Please Tell Me This Gets Better...

#1DagorhaPosted 3/20/2013 3:22:28 PM
So I've only played through 4 chapters and already I can feel me wanting to trade it in. I've played the originals except for 2 and I loved all of them, even 4 which had some serious problems going on with it but this game just feels odd.

First things first. Dante just feels lame. It's like they took the worst characteristics of DMC3 Dante and gutted any of the likability from him but Vergil... oh dear god Vergil, what did they do to you?! The only thing that he shares in common with Vergil from the original series is his name and his weapon. Judging by what I've read, he will become closer to the original series Vergil but as it is now I just... ugh. Also the less I say about Mundus the better.

The combat also seemed to becoming perplexingly easier while at the same time more confusing with the additions of so many weapons. It is also terribly pace. So much has been thrown at my feet within the last couple of levels that it forgets why many games spread out their mechanics.

Finally the aesthetics. The only thing I've played through is red levels and blue levels. As a result it feels physically disquieting to slog through them and since the cutscenes all take place in the normal world everything comes across as feeling far more surreal then I think the developers had intended. I don't even know how I should feel going though this game. Yeah the gameplay is decent enough, it isn't as good as past games but it isn't terrible but the game has almost no juxtaposition which is so highly necessary and what makes all the big set pieces of the past DMC games stand out.

So please, at the very least tell me that the levels become at least more normalized or at least change the aesthetics. Maybe I nice bleak black or green level maybe...
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#2OracleGunnerPosted 3/20/2013 3:24:17 PM
Nope it actually gets worse. So you might want to get your money back.
---
The Unofficial Iron Castle that Smashes Through Mountains of every board in the multiverse.
PM me if you get from where is my sig. People who got it:0
#3sworderPosted 3/20/2013 4:01:11 PM(edited)
Level 13 is very pretty but the gameplay remains incredibly stale
#4ScreamingMidgetPosted 3/20/2013 4:14:06 PM
It gets MUCH worse.
#5Pesmerga255Posted 3/20/2013 4:18:14 PM
...Not in a trillion years.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#6RichterB17Posted 3/20/2013 4:18:42 PM
It get's worse I'd say. In one level everything is blue and upside down and later you yourself are upside down for a moment. Then there is the tron like level that has so much overly saturated color that it hurts your eyes. The last three levels are kinda normal, but in a bland way.
---
"They sowed their fate when they took this job.... I'm just the reaper" - Raiden
#7tiosukePosted 3/20/2013 4:23:08 PM
it gets way worse dude.....just pop in some good ol' dmc3
#8Dagorha(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 4:59:25 PM
Ok so the Succubus fight and the level before it was pretty good. It at least used a different color: yellow! Still though, why in the world is Dante doing all the work? This is another problem the originals didn't have. I never had to wonder why Dante is doing what he is doing. I'm really trying hard to like this game, the combat system is even starting to slowly grow on me but the aesthetics are terrible and there is absolutely zero juxtaposition. It just feels like I'm going from one slightly elaborate arena to another. Although I like the platforming and I'm glad more games are at least using rudimentary platforming. It makes the game world really pop so to speak
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#9Ink-RibbonPosted 3/20/2013 5:12:45 PM
I guess you'll like mission 7 to 10, 13/14 and 16/17...

You should really try, thse missions are reasonable at least. :)
#10NostalgiaRulesPosted 3/20/2013 7:33:47 PM
Dagorha posted...
Ok so the Succubus fight and the level before it was pretty good. It at least used a different color: yellow! Still though, why in the world is Dante doing all the work? This is another problem the originals didn't have. I never had to wonder why Dante is doing what he is doing. I'm really trying hard to like this game, the combat system is even starting to slowly grow on me but the aesthetics are terrible and there is absolutely zero juxtaposition. It just feels like I'm going from one slightly elaborate arena to another. Although I like the platforming and I'm glad more games are at least using rudimentary platforming. It makes the game world really pop so to speak

You shouldn't force yourself to play something that you don't like. If you're still not liking the game, you can just trade it in for another one.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.