why people hate this game.

#21GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 1:54:14 AM
darkness1018 posted...
Have you ever thought though that, because this is Capcom we are talking about, they may just cancel the series altogether since the "antis" didnt buy DmC? What reason would they have to continue this series at all since not enough people bought this game. I want DMC 5 and DmC 2 and now, we may get neither.

capcom is stupid, no doubt... but they are not stupid to know that the reason why this game didnt sell was because the game itself was a radical departure from devil may cry. they saw the outcry, the reaction, the countless articles of people hating on this game because it was a betrayal of what the series was.

i guarantee it. there will be a dmc5.
#22darkness1018Posted 3/26/2013 2:53:49 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
darkness1018 posted...
Have you ever thought though that, because this is Capcom we are talking about, they may just cancel the series altogether since the "antis" didnt buy DmC? What reason would they have to continue this series at all since not enough people bought this game. I want DMC 5 and DmC 2 and now, we may get neither.

capcom is stupid, no doubt... but they are not stupid to know that the reason why this game didnt sell was because the game itself was a radical departure from devil may cry. they saw the outcry, the reaction, the countless articles of people hating on this game because it was a betrayal of what the series was.

Im not so sure about that. There was some fan outcry about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, it was a departure from the others in the series, it didnt sell well, Capcom cancelled the series. Onimusha, the was some fan outcry over Dawn of Dreams, again it was a departure from the series, it didnt sell well, Capcom cancelled the series. See where im goin with this? All im saying is dont hold your breath for DMC 5. Remember, they also cancelled Megaman Legends 3. I really liked DmC though and i hope like i said for DMC 5 and DmC 2 but im not counting on either.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita)
3DS XL FC: 1693-0734-3733
#23StepswordsmanPosted 3/26/2013 3:03:49 AM
Why is Capcom cancelling DMC series because people hate DmC considered to be a bad thing? "You don't like DmC and didn't buy it, so Capcom will stop making cheap awful cash-ins with a familiar name slapped onto them instead of trying to sell you another one!" Jesus, I'm so horrified at the thought.

Seriously though, what options do we have? I see two:

1.buying pieces of crap like DmC so that Capcom sees that they sell and makes more;
2 not buying them and forcing Capcom to do something else.

The latter is the better one even if it means that DMC has to die, and there's even hope that it doesn't.
---
Besides I or anyone else was flamming anyone.
#24darkness1018Posted 3/26/2013 3:09:40 AM
Stepswordsman posted...
Why is Capcom cancelling DMC series because people hate DmC considered to be a bad thing? "You don't like DmC and didn't buy it, so Capcom will stop making cheap awful cash-ins with a familiar name slapped onto them instead of trying to sell you another one!" Jesus, I'm so horrified at the thought.

1.buying pieces of crap like DmC so that Capcom sees that they sell and makes more;

The latter is the better one even if it means that DMC has to die, and there's even hope that it doesn't.

I liked DMC and DmC so id be sad to see either version of the series die away.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita)
3DS XL FC: 1693-0734-3733
#25KyryloPosted 3/26/2013 3:25:15 AM
darkness1018 posted...
Stepswordsman posted...

I liked DMC and DmC so id be sad to see either version of the series die away.

well, you can't hang in the middle. So if all fans showed they want DMC5 or DmC2 it may have happened. But since half there and half there, we won't see either.
#26StepswordsmanPosted 3/26/2013 4:02:04 AM
DMC5 and DmC2 can not exist together. Devil May Cry isn't a titan of the video game world, like Mega Man used to be. It's a moderately popular action game series, but its name can't support extra games like Devil May Cry Tactics and DMC: Alastor's Adventures. Capcom can say whatever they want about DmC being a prequel, but not really, a reboot, except not and a spin-off, though not at all, but it's obvious that they just wanted to sell DMC to the God of War audience (seeing how they pretty much admitted it). If it succeeded, that would have been it - they'd just keep selling it to them again and again. If you like DMC series and DmC, you'd have to bid farewell to one of them. If you only like DMC, things are even worse. And if you like DmC, but not DMC, then why did you buy so few copies, don't you support great games? Also, have you thought about the developers? They may lose their jobs!

It's important to remember that you're not choosing between "DmC2, DMC5, Mega Man Legends 3 and ALL the great games!" (lol, "DmC" and "great") and "no fun allowed" when choosing whether to buy DmC or not. The choice is as simple and Shakespearean as "To DmC, or not to DmC".

In any case, it's way too late to try and salvage DmC at this point. The game has failed, for whatever other reason on top of it being so bad.
---
Besides I or anyone else was flamming anyone.
#27pyro_buntaPosted 3/26/2013 4:14:46 AM
I read it.
---
...for Tony Redgrave...
#28Honey-BoyPosted 3/27/2013 1:18:31 AM
darkness1018 posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
darkness1018 posted...

Im not so sure about that. There was some fan outcry about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, it was a departure from the others in the series, it didnt sell well, Capcom cancelled the series. Onimusha, the was some fan outcry over Dawn of Dreams, again it was a departure from the series, it didnt sell well, Capcom cancelled the series. See where im goin with this? All im saying is dont hold your breath for DMC 5. Remember, they also cancelled Megaman Legends 3. I really liked DmC though and i hope like i said for DMC 5 and DmC 2 but im not counting on either.

difference is, those games were never the cash cow that devil may cry was. capcom is stupid, but not blind.
---
~choose death~
#29Honey-BoyPosted 3/27/2013 1:21:37 AM
the sales for the HD collection of the classic dmc games will give capcom the signal that there is still an audience for dmc.

the collection sold higher than the reboot. capcom will follow the money and will most likely interpret this as need to make a continuation of the real devil may cry... not the ninja theory impostor.
---
~choose death~
#30NostalgiaRulesPosted 3/27/2013 8:06:27 PM
GigerSupreme posted...
it goes beyond just his character design or hair color. the change of dante is kinda a metaphor of capcom turning its back on the fans and loyal customers that have supported the series this far and who have been patiently waiting for the continuation of the series. for what purpose was the change for? to pursue an invisible market demographic?

the change of dante wasnt even a good change... i understand the idea of wanting to reboot your character in the vein of what chris nolan did for batman, honestly i do... this was probably what the higher ups at capcom wanted to do but unfortunately the executive types are not creative people, nor do they get why the nolan batman films were loved. so you wana do a gritty reboot of devil may cry? ok thats is fine, but that isnt what the ultimately did.

instead we got a weird fan fic of a mary sue like version of dante in name only. i dont know what was the original thesis of what the reboot was supposed to be, but i can tell you is i doubt Ninja Theory knew what hey were going to end up with. how can i tell, you ask? look at the announcement trailer...

in the announcement trailer for the dmc reboot, the concepts do not match with what we ultimately got-

limbo is an actual city, not a alternate dimension. this is expressed by the headshot of dante that reads "limbo city police department".

dante's attitude is radically different from what we ultimately got. he is alot more mean spirited and is a smoker... he is also alot more bruised and beat up and has a more brooding attitude.
ofcourse the fans hated it.

and then long stretch of silence from the developer...

and when the time came to show more, the devil trigger was revealed to be dante with white hair and a red coat.

i dont know how the development cycle was for devil may cry, but i know enough about game development to be able to tell that the NT crew took time to try to appeal to the original fans with each new trailer. dante's personality would be less brooding and more rebellious (but never fun or playful)
this also leads me to believe that the development cycle was a troubled one and they most likely kept on changing the story... the large collection of concept art depicts alot of scenes that are never seen and characters that are never used. ofcourse these things happen in game development, but i cant help but feel that this was a result of NT backpedalling on their initial concepts and to try to make the game feel more like a devil may cry game probably due to the massive backlash (they still ultimately failed)

that is probably some of the reasons why people dont like this game, it became a bland and forgettable game with an unlikeable jerk for a hero because the powers that be just dont get devil may cry. this whole fiasco has shown everybody on all sides all kinds of lessons...

capcom will probably pay more attention to what fans want now, so they wont suffer another financial loss like DmC again.

The fans have learned that they do infact have power, that voting with your wallet does work.

and ninja theory has learned the most important lesson of all. in story telling with charcaters... the original devil may cry games didnt need all that expensive mocap technology or have a pretentious "shakespearean" story... and they didnt need it. they had something better; a fun character with an emotional connection.

Another mistake Ninja Theory made was hyping the game up too much. They said that it would be the greatest thing ever, but many people who bought and played DmC were rather disappointed.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.