Why is Tomb Raider a success but DmC isn't?

#11dillpickle69Posted 4/3/2013 6:43:27 AM
Simple Answer: Because it still FELT like Tomb Raider, at least a lot more than DmC felt like Devil May Cry
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
http://www.mindistortion.tv/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=dillpickle61
#12JELIFISH19(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 6:49:54 AM
dillpickle69 posted...
Simple Answer: Because it still FELT like Tomb Raider, at least a lot more than DmC felt like Devil May Cry

Killing 100s of people and swimming through a pool of blood as a scared girl feels like old Tomb Raider? DmC resembled older DMCs more than the new TR did.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
Capcom, ASW, & NRS fighting games 4 Life
#13RetsuxDPosted 4/3/2013 6:55:15 AM
It had a target audience and better PR.
#14MoreFunThanTVPosted 4/3/2013 7:03:21 AM
Just being the most similar to the older games still doesn't equal success if the game is still bad. Actually I'll say this sorta worked against DmC too since what makes it similar are the most shallow of elements while it completely ignores the deeper ones that actually made the old games great.

So if someone who liked the old games plays the new one the game itself pretty much constantly reminds them how crappy it is compared to the old games simply because it is like a really shallow version of of the old ones with some new problems thrown in to boot.

I'll put it like this if you were to consider Tomb Raider not a part of a previous series it would still be a good game, DmC at best could be considered ok but alot of people consider it complete crap.

Doesn't help that the only PR Capcom even did for this game was pointed towards the old fans telling them to get over the hair color while ignoring their complaints.
---
Divine Goddess of All That Is Prolix.
#15ScreamingMidgetPosted 4/3/2013 7:46:24 AM
Because TR is good and DmC is crap.
#16rockman11_zPosted 4/3/2013 7:58:17 AM
Such an easy question. TR does not flop in quality while DmC fFFfLLLlOOoPppPpPeeeddddd in quality.

DmC flopped. I'm sorry. Not taking jabs but it flopped.
---
Previous rank 5 all time in the world Capture the Leader/Guardian Gears of War 3. Official fiancee of Naoto Shirogane( it's canon too)
#17akira_hisyamPosted 4/3/2013 8:31:07 AM
JELIFISH19 posted...
dillpickle69 posted...

Killing 100s of people and swimming through a pool of blood as a scared girl feels like old Tomb Raider? DmC resembled older DMCs more than the new TR did.

the tr reboot is origin story,unlike DmC,cd make a good job to attract casual,rebooting the game and manage to put a bit vibe of old tr,the team also know what to do,what to expect from fans and backlash of tr reboot were few but most were positive praise.

DmC while it a reboot of past dmc,it dont have a vibe of past game,false advertisement,bad marketing,arrogant developer,joke review,insulting old fans,that not the way,it make the game worse.

for DmC review this game dont deserve 9 out of 10, the review were a joke,a upgrade,great refine gameplay?please!! now i know why most review barely give past dmc good score,because people like those review are suck playing past dmc,the only thing why they praise gameplay of DmC because it easy,button mash.

tomb raider reboot deserve high score because it still maintain what make past tomb raider were goood.

it like peter parker were bite by ant but he call himself spiderman.....that what DmC look alike.have the name of devil may cry but dont have anything what make devil may cry a good game.
---
i wont let the last heaven honor die with it champion-war
#18Dark_EpathyPosted 4/3/2013 9:27:49 AM
I've seen some TR purists hate on the reboot pretty hard. So, while it may be a good game, them hating on it for what they perceive as being "unfaithful" is not so different than some of the people hating on DmC.

Granted, I know little about Tomb Raider as a series, so I can't really comment on it. But it goes to show the power of perception.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#19produnerPosted 4/3/2013 9:39:41 AM(edited)
It is simple, DMC didn't need a reboot and it was at its peak. TR needed one but the new reboot isn't really something special, it succeeded because it took a casual route instead of reinventing the stuff that made TR great.

Aside from that, DmC lacks in terms of quality and it is average at best.
---
Huskies are quite the handful.
When i'm alone, i pretend to be a black hole.
#20NeoFalconHavokPosted 4/3/2013 11:18:46 AM
Playing the old Tomb Raiders, they were pretty awful. I'm not sure how the new one plays though.
---
"If this guy has a problem with GameFaqs users that like Nintendo games, he can kiss my ass."
LMFAO