Finally playing this...

#1Junker91Posted 4/3/2013 1:55:20 PM(edited)
So I finally got round to playing this after avoiding it like the plague. Why? Because I loved DMC1-4 and really did not see why they felt the need to reboot the series. Also, the developer came of as a d***. Sure DMC4 showed that the series was starting to age but still we had an awesome Dante and a badass Vergil to call our own.

So anyway, I rented this game the other day. I'm on mission 15 now and I'm doing my first run on nephilim. Anyway, I came into this with a completely objective point of view. I finally got over the idea of this unwanted reboot. Here are my pros and cons:

+ Great art design. Especially the club level and mission 10 boss fight.
+ Fun combat system. Not as great as MGR or DMC3 but I'd say accessible and with a learning curve. I don't think it's as rich as DMC3, with all it's cancels, from an initial look.
+ Vergil's design is pretty cool. As of yet, haven't seen him slay any demons with yamato but hope he does.
+ Interesting boss fights.
+ Cool devil trigger. I dunno why but I always felt like DT in DMC3 was weak somehow. In DMC1. In DMC3 it seemed to only marginally increase damage. In DMC1 however, DT was powerful and felt empowering but was balanced by being depleted quickly. I think DmC makes the DT feel good.

- Easy. I started my first playthrough on nephelim and have been getting S ranks almost every mission. Hopefully DMD will be a challenge.
- Ebony and Ivory seem useless.
- Cheesy dialogue.
- For the most part, forgettable characters.
- Framerate (almost forgot this one)
Thoughts? I know there's lots of hate but what do people who are fans of Bayonetta, DMC1-4, Rising and can ignore the whole reboot controversy think of it?
---
The MGS fanbase has to be the only one to hate all their games!
Relax! A new MGS is always welcome; playing games like MGS is one of the good things in life.
#2darkslayer001Posted 4/3/2013 2:31:14 PM
I dont think we should consider this game to have a DT.
its more akin to Rage mode from God of war
#3prince_nagashPosted 4/3/2013 3:30:16 PM
DMC3 DT did feel underwhelming compared to 1. Except when you inforporate DT Flux.

I believe DMC1 DT lasted the longest out of all 4 games, and the meter built up the fasted. The only time it didn't last long was when you spammed Ifrit Specials.
#4Gogito4Posted 4/3/2013 3:48:10 PM
Junker91 posted...

+ Vergil's design is pretty cool. As of yet, haven't seen him slay any demons with yamato but hope he does.

1- Prepare to be dissapointed.

2- Wut?
---
Excited for: MHTri U, Fire Emblem Awakening, FFVSXIII (It will come out... eventually. Right?)
Dissidia 012: Main:Terra Subs:Squall,WoL,Cloud and Kain.
#5zhaoyun99Posted 4/3/2013 3:56:13 PM
prince_nagash posted...
DMC3 DT did feel underwhelming compared to 1. Except when you inforporate DT Flux.

I believe DMC1 DT lasted the longest out of all 4 games, and the meter built up the fasted. The only time it didn't last long was when you spammed Ifrit Specials.

DT in DMC3 was more like a Megaman X buster which eat up your symbol but Hell, Constant Jump Cancel+DT burst (3 or more) could crack up Style meter like crazy. It had more use than you think. It also increase walking speed too.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#6DagorhaPosted 4/3/2013 4:13:04 PM(edited)
It's mediocre. The visuals only really get interesting later and it is still terribly saturated in blue and red. The serious lack of juxtaposition really kills it. The combat isn't bad and I enjoyed it but DMC3 and DMC4 are still much better. The boss fights, except for the last one and the first 2, were actually pretty good and I enjoyed them the most. The characters are pretty bad though.

Dante is a complete tool, Vergil's motivation for that thing he did is entirely non-existent and never discussed and only hinted at once. Vergil is also an idiot which doesn't help matters. Kat is ok though. Oh but Mundus is terrible, simply offensive in almost every way. Offensively stupid, offensively designed, offensively offensive and strangely enough I felt more emotionally attached to him then our heroes which as you may have guessed... I find offensive.

The plot itself is just ok. They ripped it straight from the movie They Live without the hilarity that movie possessed.

Now as a DMC fan, the game is absolutely garbage but as a fan of games themselves, this game is just ok. The combat, the platforming and the occasional cool boss is what got me through it.
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#7Junker91(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2013 4:14:34 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the good responses. Expected to be flaming for liking it. But yeah I agree, good game but not good DMC game.
---
The MGS fanbase has to be the only one to hate all their games!
Relax! A new MGS is always welcome; playing games like MGS is one of the good things in life.
#8RunothPosted 4/3/2013 4:59:56 PM
Junker91 posted...

+ Cool devil trigger. I dunno why but I always felt like DT in DMC3 was weak somehow. In DMC1. In DMC3 it seemed to only marginally increase damage. In DMC1 however, DT was powerful and felt empowering but was balanced by being depleted quickly. I think DmC makes the DT feel good.

- You can play as Vergil in the DLC. Which I recommend you do, as Vergil is far more interesting to play as than Donte.
- I thought the boss fights were pretty boring except for Bob Barbas, but to each his own.
- I also dislike the DT in this game. Even though it allows you to be more strategic in launching guys into the air, your meter is consumed so quickly that you're better off just saving it up and owning an entire wave as opposed to using it in bursts. I liked DMC1/3's DT better, it gave you better reaction time for crazy combos, and some healing to get out of tight spots.

- Easy. I started my first playthrough on nephelim and have been getting S ranks almost every mission. Hopefully DMD will be a challenge.
- Cheesy dialogue.
- For the most part, forgettable characters.
- Framerate (almost forgot this one)

- It's not that much harder on DMD unfortunately. About the only things added are more annoying enemy combinations, which are more frustrating than fun to fight, enemy DT (which is just stun immunity) and attacks do more damage. That's it.
- Ricoshot is pretty good, and Rainstorm is good for a style boost, but that's about it. Inverse Rainstorm and regular shooting are pretty underwhelming. Shooting isn't even fun in this game compared to DMC1/3.
- For the most part.
- Yep.
- Not a problem for PC.
#9GoldsicklePosted 4/3/2013 8:03:34 PM(edited)
Junker91 posted...

Like some reviews stated, the boss fights is where things take a dive for me.

Regular combat for this game flows smoother than the previous ones (no more of that "survival horror" controls) but none of the bosses has been awe-inspiring or interesting, like Angelo Credo or Echidna.

Ricoshot level 3 can put 2-3 Rages in a dazed state.

It's also useful in stopping a group of enemies for a brief moment.
Get the upgrade where Ricoshot can bounce back and forth on a single enemy to maximize it's usefulness.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#10ss14knightPosted 4/3/2013 8:16:07 PM
The bosses and the arenas you fight them in look fantastic. They aren't as fun to fight though. The first boss was the only one to have cool cinematic counters (though most people seem to have not found them). Poison is just a bore to fight. Bob Barbas is pretty fun, but mostly he's just a graphical amazement. I know they were all about the awesome looking backdrops but the fourth bosses arena had TOO much going on. The second phase of that fight, I can hardly see a thing half the time. The final boss was a ton of fun for me, it's a shame he never leaves the defensive to get a little more offensive though.