Curse words are cool?

#31Rising_shadowPosted 3/17/2013 7:29:52 PM
The fetus thing doesn't even make sense to begin with. Why would an immortal demon king care about having an heir? Is he planning on dying anytime soon?
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#32ZeroX91Posted 3/17/2013 8:09:09 PM
Rising_shadow posted...
The fetus thing doesn't even make sense to begin with. Why would an immortal demon king care about having an heir? Is he planning on dying anytime soon?

He wasn't immortal, he just wasn't made of tissue paper. (cardboard in more than one sense though)
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui4zPwRmSFA
#33NostalgiaRulesPosted 3/17/2013 8:14:05 PM
To me, swear words really are unnecessary. I don't swear at all and I get along fine in life. A lot of people nowadays say that "swearing is to get the meaning across better." You know what I say if I stub my toe? I say ow. I say ow rather loudly. When I say ow, people automatically what I meant and why I meant it. Sometimes, I'll even say "OW!!! PAIN!!!" so people will know why I said ow. :P

Swearing originally was really just for shock value and intimidation. Over time though, more and more people started using it, so it became more acceptable as the years went on and is now apart of modern language. Here's the whole Poison scene redone, but still gets the point across well:

Poison: Who are you?

DmC Dante: I'm your prom date, gorgeous...and I use that term loosely.

Poison: WHO THE BLAZES ARE YOU?!?!

DmC Dante: Name's Dante. Dan te. Daaaan - teeee. Try to keep up now.

Poison: GRRRR!!!! INSULT ME AGAIN, I'LL RIP YOU APART, YOU WORTHLESS, INSIGNIFIGANT LITTLE WORM!

DmC Dante:...Seriously, did you just call me, of all people, a worm? When's a mirror when you need one?

Poision: SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILEEEEEEEEEEEEEENCE!!! BLAAAAAAARG!!!!

See? I made Poison spit out several insults and DmC Dante drop some clever, witty insults as well, without dropping one swear word. And it didn't come across as infantile and less adult because of the lack of swear words.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#34SiLVeR_420Posted 3/17/2013 9:10:46 PM
ZeroX91 posted...
Rising_shadow posted...

He wasn't immortal, he just wasn't made of tissue paper. (cardboard in more than one sense though)

He sure as hell thought he was.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#35ZeroX91Posted 3/17/2013 9:12:46 PM
SiLVeR_420 posted...
ZeroX91 posted...
Rising_shadow posted...

Talkin' plotwise brah.
---
#36SilentS89Posted 3/17/2013 9:12:48 PM
SiLVeR_420 posted...
ZeroX91 posted...
Rising_shadow posted...

Everyone is immortal until they die.
#37ZeroX91Posted 3/17/2013 9:16:37 PM
...I misread... should probably go to bed.

I agree. :]
---
#38yarouPosted 3/17/2013 9:38:18 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
To me, swear words really are unnecessary. I don't swear at all and I get along fine in life. A lot of people nowadays say that "swearing is to get the meaning across better." You know what I say if I stub my toe? I say ow. I say ow rather loudly. When I say ow, people automatically what I meant and why I meant it. Sometimes, I'll even say "OW!!! PAIN!!!" so people will know why I said ow. :P

Swearing originally was really just for shock value and intimidation. Over time though, more and more people started using it, so it became more acceptable as the years went on and is now apart of modern language. Here's the whole Poison scene redone, but still gets the point across well:

Poison: Who are you?

DmC Dante: I'm your prom date, gorgeous...and I use that term loosely.

Poison: WHO THE BLAZES ARE YOU?!?!

DmC Dante: Name's Dante. Dan te. Daaaan - teeee. Try to keep up now.

Poison: GRRRR!!!! INSULT ME AGAIN, I'LL RIP YOU APART, YOU WORTHLESS, INSIGNIFIGANT LITTLE WORM!

DmC Dante:...Seriously, did you just call me, of all people, a worm? When's a mirror when you need one?

Poision: SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILEEEEEEEEEEEEEENCE!!! BLAAAAAAARG!!!!

See? I made Poison spit out several insults and DmC Dante drop some clever, witty insults as well, without dropping one swear word. And it didn't come across as infantile and less adult because of the lack of swear words.

This, 100% this.
#39AkazoraPosted 3/17/2013 9:51:44 PM
I could see that coming out of DMC4 Dante. Definitely not DmC or even DMC3 Dante.
#40TranslatorTomPosted 3/17/2013 11:01:36 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
To me, swear words really are unnecessary. I don't swear at all and I get along fine in life.

I don't either. But I don't believe that it means that swearing must be purged just because I personally don't do it.

"Poison: WHO THE BLAZES ARE YOU?!?!"

See? I made Poison spit out several insults and DmC Dante drop some clever, witty insults as well, without dropping one swear word.

First, I don't think that character is the type of demon that would say "the blazes..." But that aside, "the blazes" is a euphemism for hell... It's still swearing. You're just giving a tamer version of a swear... But it's a swear nonetheless.

I don't think cursing is cool... But I think that trying to censor up a game is uncool.
---
-Tom