Just beat DmC: Devil May Cry...I loved this game!

#131ZoraPrincessPosted 4/13/2013 9:25:07 PM
I feel fortunate that I enjoyed both the original series and the reboot. I'll be happy with whatever decision Capcom makes, so long as they continue the series.

Can't say the same for Tomb Raider...which I still doubt they'll ever bring puzzles which require brain cells to solve.
---
I hate farting
#132KyryloPosted 4/13/2013 10:22:12 PM
ZoraPrincess posted...
I feel fortunate that I enjoyed both the original series and the reboot. I'll be happy with whatever decision Capcom makes, so long as they continue the series.

Can't say the same for Tomb Raider...which I still doubt they'll ever bring puzzles which require brain cells to solve.

Tomb Raider >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dmc
#133ZoraPrincessPosted 4/13/2013 10:42:14 PM
Kyrylo posted...
ZoraPrincess posted...

Doesn't change the fact that they turned one of my favorite series into an action game. At least yours is still an action game with some depth. They got rid of the puzzles and platforming that made the series in favor of action and set pieces.

Again, I love how understanding DmC fans, of all people, are when somebody else's series gets changed beyond recognition.
---
I hate farting
#134NostalgiaRulesPosted 4/14/2013 2:00:11 AM
ZoraPrincess posted...
Kyrylo posted...
ZoraPrincess posted...

Doesn't change the fact that they turned one of my favorite series into an action game. At least yours is still an action game with some depth. They got rid of the puzzles and platforming that made the series in favor of action and set pieces.

Again, I love how understanding DmC fans, of all people, are when somebody else's series gets changed beyond recognition.

My guess is, the Tomb Raider reboot was to cement how Lara Croft became the woman that she is. Maybe if they make a sequel to it, they'll bring the puzzles back, since Lara will have experience from her first adventure.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#135KyryloPosted 4/14/2013 2:16:09 AM
ZoraPrincess posted...
Kyrylo posted...
ZoraPrincess posted...

no. they turned H&S into platformer. Without puzzles and exploration. And besides looking at your post...you show MANY understanding toward DMC fans.
#136tacomangsxPosted 4/14/2013 7:51:42 AM
This game was actually pretty good. Everyone needs to stop ******** about everything.
---
PSN: Lnterwebs
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Metal Gear Rising.
#137UtaNapishtiPosted 4/14/2013 8:27:26 AM
tacomangsx posted...
This game was actually pretty good. Everyone needs to stop ******** about everything.

Nobody's *****ing except you. Now get out of here.
#138Dark_EpathyPosted 4/14/2013 8:55:54 AM
no. they turned H&S into platformer. Without puzzles and exploration.

What puzzles are you lamenting? The fetch quests? Good riddance to those, honestly. And there is a good chunk of exploration--perhaps not as much as was present in DMC1, for example, but enough to feel natural without hurting the game's pace.

I still don't see how the game is a platformer, either. There's a heightened sense of vertical traversal--but it's not much of an issue. There is still a lot of combat. The platforming here at least feels more involving than running blandly between hallways.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#139UtaNapishtiPosted 4/14/2013 9:01:25 AM
Dark_Epathy posted...
no. they turned H&S into platformer. Without puzzles and exploration.

What puzzles are you lamenting? The fetch quests? Good riddance to those, honestly. And there is a good chunk of exploration--perhaps not as much as was present in DMC1, for example, but enough to feel natural without hurting the game's pace.

I still don't see how the game is a platformer, either. There's a heightened sense of vertical traversal--but it's not much of an issue. There is still a lot of combat. The platforming here at least feels more involving than running blandly between hallways.

Seriously...There's WAY too much platforming and it's boring as hell.

I know how to use the stupid grapple already. I'm not going to forget if there isn't another long sequence of "pull out thing with demon grapple, get onto platform with angel grapple" every few minutes. These are completely pointless, and add nothing of value to the game. They don't get harder and you don't really fight enemies during them, so what's the point? How is it "involving" in any way?
#140Psychochild27Posted 4/14/2013 10:56:11 AM(edited)

See, that'd be great if the platforming segments ever really got that much involved than "Angel Pull. Demon Pull. Double Jump." As it stands in DmC though, it never evolves into something compelling or particularly fascinating and it's so damn slow and clumsy in the first place that there's no thrill in it which... sort of defeats the entire point in an action game. With Bayonetta, you're hauling ass just barely making your leaps with Cat Form. With Ninja Gaiden, there's such a wonderful flow and rhythm to Ryu's acrobatics that they're genuinely engaging. God of War is generally awful all around, but it has the good sense when Kratos is grappling to at least instill some spectacle with the elegant, sweeping, beautiful arcs, bringing something resembling timing and finesse to succeed involved, and it brings a worthwhile sense of speed to the affair to make those moments kind of worth it.

DMC never had good platforming, but it was also never a focal point in the series. DmC doesn't have better platforming, it just has more of it and what's there is pretty awful. I'd gladly take more running than having the flow of the game come to a screeching halt to mash L2+Square, L2+Square, R2+Square, L2+Square, L2+X between nearly every other fight.