This was my first DMC.

#71GoldsicklePosted 3/29/2013 11:58:24 PM
JanneDaArc135 posted...
As for RE I would definitely recommend he start from 1-3 (most notably 2) 2 was a FANTASTIC game and is actually kind of scary. Would you not agree?

I know a few friends today who plays RE4 & 5 but refuses to play the older games, like REmake and 2.

I think even back in the late 90's, it was kinda niche among my gaming friends and I was like the only one who plays RE games.

I always try to get others interested in gaming or my favorite games but I slowly learned the hard way that people don't necessarily enjoy something the way I do.
My father fell asleep when I tried to show him MGS2 : /
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#72JanneDaArc135Posted 3/30/2013 12:26:55 AM
Goldsickle posted...
JanneDaArc135 posted...
As for RE I would definitely recommend he start from 1-3 (most notably 2) 2 was a FANTASTIC game and is actually kind of scary. Would you not agree?

I know a few friends today who plays RE4 & 5 but refuses to play the older games, like REmake and 2.

I think even back in the late 90's, it was kinda niche among my gaming friends and I was like the only one who plays RE games.

I always try to get others interested in gaming or my favorite games but I slowly learned the hard way that people don't necessarily enjoy something the way I do.
My father fell asleep when I tried to show him MGS2 : /

Nah, I understand. I personally loved RE 1-3 but I know it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Plus I know I am kind of one of the older posters on this board (27) so my "back in the day" might be different from other peoples. I absolutely loved Resident Evil and Silent Hill 2. Silent Hill 2 is on my all time favorite list because of how deep the endings go. Seriously there is sooooo much symbolism in that game that is blows my mind. Still my "back in the day" was like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania 1, etc. lol
---
The older rpg games will always be the best forever and ever.
Now Playing: Touhou: Imperishable Night PSN: janne-da-arc24.
#73dillpickle69Posted 3/30/2013 12:28:52 AM
Man, I could never do that. I'm the type of person who has to play the predecessors first if I want to play a game. I wanted to play RE6 but I haven't played an RE game before that, so I went and bought the anthology edition (RE1-6) and Code Veronica, and I'm currently playing all of them in order. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to play the game without trying to understand what's going on, and even if I did, if I eventually felt like playing the earlier games, it would feel pointless and spoiled since I know what ultimately happens in the end.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
http://www.mindistortion.tv/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=dillpickle61
#74mooreandrew58Posted 3/30/2013 12:31:38 AM
my fist DMC game was 2, and well its not my favourite but I still really enjoyed it even though dante is clearly diffirent in that game, not being his normal cocky smack talking self. unfortuantly I only got to play a little of 1, friend couldn't beat the final area and boss of the game and I ended up doing it for him... haven't had the chance to play DmC yet but I bet i'd still enjoy it, as to me its mostly about the gameplay in this genre, by enjoying dante for his normal self and the way he was in two I feel him being changed again wouldn't bother me so much, but then again i've come to notice im much easier to please than most gamers
#75JanneDaArc135Posted 3/30/2013 12:35:09 AM
dillpickle69 posted...
Man, I could never do that. I'm the type of person who has to play the predecessors first if I want to play a game. I wanted to play RE6 but I haven't played an RE game before that, so I went and bought the anthology edition (RE1-6) and Code Veronica, and I'm currently playing all of them in order. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to play the game without trying to understand what's going on, and even if I did, if I eventually felt like playing the earlier games, it would feel pointless and spoiled since I know what ultimately happens in the end.

I'm the same way man <.< You are not the only one who feels that way :)
---
The older rpg games will always be the best forever and ever.
Now Playing: Touhou: Imperishable Night PSN: janne-da-arc24.
#76dillpickle69Posted 3/30/2013 12:52:19 AM
Thank god, I was beginning to think I was alone here! Though I can play the games that have nothing to do with each other, like Final Fantasy :D
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
http://www.mindistortion.tv/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=dillpickle61
#77FulvipPosted 3/30/2013 12:59:39 AM(edited)
I'm sorry TC. The first time should be with a special one.

Also, the reason a noob at this genre likes DmC is because that is what DmC is supposed to be, a stepping stone to better games, drowned in casual sauce. That's why the game isn't worth the money.
---
Official Auron of the boards. The only one bad*** enough to like Light.
CP: TERA, MGR, TR
#78KyryloPosted 3/30/2013 1:01:16 AM
oh, look THAT topic again.
#79HeX4869Posted 3/30/2013 4:09:35 AM
katella posted...

Could you elaborate? Or are you just being a troll?

I'm really not gonna argue about this. But DmC's intended audience is people like you. I'm not in the mood to go into details but I'll use an analogy:
it's like someone who never listened to actual metal/rock music hears Linkin Park for the first time and doesn't understand why so many people dislike their music.
---
Surface Velocity!
#80DagorhaPosted 3/30/2013 6:21:23 AM
katella posted...
So my question to you all is why this game has such negative views? I thoroughly enjoyed this game and would easily give it like an 8/10 or so. Im not really in to these sort of games to begin with so i guess what im trying to say is, if a genre newbie like me is impressed with this game then why is there such bad juju directed toward it? Is it because i have yet to experience other action games? Ive also played GoW and i feel that theyre on the same level and GoW has very, very good ratings. Just asking because i was really surprised when i saw the score on this game while looking up a quick faq for the last boss.

You haven't played the original games so your information about the series as a whole is tragically lacking. From the perspective of a person who doesn't love the originals, this DMC is just good. A 6/10 game so to speak since it really lacks a lot of the flair of other games in both combat, atmosphere and story. But if you want to know the other issues then continue reading.

- Main characters are tools. They are either on the bland spectrum or just stupid without any loveability.

- the pacing is simply terrible

- the art style is saturated with red and blues with only the occasional pallet chop along that spectrum. There is no levity between these two colors, no contrast which is why even the "real world" feels disturbingly surreal as if that is actually the fake world and not Limbo.

^^^I wish I could explain this better in a way where people understand it but imagine a game that only has miraculous set pieces. The result of such a thing is inevitably becoming accustomed to it. What should be spectacular, becomes normal. God of War knows this and breaks off its set pieces with slower sections. The original DMCs did this too.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut