Lets look at the game objectively.

#1Xtreme65Posted 3/17/2013 1:44:38 AM
Most of the arguments I see both sides spout out their OPINIONS on why this game rocks or sucks. Then some of the antis say "no the game just objectively sucks no matter what your opinion is." Or something to that effect.

But when judging a game objectively you do not let bias or opinions get in the way. You can't say for example that the art style is objectively bad because whether you enjoy the art or not is strictly opinionated and can't be looked at as fact.

Lets look at the facts.

The game has tons of combos with each one serving a purpose

Can switch between eight weapons, more than any other DMC game.

Angel Pull and Demon Pull has more functionality than DB's Snatch.

Game lacks styles but many moves from the styles are already implemented.

Game gives incentive to play through at the very least 3 times. (most games don't have incentives to play through more than once unless your trophy/achievement hunting.)

Game is extremely easy. (whether this is good or bad is based on opinion. I honestly don't care as I play and enjoy both easy and hardcore games.)

No lock on button which is mostly a problem when dealing with flying enemies.

Demon Dodge plus Trinity Smash solve most everything (except flyers, angel enemies, and certain bosses.)

VERY bad graphics for a PS3/360 game......and yes this IS objective.

Color coded enemies (I'm not gonna lie I think this is kind of a good thing but most see it as bad and for understandable reasons.)

Ranking system is broken as in you have to do REALLY bad in order to get anything lower than an A rank and that rank itself should only be awarded to decent players. (Though I noticed Vergil's Downfall is a bit better in this category.)

Now looking at it. Most of the flaws are pretty minor ones to be honest. Sure no lock on makes flying enemies annoying but thats just it, its just a minor annoyance as the game is easy enough that this really isn't a HUGE problem. Bad graphics doesn't really have an impact on gameplay which is what gamers pay attention to most. The ranking system does little to decrease the fun factor of combat.

So the only REAL issue is DD and Trinity Smash exploit

Speaking objectively of course.

If it weren't for DD I'd say this game is Objectively great. But since it does exist it makes the game objectively average. One strategy shouldn't be the most effective in all or most situations in a game thats all about combos and one shouldn't tell themselves not to use something that was clearly meant to be in the game.

So there you have it. Yes when looking at the game objectively the game is flawed, due to a few annoyances and one major design oversight.

BTW I consider myself a pro (because subjectively I love this game.)
---
When coincidence is so convenient, I prefer to call it fate.
#2FireMage7777Posted 3/17/2013 1:49:12 AM
You're forgetting a lot of things that can be judged objectively...like story, dialogue, art style, etc
---
DmC flopped flipped, PM me if you like this sig!!! People who like this sig so far: 21
Like nerdy talk? http://w11.zetaboards.com/Keepers_Of_The_Chair/index/
#3JanneDaArc135Posted 3/17/2013 1:57:05 AM
Xtreme65 posted...
Most of the arguments I see both sides spout out their OPINIONS on why this game rocks or sucks. Then some of the antis say "no the game just objectively sucks no matter what your opinion is." Or something to that effect.

But when judging a game objectively you do not let bias or opinions get in the way. You can't say for example that the art style is objectively bad because whether you enjoy the art or not is strictly opinionated and can't be looked at as fact.

Lets look at the facts.

The game has tons of combos with each one serving a purpose

Can switch between eight weapons, more than any other DMC game.

Angel Pull and Demon Pull has more functionality than DB's Snatch.

Game lacks styles but many moves from the styles are already implemented.

Game gives incentive to play through at the very least 3 times. (most games don't have incentives to play through more than once unless your trophy/achievement hunting.)

Game is extremely easy. (whether this is good or bad is based on opinion. I honestly don't care as I play and enjoy both easy and hardcore games.)

No lock on button which is mostly a problem when dealing with flying enemies.

Demon Dodge plus Trinity Smash solve most everything (except flyers, angel enemies, and certain bosses.)

VERY bad graphics for a PS3/360 game......and yes this IS objective.

Color coded enemies (I'm not gonna lie I think this is kind of a good thing but most see it as bad and for understandable reasons.)

Ranking system is broken as in you have to do REALLY bad in order to get anything lower than an A rank and that rank itself should only be awarded to decent players. (Though I noticed Vergil's Downfall is a bit better in this category.)

Now looking at it. Most of the flaws are pretty minor ones to be honest. Sure no lock on makes flying enemies annoying but thats just it, its just a minor annoyance as the game is easy enough that this really isn't a HUGE problem. Bad graphics doesn't really have an impact on gameplay which is what gamers pay attention to most. The ranking system does little to decrease the fun factor of combat.

So the only REAL issue is DD and Trinity Smash exploit

Speaking objectively of course.

If it weren't for DD I'd say this game is Objectively great. But since it does exist it makes the game objectively average. One strategy shouldn't be the most effective in all or most situations in a game thats all about combos and one shouldn't tell themselves not to use something that was clearly meant to be in the game.

So there you have it. Yes when looking at the game objectively the game is flawed, due to a few annoyances and one major design oversight.

BTW I consider myself a pro (because subjectively I love this game.)

Its funny because in trying to write an OBJECTIVE post you have plenty of SUBJECTIVE opinions. Like saying that most of the games flaws are MINOR or that bad graphics DON'T have any impact on gameplay. Or that the only real issue that YOU think is DD and Trinity Smash. Not judging you but I am just saying your post is flawed with tons of subjectivity that hints at you trying to rationalize the games faults.
---
The older rpg games will always be the best forever and ever.
Now Playing: Touhou: Perfect Cherry Blossom. PSN: janne-da-arc24.
#4Xtreme65(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 2:05:20 AM
The dialogue was forced at times so yeah Ill give you that one. Story had a few plot holes but whether you enjoyed it or not is subjective. Art style is COMPLETELY subjective, some people really liked it, even some of the people who say the game sucks say that limbo was cool to travel through.
---
#5MadigariPosted 3/17/2013 2:06:34 AM
I really wish people would take classes on what objective and subjective mean, because I keep seeing those words used in stark contrast to what they actually mean (on both sides, in this particular issue).
---
Gamertag is Madigari, for both Xbox 360 and PSN.
If you can't get what you want, then you come with me.
#6Xtreme65(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 2:15:20 AM
Perhaps you are right. Objectively speaking the ranking system is why some people replay the DMC games. S rank to many missions on your first try you wont be replaying it. No lock on is objectively bad no matter how I try to justify it. Color coded enemies though I still dont view as bad or good objectively.
---
#7Xtreme65(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 2:22:16 AM
Madigari posted...
I really wish people would take classes on what objective and subjective mean, because I keep seeing those words used in stark contrast to what they actually mean (on both sides, in this particular issue).

Perhaps you can elaborate for us. As far as I know objective means to base on facts and subjective is to base on opinions. But I have a limited vocabulary so.....
---
#8FireMage7777Posted 3/17/2013 2:24:55 AM
Xtreme65 posted...
The dialogue was forced at times so yeah Ill give you that one. Story had a few plot holes but whether you enjoyed it or not is subjective. Art style is COMPLETELY subjective, some people really liked it, even some of the people who say the game sucks say that limbo was cool to travel through.

Art style isn't completely subjective. There's no such thing as completely subjective. The art style is aesthetically boring and stagnant
---
DmC flopped flipped, PM me if you like this sig!!! People who like this sig so far: 21
Like nerdy talk? http://w11.zetaboards.com/Keepers_Of_The_Chair/index/
#9YumeOMiruPosted 3/17/2013 2:41:44 AM
Look at a game objectively? Then is 100% this game sucks. Itīs taking 3 steps back from previous literation. Half the FPS, half the moves and emo teenager story, which mean this game fail even objectively.
---
Having a dream is essential to live.
#10KyryloPosted 3/17/2013 2:48:17 AM
Xtreme65 posted...

you hole topic is purely subjective. Now THIS is objective from my perspective:
Artstyle - original, with awesome places and creative design. But often reused from other games.
Story - has some social relevance. But by being reused from 20 years old film lacks any originality and failry predictable.
Characters - development is shallow, with bad dialogues and so big amount of WTF and forced moments that they don't bear any importance.
enemies - VERY bad. communicated attacks, huge amount of scripted stuff and only 1-2 attacks pro enemy. The quality is that of GoW.
gameplay - great amount of weapons, combos and moves, gives you huge amount to experiment with. BUT All weapons at same time removes need to experiment with enemies and bosses. Combos are generic and not original mostly just follow up strikes and shockwaves. Weapons amount is less than previous games.
Color coded enemies breaking combos.
Bosses are terribly executed, being mostly just scripted sandbags.
To much platforming for HnS. Which is mostly unimaginative and works only if you want to look at places (basically every platforming sequence - pull, jump, pull, jump, pull jump)
Angel/Demon pull are working very well. Sadly it's nothing original by being mix of DMC4 and Darksiders pulls and LoS light/darkness system.
Game is to easy, ruining replayability. Most players are bored by 3rd walkthrough.
Levels are to linear and predictable, making them uninteresting to navigate or play. Without puzzles or any interesting obstacles.
Ranking is broken. as already mentioned.
Engine is Terrible. It doesn't works on consoles and doesn't meant to work. Pixelated shadows, textures and bugs. All of that votes for poor choice.
And finally Scoreboard is ultimately broken by latest patch, which made those who play fair unable to beat those who exploited back than Demon Dodge.
Overall after listing all of that it's 6/10. Not bad, not terrible. MEdiocre like all NT games, aside for HS for me.
Here you are. That's my objective opinion. Which makes yours purely subjective and proves that any of your "facts" are only your speculations.