Ninja Theory's insulting, offensive GDC conference

#161No_one_specialPosted 4/5/2013 12:22:24 PM
ss14knight posted...
JELIFISH19 posted...
NostalgiaRules posted...
I see. What's really weird is that the only "Japanese-y" thing in all of DMC was Yamato. Everything else was western style. Even in its untranslated format, DMC always had English voice actors. In the video games, there was no over exaggerated sweat drops, no huge watery anime eyes and none of the usual anime anything in DMC.

In any case, even if the Brokeback Mountain picture was taken out of the equation altogether, it seemed as if NT was still trying to stick their finger in the eye of people who still like DMC. I think they're angry because DmC didn't sell so well.

Many of the top Japanese franchises try to imitate the western aesthetic. Off the top of my head, there's Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Lost Planet, Silent Hill, Dead Rising, Castlevania, Devil May Cry, most Nintendo games, and most Namco and Capcom fighting games. Most of these games take place in the America or Europe and feature non-Japanese characters. The Nintendo and fighting games take a more ambiguous approach. But if Steven Spielberg directs a movie that takes place in Japan and has Japanese characters, it wouldn't be a Japanese movie. No one considers Chronicles of a Geisha to be a Japanese movie. One of the main issues with projects like these is things get lost in translation.

At the time that most of those franchises came out, studios in America and Europe weren't really making high quality games. So Japanese developers capitalized by making games that appealed to the American and European audience. But American and European developers started making good games this gen. The Japanese devs are having trouble keeping up because they can't deliver authentic American games. They often feel off compared to the real American games because they're kind of American but not really. Things just don't add up all of the time in those games. That was acceptable a few years ago but now we have games that feel right all around.

In DMC vs DmC terms, you've never seen someone in America talk or dress like DMC Dante but I'm sure you've seen people who are like DmC Dante. DmC Dante would fit much better in that Brokeback Mountain picture but they're not saying he's gay. In fact, most of us would fit in that picture better than DMC Dante. DmC Dante definitely fits right into that Fight Club picture. I personally didn't buy DmC since I don't buy $60 single-player games but I watched streams on twitch and walkthroughs on youtube. On many occasions, you would hear the commentator coincidentally say the same thing that Dante says while they're playing. That never happened in old DMCs. Those are the kinds of things that are lost in translation.

Both Dantes were made to be rebellious but that rebellion means different things to difference audiences. We don't see how rebellious DMC Dante is because we're not exposed to Japanese culture much. We're not going to outright say it's stupid and that you don't like that guy. But DmC Dante resembles something much more close to home for most of us so we can more easily say that we don't like him.

But back to the Brokeback Mountain picture. If you have a picture of circles and add a triangle to it. No one is going to say that the triangle is really a circle. They're going to say the triangle doesn't belong there. I don't get how people see that NT is saying old Dante is gay by putting him in a Brokeback Mountain picture. He just doesn't belong there.

I wish so bad GFAQs had a +1 system...

A +1 for what? Completely and utterly missing the point and VERY obvious implications of NT's immaturity and crass photoshopping?
---
http://tinyurl.com/d76kaod
http://i.imgur.com/qQLJe62.jpg
#162Orange00Posted 4/5/2013 12:40:28 PM
I'd giveit +1 as well. My guess NT could do better photoshop if they cared.. If that's your biggest issue..
---
Time Splitters HD Collection!!?? Gears are already in motion, sign the petition!!
#163No_one_specialPosted 4/5/2013 12:41:52 PM
Orange00 posted...
I'd giveit +1 as well. My guess NT could do better photoshop if they cared.. If that's your biggest issue..

No, MY issue is that they made a direct implication of Dante being "gay", and you've got their idiot trolling fanboys going around saying "THEY WERE OBVIOUSLY JUST PUTTING HIM INTO A WESTERN MOVIE!!!"

Bull.
---
#164ss14knightPosted 4/5/2013 1:08:07 PM
No_one_special posted...
Orange00 posted...

No, MY issue is that they made a direct implication of Dante being "gay", and you've got their idiot trolling fanboys going around saying "THEY WERE OBVIOUSLY JUST PUTTING HIM INTO A WESTERN MOVIE!!!"

Bull.

As I said earlier in the topic, I don't think NT was trying to be insulting, I think they're just clueless.
#165No_one_specialPosted 4/5/2013 1:15:23 PM
ss14knight posted...
No_one_special posted...
Orange00 posted...

Bull.

As I said earlier in the topic, I don't think NT was trying to be insulting, I think they're just clueless.

Really!? You don't think NT photoshopping the original Dante into a frame from a movie that gained notoriety and acclaim for the portrayal of two gay cowboys when they were, supposedly, told "Put Dante into a Western movie" isn't them trying to be insulting!?

GTFO.
---
#166NaturalEvil1Posted 4/5/2013 1:16:41 PM
ss14knight posted...
No_one_special posted...
Orange00 posted...

Bull.

Given the things Ninja Theory has said about the franchise in the past, I think they knew damn-well what they were doing when they put these pictures together. Not a lot of people look at Brokeback Mountain and think "My, what a great movie!" No, the reaction is always "Lol, gay cowboys."

And due to DMC4 Dante's cowboy-like get-up, Ninja Theory was implying that Dante himself was a gay cowboy by photoshopping him into that picture. So yes, they were trying to be insulting.
#167MoreFunThanTVPosted 4/5/2013 1:42:45 PM
Seems clear to me they were trying to make a gay cowboy joke.
If not then why choose Brokeback Mountain and not you know one of the hundred other western movies not mostly known for scenes of man on man sex?
---
Divine Goddess of All That Is Prolix.
#168HellsControllerPosted 4/5/2013 1:50:49 PM
Orange00 posted...

You are overestimating NT's skill at...well anything really.
---
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and claim somebody famous said it." ---George Washington.
#169Ether101Posted 4/5/2013 2:05:03 PM
ss14knight posted...
No_one_special posted...
Orange00 posted...

Bull.

Isn't that also the picture they should at NYCC? The one followed by "Oops, how that get in there." type of line? Every single one of those pictures were jabs at Dante, the series and the fans.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#170mad_hax_manPosted 4/5/2013 5:06:53 PM
This is of course, completely different to tall the antis throwing words like emo and gay at New Dante since they first saw him
---
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart