)

And much more..

In ps1 there were a lot of epic games too but to not make this topic way bigger than it alredy is lets just mention the most epic ones (people who know these games please raise your hand)

Spiderman

Soul Reaver

Rayman 2

Chrono Cross

Castlevania SOTN

and here we have the most underrated masterpiece of PS1, I would brofist anyone who knows this

OMEGA BOOST

So here you guys have, my opinion (or maybe my question) on what is the thing modern games lack and why they are not that epic in contrast to old games

PSN: victornero
#2Dersu_UzalaPosted 3/10/2013 6:01:01 PM
and here we have the most underrated masterpiece of PS1, I would brofist anyone who knows this

OMEGA BOOST

Brofist. Polyphony Digital's best game by far, screw Gran Turismo. Only major flaw is that godawful tunnel stage.

You need to get out of the Skinner box that is Black Ops II ASAP. If you have to play an online FPS, try something like Quake Live.
#3tehdudPosted 3/10/2013 6:02:09 PM
Maybe cos gaming has reached the peak last gen. This gen is just better graphics but slowly going back downhill.
---
CAPCOM = Conning All Players Cash Over Morals
http://i.imgur.com/ypVtf.png
#4Japanese_JadePosted 3/10/2013 6:03:58 PM
"A Broader Audience" approach happened which extended to corporate greed.
---
Should AKIRA be made into a live action film?
Simple answer: LOL no
#5vicsua789(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 6:04:02 PM
Dersu_Uzala posted...

OMEGA BOOST

Brofist. Polyphony Digital's best game by far, screw Gran Turismo. Only major flaw is that godawful tunnel stage.

You need to get out of the Skinner box that is Black Ops II ASAP. If you have to play an online FPS, try something like Quake Live.

Its just awesome when there are more people who played this beast of a game. brofist
#6Dersu_UzalaPosted 3/10/2013 6:06:50 PM
I just wish they hadn't used a Static-X song in the US version of Omega Boost.
#7RayconPosted 3/10/2013 6:10:12 PM
Japanese_Jade posted...

It was probably all about corporate greed from the beginning. But games weren't so mainstream and profitable back then, and development costs weren't nearly as high. With the emphasis on stunning visuals and cinematic set pieces, games these days are much more expensive and as a result, publishers are less willing to put stock in risky investments.

It was probably simple back then to put a game together and see how it fared compared to watching millions go to waste (like it probably did in DmC's case). Personally, I'd take a hit in the visual department if it meant we could go back to new and exciting gameplay and exploring creativity once again. Everything just starts to feel the same, these days. Last game I bought was DMC4, and that was months ago; nothing new has caught my interest since.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#8Dersu_UzalaPosted 3/10/2013 6:14:51 PM(edited)
My general impression of the 8 and 16-bit eras (and to some extent 32-bit) is that the publishers didn't care too much about what the developers did with their games, as long as they thought they could sell them. This led to plenty of stinking turds that were obviously in need of a lot more playtesting and QC, but it also allowed for some truly creative, challenging and groundbreaking works, the likes of which are very rare today.
#9Japanese_JadePosted 3/10/2013 6:15:38 PM
Raycon posted...
Japanese_Jade posted...

It was probably all about corporate greed from the beginning. But games weren't so mainstream and profitable back then, and development costs weren't nearly as high. With the emphasis on stunning visuals and cinematic set pieces, games these days are much more expensive and as a result, publishers are less willing to put stock in risky investments.

It was probably simple back then to put a game together and see how it fared compared to watching millions go to waste (like it probably did in DmC's case). Personally, I'd take a hit in the visual department if it meant we could go back to new and exciting gameplay and exploring creativity once again. Everything just starts to feel the same, these days. Last game I bought was DMC4, and that was months ago; nothing new has caught my interest since.

I highly recommend getting into indie games then. There are so many indie titles priced under $20 that fair so much more replay value, enjoyment, depth, and substance over much of the AAA releases during this generation.
---
Should AKIRA be made into a live action film?
Simple answer: LOL no
#10TheSL1ClubPosted 3/10/2013 6:20:55 PM(edited)
Back then developers put their souls into their games, nowadays you can hardly call any game a masterpiece, not because our expectations are too high, it's just that they tried this 'broader audience' approach and dumb down everything, you cannot feel any 'magic' in these games, the only games I constantly come back to this gen are AE2012 and Dark Souls, that's about it. And yea I find some indie games nowadays are infinitely better than some AAA titles.