So what was the point of rainstorm in DMC1-4?

#1wolf riderPosted 3/30/2013 2:15:42 AM
Is it just for style and staying in the air longer?
---
"When was the last time someone said 'Man, I wish this game had MORE QTEs'? Never mother******. That's when!" ~ Samuel L. Jackson on QTEs
True story.
#2StrelokPosted 3/30/2013 3:47:30 AM
Leap over a clustered group of enemies. Use rainstorm.

I didn't use Rainstorm that often, but it was a nice move when there was a nice cluster of enemies on the ground.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#3StepswordsmanPosted 3/30/2013 3:58:01 AM(edited)
It's pretty much about style, but it also had actual uses.

In DMC1, it was a nice air-to ground move that got powered up by Alastor while in DT form.
In DMC3, it was something you could use to stay in the air for longer (it was pretty weak when used that way, though, since the bullets are very spread out at startup) or to plummet to the ground while your guns are charging up.
In DMC4, you could travel through the air with it, so you could both shoot enemies below you and and maneuver at the same time.

Rain Storm has always been a cool move before, what's your problem with it? You can't be insinuating that NT's version of it is in any way not worse than that of original games', can you?
---
Besides I or anyone else was flamming anyone.
#4ramzariotPosted 3/30/2013 4:51:16 AM
I cannot recall seeing rainstorm in the original ever.
---
I grow tired of the foolish foolery of foolish fools.
#5StepswordsmanPosted 3/30/2013 4:57:50 AM
Really? I clearly remember guns having thunderbolts with Alastor. Was it not when using Rain Storm? I need to replay DMC... ._.
---
Besides I or anyone else was flamming anyone.
#6HeX4869Posted 3/30/2013 5:10:03 AM
Seriously? No wonder some of you people like DmC.

Launch an enemy in the air, attack, jump-cancel, rainstorm, jump-cancel, continue-attacking.
---
Surface Velocity!
#7Psychochild27Posted 3/30/2013 5:39:50 AM(edited)
In DMC4, you could travel through the air with it, so you could both shoot enemies below you and and maneuver at the same time.

Yep. In DMC4 it could be used as a positioning tool in aerial combos by jump cancelling Killer Bee or Sky Star into Rain Storm to carry Dante up and over an enemy as he would maintain some of the momentum from those moves to arc over his target and end up neatly at the other side at a perfect height to continue JC'ing easily (Good if you know an enemy is about to attack Dante but don't want to drop the air combo). Or you could just use it as a way to get more distance out of your normal sky stars as a ghetto zoning tool.

Fireworks, Jealousy and normal gun spam can also be used in a similar fashion, though I want to say you lose a lot more of that aerial momentum using normal gun shots or Jealousy than you would Rain Storm and the effectiveness of these damage-wise drop off the further you get away from your target making those less appealing if you have viable targets under you.

It also gets a bonus to removing the defensive barriers on Mephistos, Fausts, and Chimera'd enemies much like how Fireworks and Charge Shots are very effective and it's very easy to set up.

Really? I clearly remember guns having thunderbolts with Alastor. Was it not when using Rain Storm? I need to replay DMC... ._.

Move didn't exist until DMC2. You're thinking of Dante's DT/Charge Shot gun spam. In DMC1, all he had was the air shooting attack mapped to guns by default.

In DMC3, it was something you could use to stay in the air for longer (it was pretty weak when used that way, though, since the bullets are very spread out at startup) or to plummet to the ground while your guns are charging up.

It can also be useful for buffering Crazy Combo moves like Wild Stomp or Million Stab wihle you were doing the Rain Storm.
#8Dinah7Posted 3/30/2013 9:44:36 AM
Its the best move in DMC2 soo it was useful! Ebony and Ivory/Handguns are really the only good gun in that game anyway
#9wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 6:37:56 PM
Stepswordsman posted...
Rain Storm has always been a cool move before, what's your problem with it?

It just feels like a stylish move that didn't really add anything to gameplay and was there to pad out Gunslinger's movelist for E&I.

And I really don't think what it does for JC'ing counts since I doubt the devs expected people to exploit it that much.
---
"When was the last time someone said 'Man, I wish this game had MORE QTEs'? Never mother******. That's when!" ~ Samuel L. Jackson on QTEs
True story.
#10funkmastermcgeePosted 3/30/2013 8:01:12 PM
wolf rider posted...
Stepswordsman posted...
Rain Storm has always been a cool move before, what's your problem with it?

It just feels like a stylish move that didn't really add anything to gameplay and was there to pad out Gunslinger's movelist for E&I.

And I really don't think what it does for JC'ing counts since I doubt the devs expected people to exploit it that much.

It's obvious they expected it. It was used plenty in the trailers.
---
R.I.P Hunter1534