why people hate this game.

#1GigerSupremePosted 3/25/2013 10:21:50 AM
it goes beyond just his character design or hair color. the change of dante is kinda a metaphor of capcom turning its back on the fans and loyal customers that have supported the series this far and who have been patiently waiting for the continuation of the series. for what purpose was the change for? to pursue an invisible market demographic?

the change of dante wasnt even a good change... i understand the idea of wanting to reboot your character in the vein of what chris nolan did for batman, honestly i do... this was probably what the higher ups at capcom wanted to do but unfortunately the executive types are not creative people, nor do they get why the nolan batman films were loved. so you wana do a gritty reboot of devil may cry? ok thats is fine, but that isnt what the ultimately did.

instead we got a weird fan fic of a mary sue like version of dante in name only. i dont know what was the original thesis of what the reboot was supposed to be, but i can tell you is i doubt Ninja Theory knew what hey were going to end up with. how can i tell, you ask? look at the announcement trailer...

in the announcement trailer for the dmc reboot, the concepts do not match with what we ultimately got-

limbo is an actual city, not a alternate dimension. this is expressed by the headshot of dante that reads "limbo city police department".

dante's attitude is radically different from what we ultimately got. he is alot more mean spirited and is a smoker... he is also alot more bruised and beat up and has a more brooding attitude.
ofcourse the fans hated it.

and then long stretch of silence from the developer...

and when the time came to show more, the devil trigger was revealed to be dante with white hair and a red coat.

i dont know how the development cycle was for devil may cry, but i know enough about game development to be able to tell that the NT crew took time to try to appeal to the original fans with each new trailer. dante's personality would be less brooding and more rebellious (but never fun or playful)
this also leads me to believe that the development cycle was a troubled one and they most likely kept on changing the story... the large collection of concept art depicts alot of scenes that are never seen and characters that are never used. ofcourse these things happen in game development, but i cant help but feel that this was a result of NT backpedalling on their initial concepts and to try to make the game feel more like a devil may cry game probably due to the massive backlash (they still ultimately failed)

that is probably some of the reasons why people dont like this game, it became a bland and forgettable game with an unlikeable jerk for a hero because the powers that be just dont get devil may cry. this whole fiasco has shown everybody on all sides all kinds of lessons...

capcom will probably pay more attention to what fans want now, so they wont suffer another financial loss like DmC again.

The fans have learned that they do infact have power, that voting with your wallet does work.

and ninja theory has learned the most important lesson of all. in story telling with charcaters... the original devil may cry games didnt need all that expensive mocap technology or have a pretentious "shakespearean" story... and they didnt need it. they had something better; a fun character with an emotional connection.
#2GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 10:23:23 AM
and i guess it didnt help that the combat was casual and really easy, weak bossfight design and lethargic enemies that telegraph all their moves and linear level design.
#3caffiend7Posted 3/25/2013 10:26:46 AM
9/10 it's okay
#4GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 10:32:05 AM
caffiend7 posted...
9/10 it's okay

is that all you have to contribute?
#5KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 3/25/2013 10:36:27 AM
TL;DR.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#6GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 10:38:37 AM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
TL;DR.

you should read it. you might learn something.
#7KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 3/25/2013 10:39:52 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
TL;DR.

Nah, I'm good. I know why I hate this game, I've written it at least 100 times in the past 8 months.

Besides, reading is for nerds and communists.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#8GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 10:41:08 AM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
TL;DR.

Nah, I'm good. I know why I hate this game, I've written it at least 100 times in the past 8 months.

read it please?

i really worked hard on this.
#9KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 3/25/2013 10:50:29 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
TL;DR.

read it please?

i really worked hard on this.

Buddy, I'm tired. I had a wedding and a reception to go to yesterday, I'm just here while I take care of some other internet related stuff.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#10produnerPosted 3/25/2013 10:52:14 AM
Sometimes when i'm alone, i pretend to be a black hole.
---
every time Ink-Ribbon posts the word "antis", i lose a hair strand.
Number of hair strands lost=2.