The one thing from this game that needs to be in further DMC games...

#1TheGrandFinalePosted 3/16/2013 8:33:43 AM(edited)
And that is the Aquila. Such a cool weapon, with clever and actually original mechanics. Using Buy In to bring in packs of enemies to slash up makes for great crowd control, and moves like Aerial Buy In, Skimish and Tornado make for some great combo potential as far as style and efficacy goes. It's basically a Musou mode in itself and it's great to see something that actually works well in this game.

Just a shame that you have to use it against enemies that looks like scraps of furniture stuck together, that barely attack you in any meaningful way, and all that in horribly lighted settings with low visibility that makes for a somewhat poor experience at times.

Even then, every time I think up situations where it'd be preferable to try to use the Aquila instead of button mashing...I come up with nothing. The game has some enemies that'd work well in certain groups and configurations but NT never does any of that. Just waves of dumbass Stygians over and over and over and over, with a Tyrant once in a while. Sometimes if you are lucky, there are two! Yayyyyy! So you can have fun for the minute it takes to kill them. Then it's back to mashing dem buttonz against dem furniture-men with no way to kill you at all.

I'm sure that the weapon itself has mass potential in a game with good encounter design. It'd be sick against groups of Prides/Lusts in DMC3 for example. Or let me go there...Using Round Trip to armor-break/stun Heavy Cyborgs while using Pay In to group in the normal ones packed with it. Hnnnng. So good.
---
GT- F0rneus / Nintendo Network - F0rneus / PSN -Helphinx / Steam- Chern0bog / 3DS FC: 4425-1553-4029
#2RetsuxDPosted 3/16/2013 8:40:09 AM
I, personally, hope I never see Aquila again.

If it had higher damage output and there were no color coded enemies, there'd be no reason to use any other weapon ever, it's just too stupidly broken and its crowd control options are so many compared to the rest of the weapons, they may as well not have any!
#3TheGrandFinale(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 8:50:32 AM(edited)
Yeah but your grievances are with the broken gameplay mechanics, not the weapon itself haha. I know for a fact, that it would be great in a balanced game with well-designed combat. Imagine the Aquila, with actual damage (cause it's made out of fluff right now) in a game with aggressive enemies and no color coding.

It wouldn't be overpowered against Rising Cyborgs for example just like L'Etranger isn't. Same general idea (crowd control weapon, without overpowered stun-locking) but with a different focus. Aquila's idea of using it to pull enemies towards you and stunning larger foes with Round Trip is truly neat.
---
GT- F0rneus / Nintendo Network - F0rneus / PSN -Helphinx / Steam- Chern0bog / 3DS FC: 4425-1553-4029
#4RetsuxDPosted 3/16/2013 8:46:58 AM
Would bench it in favor of the spear.

I mean, come on, we've had spears as key items in 2 games now, Capcom!
#5QCTeamkillPosted 3/16/2013 8:57:47 AM
RetsuxD posted...

*tridents*
#6RetsuxDPosted 3/16/2013 9:04:07 AM
QCTeamkill posted...
RetsuxD posted...

*tridents*

Well, spears are tridents, but I prefer vanilla spears.
#7Psychochild27Posted 3/16/2013 1:45:48 PM
Yeah but your grievances are with the broken gameplay mechanics, not the weapon itself haha. I know for a fact, that it would be great in a balanced game with well-designed combat. Imagine the Aquila, with actual damage (cause it's made out of fluff right now) in a game with aggressive enemies and no color coding.

... Have you seen the range on just its normal attack swings? If you bump up the damage to where it's slightly competitive with Rebellion, then Rebellion becomes completely useless because it'd outrange Rebellion in general, does relatively sound single target and absurd AOE damage in comparison and covers a MUUUUUUCH larger range that sort of ends up going against the melee design philosophy that DMC games have. It's just a hair shy of the range the Blades of Chaos have where its hitboxes are concerned for crying out loud.

Even the Lucifer which is the closest parallel to the Aquila had the good sense to give Dante complete frontal 180* coverage on his spinning swipes but only within a very narrow range while Rebellion had less horizontal coverage (With exception of Combo II) but more damage and more reach to compensate. Very useful for Legendary Dark Knight.

It wouldn't be overpowered against Rising Cyborgs for example just like L'Etranger isn't. Same general idea (crowd control weapon, without overpowered stun-locking) but with a different focus.

L'Etranger doesn't pull in enemies on the far side of the screen regardless of Raiden or the enemy's position and deposits them hit-stunned right next to him. The Buy-In mechanic is what defines the weapon and what essentially breaks it.

Besides, I rather they keep moving forward with weapons - It's bad enough every DMC game worth a damn has Gauntlets, Swords and a few guns that don't change too significantly across each iteration, we don't need them to keep trying to shoehorn Aquila into their game design.
#8Ink-RibbonPosted 3/16/2013 7:15:39 PM
The problem with that weapon is that it's way too much broken...

It's good for what it is, but I hope we'll see something better in the future.