Just beat DmC: Devil May Cry...I loved this game!

#141ZoraPrincessPosted 4/14/2013 10:52:19 AM
OK, what is H&S?
---
I hate farting
#142StrelokPosted 4/14/2013 11:19:41 AM
Hack & Slash.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#143Dark_EpathyPosted 4/14/2013 12:23:09 PM
I'd gladly take more running than having the flow of the game come to a screeching halt to mash L2+Square, L2+Square, R2+Square, L2+Square, L2+X between nearly every other fight.

How does the flow of the game come to a screeching halt? The platforming takes literal seconds to get through. I'll give you that it's nothing particularly exciting, and maybe it can be cumbersome if you fail a sequence, but it's nothing all that obtrusive, and it certainly doesn't demean the combat or make the game a platformer.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#144RayconPosted 4/14/2013 1:21:27 PM
ZoraPrincess posted...
I feel fortunate that I enjoyed both the original series and the reboot. I'll be happy with whatever decision Capcom makes, so long as they continue the series.

Can't say the same for Tomb Raider...which I still doubt they'll ever bring puzzles which require brain cells to solve.

I feel there is something ironic about this. You can't say the same for Tomb Raider, but your position is identical to those who despise the direction of DmC. There is some critical element missing in both "reboots" and both have their dedicated fanbases that lament its passing. If anything, you should be able to identify with that sect very easily.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#145Psychochild27Posted 4/14/2013 1:54:05 PM(edited)
Dark_Epathy posted...
I'd gladly take more running than having the flow of the game come to a screeching halt to mash L2+Square, L2+Square, R2+Square, L2+Square, L2+X between nearly every other fight.

How does the flow of the game come to a screeching halt? The platforming takes literal seconds to get through

In a game that is largely about flashy, stylish, improvised action gameplay that constantly encourages experimentation, there's nothing all that flashy, stylish or improvised about these platforming sequences and any attempt to experiment is often met with a failure state. Bayonetta is a game that does this kind of thing wonderfully with the different forms Bayonetta can take. While it doesn't sound like much, those forms are quite brilliant in that they allow the player to fully dictate the pace these platforming sequences play out; they can serve as those calm respites from the combat, or to further fuel the excitement as they recklessly haul through perilous environments to get to the combat all that much sooner depending on the player's choice.

With DmC's "Platforming" elements, it's one speed, one path just about all of the time barring missions 2 and 3 that are designed with the player to get those upgrades as the stage progresses.

Now, to say that DmC's platforming elements take "Literal Seconds" while technically accurate ignores the ridiculous degree of which these moments present themselves in the level design often wedged between a fair share of running and/or scripted moments up to and after those segments (Especially the moments inside Dante's skull). They're not there in lieu of the old traversal content which could be expedited through by using different skills in previous games like Stingers, Vortex, Air Raid, Stinger/Dash Leaps off ledges, Devil Trigger, Speed, Etc., they exist to further pad the tedium out which kills any rush I may have been riding off of having done something amazing and cool in the previous fight before.

...and it certainly doesn't demean the combat or make the game a platformer.

I'm not the guy who made those claims. Take it up with him.
#146KyryloPosted 4/14/2013 1:35:15 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
no. they turned H&S into platformer. Without puzzles and exploration.

What puzzles are you lamenting? The fetch quests? Good riddance to those, honestly. And there is a good chunk of exploration--perhaps not as much as was present in DMC1, for example, but enough to feel natural without hurting the game's pace.

I still don't see how the game is a platformer, either. There's a heightened sense of vertical traversal--but it's not much of an issue. There is still a lot of combat. The platforming here at least feels more involving than running blandly between hallways.

yeah it feels totally natural. I wonder, why FF XIII bashed for giant linear levels and DmC not LOL. Less combat than in any DMC, that was sacrificed for the sake of dumb cut scenes to be shown Donte's ape face and dumb jumping. And running between hallways is platforiming to you? LOL
#147The_Zora_KingPosted 4/14/2013 1:39:30 PM
Raycon posted...
ZoraPrincess posted...
I feel fortunate that I enjoyed both the original series and the reboot. I'll be happy with whatever decision Capcom makes, so long as they continue the series.

Can't say the same for Tomb Raider...which I still doubt they'll ever bring puzzles which require brain cells to solve.

I feel there is something ironic about this. You can't say the same for Tomb Raider, but your position is identical to those who despise the direction of DmC. There is some critical element missing in both "reboots" and both have their dedicated fanbases that lament its passing. If anything, you should be able to identify with that sect very easily.

I don't know what you mean. I said earlier in the topic that I do understand what they are going through, as my series was dumbed down as well. However, DmC fans seem incapable of understanding somebody else going through what they went through with another series. I'm told "It's get better with the sequels! It needed a reboot!"

I'm saying I can't say the same about Tomb Raider, because I'm still highly pessimistic that they'll ever have the classical elements back. No more tough or satisfying puzzles because stupid people are too stupid to solve them and because "It breaks up the narrative!" Uncharted style action pieces and action and people who never liked the series in the past saying "This is how it should be! Like a huge Indiana Jones adventure!"

Raycon, about Assassin's Creed...what I see in Uncharted is what I'm wary about encountering in Assassin's Creed: Constant handholding, constant stopping and explaining what you need to do, constant scripted moments...is that what the Assassin's Creed games have?
---
Last Film Watched: A Serbian Film
My Thoughts: I actually enjoyed it >_> That wasn't so bad.
#148Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 1:41:13 PM
Also, I thought the platforming in DmC was a great addition. It gave you the feeling of having superpowers and was a break from the constant action.
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#149Malus_X6Posted 4/14/2013 1:48:48 PM
Also, I thought the platforming in DmC was a great addition. It gave you the feeling of having superpowers and was a break from the constant action.

The original DMC games made it feel like Dante had superpowers already!
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#150StrelokPosted 4/14/2013 2:03:41 PM
^
This. With being impaled in the chest on a regular basis and acting like it's a minor inconvenience, superstrength, incredible accuracy with his pistols, etc.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg