The hate... I don't get it. I liked it!

#1CirOnnPosted 3/21/2013 6:58:54 PM
I just wanted to understand where the hate is aimed at/ coming from, because from my experience this is an okay game. Solid, but not awesome. Certainly not terrible.

I never played DMC before this one, Dante was a major turn off for me, I felt like he was very over-the-top considering everything I saw from past games and DMC in general had (IMO) terrible gameplay and not as fluid as Bayonetta or GOW (still does in this title, by a GREAT margin). This Dante is still over-the-top, that's why Vergil and Kat are actually better characters and made me go through the game despite the MC.

The visuals are very good and original, I can't remember a single game playing the meta-game with the player (aside from Eternal Darkness) and providing such a colorful yet dark and twisted world. The viillain was meh, the story was ok for a game (I loved the connections with real big world enterprises and issues, plus the whole New World Order thing). There are many ideas sucked straight out of Constantine, one of the greatest comics/ visual novels out there. Actually, I felt like this could be a Constantine game, if a few alterations were made.

So, why exactly people hate on this game? Everything ranges from regular to good in a VG production stand point, is it because it's a reboot? If so, if this game was named something else, people would like it more?

I don't get it. Maybe because I'm not a fan of past titles....
#2Pesmerga255Posted 3/21/2013 7:02:46 PM
NEW AND ORIGINAL!
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#3RetsuxDPosted 3/21/2013 7:02:52 PM
I never played a DMC, Dante was too over the top, babby's first social commentary, why the hate...

Yep, we never had this thread before.
#4ChickenfrogmanPosted 3/21/2013 7:03:05 PM
Writing was garbage, story was garbage, gameplay was a gigantic step down from the fantastic DMC3 and 4, if you thought they had bad gameplay you have objectively garbage taste.
---
Renekton would make a terrible lifeguard. He'd just laugh at you as you drown and die and then probably eat your corpse.
PSN: RevolverChicken7
#5DuuuDe14Posted 3/21/2013 7:03:38 PM
You kinda answered your own question there. And no, God of War can't hold a candle to the Devil May Cry series gameplay wise. And Devil May Cry IS supposed to be over the top. Kinda how GoW is supposed to be overy brutal and stuff.

*sits on Dante's chair*
---
The Official Sons of Sparda of all GameFaqs boards.
I shall forever be sitting in Dante's chair. Till the day he returns to us.
#6RayconPosted 3/21/2013 7:09:50 PM
CirOnn posted...

Well maybe that. And probably all the insults the dev team was throwing at fans the whole way.

Rule number 1: Do not insult your customers. Aside from it being immature... it's just a bad business strategy.

= /
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#7Psychochild27Posted 3/21/2013 7:09:59 PM
...if this game was named something else, people would like it more?

People wouldn't be paying any attention to it and it'd be recognized as a second rate DMC knock-off like Dante's Inferno was to God of War and Ninja Blade to Ninja Gaiden.
#8NostalgiaRulesPosted 3/21/2013 7:10:25 PM
CirOnn posted...
I just wanted to understand where the hate is aimed at/ coming from, because from my experience this is an okay game. Solid, but not awesome. Certainly not terrible.

I never played DMC before this one, Dante was a major turn off for me, I felt like he was very over-the-top considering everything I saw from past games and DMC in general had (IMO) terrible gameplay and not as fluid as Bayonetta or GOW (still does in this title, by a GREAT margin). This Dante is still over-the-top, that's why Vergil and Kat are actually better characters and made me go through the game despite the MC.

The visuals are very good and original, I can't remember a single game playing the meta-game with the player (aside from Eternal Darkness) and providing such a colorful yet dark and twisted world. The viillain was meh, the story was ok for a game (I loved the connections with real big world enterprises and issues, plus the whole New World Order thing). There are many ideas sucked straight out of Constantine, one of the greatest comics/ visual novels out there. Actually, I felt like this could be a Constantine game, if a few alterations were made.

So, why exactly people hate on this game? Everything ranges from regular to good in a VG production stand point, is it because it's a reboot? If so, if this game was named something else, people would like it more?

Hello. There's a lot of reasons that people don't like DmC. And yes, a lot of people don't like this because they really did change Dante too much. I'm not saying that change is horrible, but this change...not so good. I'll list some of the reasons below.

-Glitches...lots and lots of glitches. A lot of people, who did buy and play the game from beginning to end, found a lot of glitches and they weren't fun.

-There was a ton of swearing. Yes, it doesn't bother most people. But most people who are fine with swearing, didn't like this.

-Vergil and Dante's personalities were completely changed to the point of where they were unrecognizable. (you'd have to play the original DMC games to know)

-Ninja Theory kept insulting the DMC fan base and was very unprofessional. In their arrogance of sticking their finger in the eye of old DMC fans, they forgot to thank and show gratitude to DmC fans.

-Lack of lock-on and lack of taunting really didn't help things. Taunting was not only funny, it raised the style meter and drew enemies to you. No lock on makes it hard to attack certain enemies.

-30 frames per second or FPS for short. This wouldn't bother most people, but it is a noticeable difference if you watch it on a split screen.

I think there's more reasons, but that's all I can think of for now. I'm not bashing you for liking the game or anything, but for original DMC fans, there are a lot of legitimate reasons for not liking DmC.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#9Ink-RibbonPosted 3/21/2013 7:11:06 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
NEW AND ORIGINAL!

0/10

Your post is what I call fresh, right? XD
#10Rising_shadowPosted 3/21/2013 7:14:23 PM
one of the greatest comics/ visual novels out there

The **** am I reading here. First of all, a visual novel is a type of computer game. The words you wanted are graphic novel. Second, it's not called Constantine, unlike that terrible Keanu Reeves movie would like you to believe. The series was called Hellblazer.
Third, Hellblazer is a hundred times more mature and dark than this masterpiece of clogged toilets is.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!