I will fight you.

#91DagorhaPosted 3/27/2013 5:52:27 AM
Bulleta posted...
I'm of the mind that all discussions are valuable even if they eventually turn to crap later.

-- Yes but it is especially ripped from They Live. If you haven't seen it, you should. Things like words underneath other things and demons hiding in the guise of humans and being kept stupid by soda are all things in the movie itself. Like I said, They Live wasn't that great to begin with which makes ripping it off perplexing.

-- I can deal with almost any visual style but a game that only uses a certain visual style gets old after awhile. Especially in a game where it takes place in a complete other world where they have to think of increasingly contrived reasons to force Dante into that world. This is why juxtaposition is so necessary, this is why both DMC3 and DMC1 kept its craziest set pieces for the tail of the game. Also there is a problem of connectivity between worlds where as the real world often comes across as even more surreal and fake when it really aught not to be. The visuals are bad but that is just personal taste. Its how they structure the game is the big gripe. The visuals are just the catalyst

- I'll adress all this in a separate post. But I digress anyway, the gameplay isn't bad. It just isn't great which isn't bad, just disappointing.

--The problem is likability. People didn't really like DMC3 Dante anyway if you weren't entirely aware but taking away his badass motif that glossed over what a tool he was just leaves what he always came across, shallow and childish. His cursing just accents the problem and wouldn't be too bad if thats all it was. I'll fight you tooth and nail over Vergil and Mundus though. Vergil was utterly ripped apart and is utterly unrecognizable other then his primary motivation and even then that was completely bastardized from "I need power to protect and so I don't end up like Daddy and Mommy" to "Well I think we'd make better leaders. Oh excuse me, you don't mind if I take over the world k?" Mundus was worse though. At least New Vergil had some redeeming qualities, the Mundus in this game literally broke the rule of less is more and became just a shadow of his former self who used angelic and Zeus-esque iconography to put forth power and hide that he was basically just a big ball of red goo and even still, Dante fought him 3 times, and at his absolute weakest after he had gotten trounced by Dante using Sparda's power, after Dante reverted back to normal, Mundus still had the gaul to mock Dante for being so weak. Now that is the essence of power distilled in one of its purest states. That is how you make your villain mighty.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#92StrelokPosted 3/27/2013 7:55:24 AM
Bulleta posted...
See my response to produner. Also, I seriously enjoy the platforming in this game. It's fun, challenging but accessible, etc, etc.

It's not even proper platforming. They took out most of the action, and... blugh.

So new and different themes are bad? To be honest, I like to consider this as a "re-imagining" and an "alternate universe" compared to the previous games. I definitely would like to see more games in the traditional style, but I also want to see more games in the new style as well. It's sort of like the difference between comic books and manga to me.

New and different isn't bad.
Done horribly wrong so it is completely unrecognizable is.

So he didn't make the joke you wanted him to make. As for the latter part, you could suggest the same about the Dante/Lady relationship in DMC3. It doesn't seem that way to me, but I guess that's just your opinion maybe?

Kat was utterly useless in this game. And it isn't just "a joke".
Every joke he makes is outright WRONG for not doing it right. From doing "you're dumped" to writing an obscenity on the list (So his name is Ef You?)
Dumb jokes like the wig scene, etc etc etc.
It isn't funny. It's infantile and dumb. It isn't sarcastic, it isn't cynical, it's just childish, like a 12 year old who first watched South Park.
No wait, South Park is actually funny.
Jerry Springer.

You see cowardice, I see single-mindedness fueled by ambition. Both are unlikable traits, but Vergil has always been flawed like that. It's the essence of his rivalry with Dante. That is based on what I remember from DMC3, though, which was a loooong time ago.

So you don't like the way she dresses, gb2church I guess? Also, I did not find the squirrel semen line offensive. It gave me a chuckle. Perhaps that is because I am familiar with "cakes of light", though. You will regret looking that up, but I urge you to anyway.

He is a coward. He is *NOTHING* like the original Vergil. He doesn't even have ambition, he shoots an unarmed pregnant women (demon or not) in the back with a sniper rifle.
You REALLY can't go more cowardly than that.

I'm not religious. She dresses like a whore. As someone who genuinely prefers a strong female protagonist, I find it disgusting.
The squirrel semen thing was disgusting and not really all that funny.
It's like they hired a bunch of 12/13 year olds to do the jokes. For something that is supposed to "treat us like sophisticated adults" we get a lit of "penis *giggle*" jokes.

I will have to concede a bit here. I just do not find sex as appalling or significant as the rest of humanity does. My reaction to that scene would have been the same if they had been sparring or having a night out on the town or whatever other things people like to do together.
The social commentary is a bit blunt and heavy handed, but that doesn't detract from its meaning to me. The problems it addresses are problems that have been ignored and brushed aside for so long that they've more or less earned the overemphasis.

Or not at all and there is just not much people can do about it.
Subtle social commentary is great.
This isn't even commentary, this is borderline propaganda.
I'm dead serious when I'm saying the Dark Savant from Wizardry 6-7-8 is a better villain.
And this is the friggin Dark Savant: http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/LetsPlayWizardry8/C12Img17.gif
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#93Malus_X6Posted 3/27/2013 9:41:23 AM
I'm dead serious when I'm saying the Dark Savant from Wizardry 6-7-8 is a better villain.
And this is the friggin Dark Savant: http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo59/LetsPlayWizardry8/C12Img17.gif

Looks like he's the cousin (twice removed) of Dark Helmet.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#94KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 3/27/2013 10:14:24 AM
Malus_X6 posted...

What does that make him and Donte?
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#95ramzariotPosted 3/27/2013 10:18:46 AM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
Malus_X6 posted...

What does that make him and Donte?

I know you wanted it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZd_YyFzPD0&t=30s
---
I grow tired of the foolish foolery of foolish fools.
#96TheOriginalMaxPosted 3/27/2013 1:49:17 PM
Validation was the word I was looking for.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.
#97Bulleta(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 2:53:58 PM
TheOriginalMax posted...
whooaaaaaa

You know, you would do well to follow your own advice. I really don't mean this offensively. You are superficially rational and logical, and you are able to communicate your points clearly. It's just that I see a certain bitterness and frustration in you. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm jaded past the point of bitterness and have stopped taking things seriously enough to let them affect me so negatively.

I am not the kind of person you seem to think I am, and I apologize for coming across like that. I tease because I know that the attitudes and actions I tease about are not going to change. There are some who will be willing to talk and listen, and I think I've made it clear that I respond to those people in positive and encouraging ways.

I challenge the views and ideas of others to test their validity alongside the validity of my own. I said you seemed unsure of yourself simply because you made it a point to leave yourself an out in case I did not turn out to be the kind of person you were taking the opportunity to criticize. As it turns out, I am not.

I see a lot of my younger self in you. I sincerely hope you one day experience the things I have experienced that allowed me to make peace with life and death.

..........eh, do me a favor and suppress the urge to call that last bit pretentious, would you? ;3
---
"Is it tasty?"
#98Bulleta(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 3:01:46 PM
Dagorha posted...
Strelok posted...

At this point I am kind of losing interest in the thread. I've been given the responses I hoped for from the few of you that cared enough to elaborate on how you feel about the game, and all I can really say beyond what I've already said is "well said".

Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain to me why you didn't like it without personally despising me for liking it. I believe all of your points have been valid and well said, and I'm glad that you took the time to listen to and respond to my own reasons for liking it. I was really just expecting a bunch of yelling and moaning.

To those of you who took offense to my teasing and lightheartedness, well, quit yelling and moaning. :P

Cheers, everyone.
---
"Is it tasty?"
#99Bulleta(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 3:16:21 PM
Actually, I do have one more thing to ask. To those of you who gave the well thought out responses, are any of you Metal Gear fans? If so, what do you think of Rising?

Oh, and Max, I thought I could keep myself from saying it, but I can't:

BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAYAL~

BE-TRAYED-ME!
---
"Is it tasty?"
#100TheSL1ClubPosted 3/27/2013 3:27:23 PM
Rising is a good HnS game, better than DmC considering it's first attempt at the genre while DMC is an established HnS franchise. P are more talented than NT any day that's for sure, being a MGS fan I welcome rising for a different take of the game play, if I want more traditional MGS game plays we got Ground Zero and Phantom Pain for that.
---
They call me Hadouken because I'm down right fierce.