Is DmC a success or did it flop?

#91Capitan_KidPosted 3/14/2013 5:47:19 PM
No need to throw insults. I was just asking him to back up his claims.
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#92360pagesPosted 3/14/2013 5:47:32 PM
Even if not a single fan bought the game only about 600K-700K of people bought it, that isn't really a lot.

On the plus side, MGR:R debuted in 5th place only being beaten out by CoD Dead space Crysis and NBA.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#93Grey_Fox4Posted 3/14/2013 6:55:11 PM(edited)
Pesmerga255 posted...
Ninja Theory's other games are considered flops. Heavenly Sword and Enslaved both received a lot of "critical acclaim". What separates DmC from them?

I fail to see where this "DmC has won" mentality comes from.

Mainly you don't dedicate every second of your existence to bashing those games. You aren't going to live forever and this is how you spend your time.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=88824&d=1343855519

You spend every waking hour bashing this game I don't know you and I your life is *****. I say that as fact not out of anger.

Find any one or combination of the following:

-Friends
-Cocaine

My posting is second fiddle to those things and I'm better for it.
---
Currently looking forward to: Devil May Cry 5 and The Rapture.
#94donkeyjackPosted 3/14/2013 6:53:22 PM
It flopped and I'm so happy about it.
#95sillycatstevenPosted 3/14/2013 10:31:29 PM
Japanese_Jade posted...
sillycatsteven posted...
in case you haven't heard, this game is meant to be dark, edgy and serious... the writing was so bad that they somehow achieved the exact opposite. and don't even get me started on all those the repeats they have in the dialogues.... in fact, the game's full name shows how bad the writing in this game is... DmC: Devil May Cry... unless they changed what DmC stands for, the full title is a double repeat of the same name separated by a colon, just one is abbreviated and one isn't. BTW the most common use of the colon is to inform the reader that what follows the colon proves, explains, or lists elements of what preceded it. in this case i think the title is saying the DmC is made up of "Devil" "May" and "Cry".... WTH!?!?!

and there's next to zero character development. the only development for Dante was that before he was fixated on himself, booze and one-night-stands. now he's fixated (and have a puppy crush) on Kat...

Ahhh, the "this game was supposed to be serious, dark, and gritty and it wasn't so it's bad" statement. :)

The Evil Dead movies were supposed to be horrifying and scary. They ended up being hilarious and fun to watch every time. So I guess because the film staff didn't hit the mood and dialogue tone they were aiming for, the movie is just bad in general. Logic at it's finest.

I also liked your argument for trying to tie the plot quality & title to justify your point. Really cute. :3

As for "lack of character development", it seems clear you and KA_ME didn't play the game at all from what you're both saying, which is perfectly fine. But if you're going to knock on something, at least do better research. If you have played it, I'm sorry to inform you that Dante's growing attachment to Kat is only a small part of everything else that happens in the game.

i agree sometimes missing the original goal may turn out to be a good thing, but DmC is not one of those incidences. it didn't just miss the original goal, it did not just miss what most of the fans expected, it also missed to capture what most of other gamers want.... but regardless, if you didn't achieve your aim, then it failed... there are two aims for DmC, one to sale copies, and two to achieve what NT said they are going to achieve. achieving both would be great, but just achieving one is also okay. unfortunately, NT achieved neither... therefore it failed.

and plot quality and title does have some correlation with each other. someone with good writing skills can usually think of average and above titles. the theme of repeating stuff is evident throughout the game, and the first and foremost is the title.

and it's because out attitude like yours that i went and rented the game. managed to play to the first 2 missions of DMD mode and finished all bonus levels and find all tormented souls. done in less than 40 hours too.
---
PSN: SillyCat659221 Add Me, i'm in NZ
Go now, if you want it / Another world awaits you.
#96Japanese_JadePosted 3/14/2013 10:41:12 PM
sillycatsteven posted...
and it's because out attitude like yours that i went and rented the game. managed to play to the first 2 missions of DMD mode and finished all bonus levels and find all tormented souls. done in less than 40 hours too.

40 hours of gameplay and you've missed how Dante's character developed from selfish to savior of humanity?

I honestly have no more words my son.
---
Need lessons on how to "flip-flop" over your own claims?
Dial 1-800-HOT-MAGE. Call within the next 5 minutes for bonus flops and a free copy of DmC!
#97caffiend7Posted 3/14/2013 10:49:09 PM
Japanese_Jade posted...
sillycatsteven posted...

40 hours of gameplay and you've missed how Dante's character developed from selfish to savior of humanity?

I honestly have no more words my son.

So bringing Hell to the real world and all the demons killing people is considered savior of humanity? If anything the moment they found out Donte was responsible they'll want him dead. But DmC flopped so won't have to worry about such things, now will we?
#98Japanese_JadePosted 3/14/2013 11:17:27 PM(edited)
caffiend7 posted...
So bringing Hell to the real world and all the demons killing people is considered savior of humanity? If anything the moment they found out Donte was responsible they'll want him dead. But DmC flopped so won't have to worry about such things, now will we?

Mundus was already destroying humanity (and enslaving it) before they broke the hell gate. After they broke the Hell Gate, Mundus began to slaughter the entire city. If they didn't stop him, he would've continually killed people and remained in power. Derp.

And after limbo collapsed into the real world (because destroying the Hell Gate was the only way to stop Mundus), the demons were exposed for all people to see. This meant the people were able to face their demons and fight back (rather than be tortured by them as they were before). Dante even mentions "Its the beginning of the end for the demons." After beating Vergil, he even vows to protect them. This totally sets the stage for future installments very well even though it doesn't seem likely b/c of sales.

Like I said, do your research before you make yourself look bad. I'm not trying to embarrass you, you'll just end up doing that to yourself.
---
Need lessons on how to "flip-flop" over your own claims?
Dial 1-800-HOT-MAGE. Call within the next 5 minutes for bonus flops and a free copy of DmC!
#99FireMage7777Posted 3/14/2013 11:16:17 PM
Japanese_Jade posted...
caffiend7 posted...

Mundus was already killing people before they broke the hell gate. So the only option they would've had is watch Mundus continue to destroy limbo city and let him continue ruling. Derp.

And after limbo collapsed into the real world (because destroying the Hell Gate was the only way to stop Mundus), the demons were exposed for all people to see. This meant the people were able to face their demons and fight back (rather than be tortured by them as they were before). Dante even mentions "Its the beginning of the end for the demons." After beating Vergil, he even vows to protect them. This totally sets the stage for future installments very well even though it doesn't seem likely b/c of sales.

Like I said, do your research before you make yourself look bad. I'm not trying to embarrass you, you'll just end up doing that yourself.

Humans have no means to face demons and Donte can't be everywhere. Use common sense or you'll just be embarrassing yourself
---
DmC flopped flipped, PM me if you like this sig!!! People who like this sig so far: 20
Like nerdy talk? http://w11.zetaboards.com/Keepers_Of_The_Chair/index/
#100KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 3/14/2013 11:21:42 PM
Japanese_Jade posted...
caffiend7 posted...

Mundus was already destroying humanity (and enslaving it) before they broke the hell gate. After they broke the Hell Gate, Mundus began to slaughter the entire city. If they didn't stop him, he would've continually killed people and remained in power. Derp.

Like I said, do your research before you make yourself look bad. I'm not trying to embarrass you, you'll just end up doing that yourself.

Mundus wasn't really that bad. Sure, he was enslaving humanity, but no one knew or cared. He only started slaughtering people when Donte and Vorgil decided that humans needed to fight back (nice of them to ask first).

What happens next? Humans (who basically have no defence against demons) are slaughtered left and right. Demons are now free to kill who or whatever they wish. Sure, Donte can stop them... if he gets there in time. Donte is one person, he can't help everyone. Unfortunately though, demons are now free to roam anywhere, killing (or doing other things to) anyone they wish. He can't stop them all.

Basically here's what happened; Humans are blissfully unaware that their lives are controlled (kind of like real life anyway). Some guys that can actually defend themselves merge the human realm with a realm of flesh eating demons. Humans (who have no defense against these demons) are now being slaughtered.

Honestly, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but even if Mundus killed a few humans it wouldn't be as bad. With Mundus, it was a few. With Donte, the entire goddamn planet is at risk.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]