Just beat DmC: Devil May Cry...I loved this game!

#71KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 3/22/2013 3:15:54 PM
Zora_Prince posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Orange00 posted...
KA_ME, same can be said about DmC. Maybe a sequel would fix what's missing in current game.. No offense but it's a double-standard that reeks..

i bought tomb raider yesterday.. Haven't had time to play it yet but i'm a bit worried with what i've been hearing, easy peasy platforming and puzzle solving.. Older Tomb Raiders, PSX title to be more precise, were pretty much big platforming puzzles with some action thrown in. Puzzle filled maze-structure was certainly one of the key elements.. But meh, i hear it's still a great game :)

with DmC, they at least kept it hack n slash mostly. I'd say the biggest loss in translation was boss battles. While alright, they come nowhere near the quality in previous titles.

TC, you got good times ahead if you're going for dmc3 & 4. Best of the series.

The problem with that is a lot would have to be completely changed to fix DmC. For TR, just add a few puzzles, easy enough. The gameplay wouldn't need some major overhaul. DmC on the other hand... let's just say a few small additions wouldn't fix the rest of it.

And with TR being Lara's first adventure, it's not out of the question that she doesn't encounter many puzzles. TR is about her maturing into the character we know. She's not going to know how to solve every ancient Egyptian puzzle maze right away.

DmC on the other hand... what, it took Donte until the sequel to learn how to lock on? How about the crappy engine. That would need to be remedied. From there, they could bump up the framerate, maybe make the combat a little faster and maybe even ramp up the difficulty. The point is, they'd basically need to make the game all over again and it wouldn't even resemble the previous one.

TR just needs to add some puzzles. DmC needs an entire overhaul.

(Plus, the story of DmC is already bad. I don't see how they could fix it.)

With how much it sold, I'm worried if they'll ever go back to the normal style. It just seems like it's going to continue having shallow platforming and puzzles.

I understand that worry, but if enough people speak up they'll probably fix it. Just wait for a sequel. Honestly, it kind of makes sense that Lara isn't doing a whole lot of actual tomb raiding in the reboot. It's more her evolution into the classic Lara. In a sequel, you'll probably see more puzzle-esque tombs and the like.... and hopefully Dinosaurs.....
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#72FulvipPosted 3/22/2013 3:23:15 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
I understand that worry, but if enough people speak up they'll probably fix it. Just wait for a sequel. Honestly, it kind of makes sense that Lara isn't doing a whole lot of actual tomb raiding in the reboot. It's more her evolution into the classic Lara. In a sequel, you'll probably see more puzzle-esque tombs and the like.... and hopefully Dinosaurs.....

I'm betting the sequel is going to have to do with following her father's footsteps or finishing something he couldn't and I'm expecting some big environments. I just hope they don't forget to diversify and add real puzzles, not small demos that look like they're just showing off what their physics engine can do.
---
Official Auron of the boards. The only one bad*** enough to like Light.
CP: TERA, MGR, TR
#73Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 4:18:55 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Zora_Prince posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Orange00 posted...
KA_ME, same can be said about DmC. Maybe a sequel would fix what's missing in current game.. No offense but it's a double-standard that reeks..

i bought tomb raider yesterday.. Haven't had time to play it yet but i'm a bit worried with what i've been hearing, easy peasy platforming and puzzle solving.. Older Tomb Raiders, PSX title to be more precise, were pretty much big platforming puzzles with some action thrown in. Puzzle filled maze-structure was certainly one of the key elements.. But meh, i hear it's still a great game :)

with DmC, they at least kept it hack n slash mostly. I'd say the biggest loss in translation was boss battles. While alright, they come nowhere near the quality in previous titles.

TC, you got good times ahead if you're going for dmc3 & 4. Best of the series.

The problem with that is a lot would have to be completely changed to fix DmC. For TR, just add a few puzzles, easy enough. The gameplay wouldn't need some major overhaul. DmC on the other hand... let's just say a few small additions wouldn't fix the rest of it.

And with TR being Lara's first adventure, it's not out of the question that she doesn't encounter many puzzles. TR is about her maturing into the character we know. She's not going to know how to solve every ancient Egyptian puzzle maze right away.

DmC on the other hand... what, it took Donte until the sequel to learn how to lock on? How about the crappy engine. That would need to be remedied. From there, they could bump up the framerate, maybe make the combat a little faster and maybe even ramp up the difficulty. The point is, they'd basically need to make the game all over again and it wouldn't even resemble the previous one.

TR just needs to add some puzzles. DmC needs an entire overhaul.

(Plus, the story of DmC is already bad. I don't see how they could fix it.)

With how much it sold, I'm worried if they'll ever go back to the normal style. It just seems like it's going to continue having shallow platforming and puzzles.

If it happens, great. However, I'm extremely pessimistic. Here's what the former director of Tomb Raider said...

The segment of the gaming audience that is interested in and patient with the kind of difficult and fatal gameplay you miss is too small for current AAA games to support. There is no model for making a game that cost as much as Underworld cost that could recoup that investment without appealing to a broader audience. This flies directly in conflict with much of what made Tomb Raider great at the start, and trying to find the right balance was a big part of my job. I know that the answer we presented disappoints the hardcore fans, and it was unavoidable. We can strive to make games as exciting as the past, but you likely won't ever see games as demanding as they were in the old days.

See, I can understand what this board went through with DmC.

This generation has been a generation of dumbed down famous series...

Splinter Cell
Devil May Cry
Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy
Silent Hill
Ninja Gaidan
Counter Strike
Hitman

With the possible exception of Silent Hill: Downpour, they never really went back.
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#74CirOnnPosted 3/22/2013 6:10:13 PM
Tomb Raider (2013) is to TR series what DmC is to DMC series. People may like TR (2013) for a number of reasons, yet, as a true Tomb Raider fan as I am, I can tell you it fails on most (if not all) accounts. It feels and plays like an Uncharted game and both series were very different from one another before this overhaul.

The music is sub-par with the exception of maybe two or three, the graphics are mostly okay with a very bad hair/ water/ fire effect, the story is all over the place and, besides Lara, no character is relevant. It's a borefest, except for the average to good gameplay.

People who say TR (2013) is "okay" are probably saying this because they weren't TR fans to begin with. Same with DmC (myself included). So, no double-standards, please.
#75Ink-RibbonPosted 3/22/2013 8:55:19 PM
CirOnn posted...
Tomb Raider (2013) is to TR series what DmC is to DMC series. People may like TR (2013) for a number of reasons, yet, as a true Tomb Raider fan as I am, I can tell you it fails on most (if not all) accounts. It feels and plays like an Uncharted game and both series were very different from one another before this overhaul.

The music is sub-par with the exception of maybe two or three, the graphics are mostly okay with a very bad hair/ water/ fire effect, the story is all over the place and, besides Lara, no character is relevant. It's a borefest, except for the average to good gameplay.

People who say TR (2013) is "okay" are probably saying this because they weren't TR fans to begin with. Same with DmC (myself included). So, no double-standards, please.

Double standards are pretty normal here, it's all you'll have from antis.

You'll eventually get used to them, for fun factor. ;)
#76Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 9:20:29 PM
CirOnn posted...

And both were clearly made for people who weren't already huge fans of the series...
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#77Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 9:23:57 PM
I bought the DMC: HD collection today. You're probably all curious what the person who loved DmC thought of it.

I'm enjoying it. I'm on the level after defeating that Ice Cerberus. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's like the original in that you can go back and explore places you've already been. I've been going back and fighting enemies for the experience, for fun, and practice. It seemed simply at first, but it has gotten much better since getting a second weapon.
---
#78Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 9:33:15 PM
One thing I hate is the dodging system. When I press the dodge button, I like to know if I'm going to roll or jump. In the chaos of combat, it's difficult to know what direct you're facing and where you need to point the analog stick.
---
#79RayconPosted 3/23/2013 9:30:53 AM
Ink-Ribbon posted...

You'll eventually get used to them, for fun factor. ;)

No matter how I feel about some of your attempts to rile folks up, I have to appreciate someone who knows it's all fun at the end of the day. Trying to take this place seriously will only drive people insane.

= /

Zora_Prince posted...
It seemed simply at first, but it has gotten much better since getting a second weapon.

It only gets better as you start leveling up the styles more. But there's nothing like mastering the ability switch back and forth between weapons on a whim. ^_^

Zora_Prince posted...
One thing I hate is the dodging system. When I press the dodge button, I like to know if I'm going to roll or jump. In the chaos of combat, it's difficult to know what direct you're facing and where you need to point the analog stick.

As other people will undoubtedly tell, I find this is one of those things that with time and patience, you really adapt to. So I can only hope the same holds true for you, but as I said in the other topic, Trickster style does just that. Style button becomes a dedicated dodge button, and makes for some great mobility methods that really come in handy. I recommend getting to at least level 2.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#80ZoraPrincessPosted 3/23/2013 5:28:38 PM
I love how Devil May Cry fans have suffered through so much, having their favorite series changed and dumbed down, yet are completely oblivious and don't understand when somebody else's series is watered down. At this point, it looks more likely that you'll get your wish: Capcom has acknowledged it has a problem with its fanbase after RE6 and DmC and the sales proved a point. Tomb Raider, on the other hand, is selling well and doing well with people who never liked the series in the past and don't care that it was dumbed down. You say they might add puzzles later? Why would they make the next Tomb Raider smarter when dumbing it down appealed to the masses?

Both of these games were made for the masses. Not for the fans.
---
I hate farting