A question about DmC's target audience.

#1NostalgiaRulesPosted 3/15/2013 5:23:19 PM
This is not to troll or rub it in the faces of people who like DmC. This is more a discussion thread about Capcom and Ninja Theory's business tactics.

Why do you think they failed to meet the criteria? Why do you think DmC didn't reach the target audience? This game was meant to bring in a bunch of new fans to the series, but it didn't really do that.

Discuss on why you think that is.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#2SparNar607Posted 3/15/2013 5:26:44 PM
What's the opposite of hype? All the negativity surronding this game from day 1 surely turned people away.
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#3FireMage7777Posted 3/15/2013 5:31:58 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
This is not to troll or rub it in the faces of people who like DmC. This is more a discussion thread about Capcom and Ninja Theory's business tactics.

Why do you think they failed to meet the criteria? Why do you think DmC didn't reach the target audience? This game was meant to bring in a bunch of new fans to the series, but it didn't really do that.

Because if you want a Devil May Cry game to do well, YOU DON'T PISS OFF YOUR F***ING FANS!!! The target audience that Capcom wanted couldn't have cared less about this game
---
DmC flopped flipped, PM me if you like this sig!!! People who like this sig so far: 21
Like nerdy talk? http://w11.zetaboards.com/Keepers_Of_The_Chair/index/
#4NostalgiaRules(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 5:35:29 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
NostalgiaRules posted...

Because if you want a Devil May Cry game to do well, YOU DON'T PISS OFF YOUR F***ING FANS!!! The target audience that Capcom wanted couldn't have cared less about this game

Could it be because it looked so different that fans didn't recognize it as part of the DMC franchise? I'm not saying that different is horrible, but to me, it seemed like DmC really just wanted to be its own game, but was forced to put a few drops of original DMC in it.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#5FireMage7777Posted 3/15/2013 5:38:50 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
NostalgiaRules posted...

Could it be because it looked so different that fans didn't recognize it as part of the DMC franchise? I'm not saying that different is horrible, but to me, it seemed like DmC really just wanted to be its own game, but was forced to put a few drops of original DMC in it.

We don't recognize it because it's missing a lot of what DMC IS
---
DmC flopped flipped, PM me if you like this sig!!! People who like this sig so far: 21
Like nerdy talk? http://w11.zetaboards.com/Keepers_Of_The_Chair/index/
#6SparNar607Posted 3/15/2013 5:42:22 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
NostalgiaRules posted...

Depends. The reveal trailer, had a character who no one in their right mind would have looked at and thought "This is Dante".

Frankly, people thought the design change sucked. On top of that there were characteristic that were gleaned from the trailer that no one was receptive of (apparent sadism and a smoking habit).
---
"On and On the road does go, down into the depths below"
"Off you went to call the King, you wish to hear the Devil sing."
#7RayconPosted 3/15/2013 6:02:40 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
Why do you think DmC didn't reach the target audience? This game was meant to bring in a bunch of new fans to the series, but it didn't really do that.

"Usually the worst creative crimes are made when you're trying to make a game for someone else - some perceived demographic that, in all likelihood, doesn't actually exist." - Tameem Antoniades

Short answer, they were chasing one of those imaginary audiences (the casual crowd). As a result, they put off the fanbase that exists in actuality.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#8LansfieldPosted 3/15/2013 6:03:29 PM
Their target audience could not afford this game and would rather spend them on crack and weed.
#9SinExDeathPosted 3/15/2013 6:05:11 PM
IMO, this game seems to cater to a crowd that would relate to a "against the MAN" or those that don't take too kindly to authority. Basically, the tween or 12-15 age group yet the game was created for "Mature" audiences of the 17+ age group.
My summary: Capcom had absolutely no idea who the "wider audience" is.

A "Teen" rating would have helped garnered sales tremendously.

Spar was pretty spot on with the day 1 negativity. Capcom foolishly mistook controversy for hype.
---
Asketh Ky to Sol, "Heaven or Hell?" and Sol, being of Gear did say "Let's Rock."
Roman Cancels 1:14
#10ZeroX91Posted 3/15/2013 6:05:34 PM
Lansfield posted...
Their target audience could not afford this game and would rather spend them on crack and weed.

...crack=/=weed
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui4zPwRmSFA