DmC2 more likely than DMC5...

#51PunkMcThrustPosted 4/5/2013 3:24:13 PM
Mixorz posted...
Again, no one knows how profitable this game was or wasn't. We don't know the budget, but we do know Capcom saved money by having NT develop it.

Lets not forget too that the units shipped are what make Capcom money. I never looked up that number but sold to the customer are where retailers make the profit. If Capcom shipped 2 million but 720K or whatever it is sold, they basically sold 2 million. Only thing is retailers won't want anymore because they will have an excess of product.

And again, the groundwork for DmC2 is already there, so chances are it would be even less to develop than DmC. And again, with a new generation of consoles, it would be a smart business move for Capcom to take advantage of that and release DmC2 as a launch title. It will not only sell better, but set a strong foothold for DmC as a franchise (and no I don't have proof they're doing this, but an understanding of business makes this scenario very plausible). Or at the very minimum release a DmC upgraded edition (next gen graphics, new content etc.).

They spent FIVE YEARS making this game and scrapping/changing concepts due to fan outcry, and in advertising alone this game's budget was probably larger than the first 3 games combined.

This game is easily the most expensive DMC to date.
---
Armstrong for President
#52produnerPosted 4/5/2013 3:25:24 PM
http://gear-fish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/PBB-BladeBait.jpg
---
Huskies are quite the handful.
When i'm alone, i pretend to be a black hole.
#53SiLVeR_420Posted 4/5/2013 3:25:52 PM
Those shipped units can be sent right back.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#54rockman11_zPosted 4/5/2013 3:26:04 PM
Mixorz posted...
Again, no one knows how profitable this game was or wasn't. We don't know the budget, but we do know Capcom saved money by having NT develop it.

Lets not forget too that the units shipped are what make Capcom money. I never looked up that number but sold to the customer are where retailers make the profit. If Capcom shipped 2 million but 720K or whatever it is sold, they basically sold 2 million. Only thing is retailers won't want anymore because they will have an excess of product.

And again, the groundwork for DmC2 is already there, so chances are it would be even less to develop than DmC. And again, with a new generation of consoles, it would be a smart business move for Capcom to take advantage of that and release DmC2 as a launch title. It will not only sell better, but set a strong foothold for DmC as a franchise (and no I don't have proof they're doing this, but an understanding of business makes this scenario very plausible). Or at the very minimum release a DmC upgraded edition (next gen graphics, new content etc.).

I'm compelled to ask. Shipped units does not mean sold, right? And I'm gonna read this post as speculation because quite frankly, it doesn't make sense.

A lot of fans wants DMC 5. The reception of a lot of fans were negative. Why do another?

Then again, anything is possible.....
---
Previous rank 5 all time in the world Capture the Leader/Guardian Gears of War 3. Official fiancee of Naoto Shirogane( it's canon too)
#55Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 3:29:11 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
Mixorz posted...

They spent FIVE YEARS making this game and scrapping/changing concepts due to fan outcry, and in advertising alone this game's budget was probably> larger than the first 3 games combined.

This game is easily the most expensive DMC to date.

But you don't know. That's the thing. We can speculate but we will never know tbh. Only thing that will prove it is if some Capcom exec comes out and says, "We lost money on DMC."
---
They'll always need men like us. Those who are willing to do what others cannot.
XBox Live GT: Mixorz
#56Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 3:39:08 PM(edited)
rockman11_z posted...
Mixorz posted...

I'm compelled to ask. Shipped units does not mean sold, right? And I'm gonna read this post as speculation because quite frankly, it doesn't make sense.

A lot of fans wants DMC 5. The reception of a lot of fans were negative. Why do another?

Then again, anything is possible.....

Okay, with consoles and games, units shipped are what make the devs money. When something sells in the store it makes the retailer money. When games continue to sell, retailers buy more from the devs. Generally with videogames, basically all the profit the game makes is like in the first few weeks of release. After that they will generally never ship the amount of units they did at launch. This is part of the reason devs hate used game sales because the retailer pockets all that profit without having to ship more from the dev.

So in short, what devs care about are units shipped. Sales after the fact can still effect many things, like the discussion were having now (regarding a sequel). We don't know for certain, but looking from a business standpoint, they have an opportunity with new consoles to release another DmC at launch (especially since launches are usually weak, Dead Rising was a mediocre game that did well because it was good compared to other launch titles), and secure strong footing for continuation of DmC.
---
They'll always need men like us. Those who are willing to do what others cannot.
#57PunkMcThrustPosted 4/5/2013 3:36:43 PM
Still even if they did break even or make a TINY amount of profit (let's face it with sales like that whatever they made wasn't much) it would be an extremely illogical and poor move to try and carry on after such bad sales and consumer reception.

Why sell hundreds of thousands when you could instead be selling millions? The original series broke 1mil with every entry, with 3 and 4 even breaking 2 or 3 each if you add up all the versions of them.
Hell DMC4 is a consistent best seller on Steam and is often a mainstay of the top 100 due to its high quality PC port and high reputation among action game fans. Not to mention the dirt cheap price.

Doing another DmC would be a gamble or waste of time and wouldn't be worth it compared to doing a DMC5. The numbers are there, DmC is struggling to breach the 700k point and the fanbase HATES it to the point of even hating Capcom as a whole, DMC series sold millions every entry and DMC3 and 4 are considered to be some of the best action games ever made.

Making another DmC makes no sense.
---
Armstrong for President
#58Rising_shadowPosted 4/5/2013 3:42:28 PM
Don't bother talking with this troll. He's just baiting the board again since the mods are apparently blind, deaf and dumb to the fact he's blatantly trolling, flame baiting and even harassing a user by calling him fat and out of shape, even insulting him on several different topics.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#59Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 3:45:13 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
Still even if they did break even or make a TINY amount of profit (let's face it with sales like that whatever they made wasn't much) it would be an extremely illogical and poor move to try and carry on after such bad sales and consumer reception.

Why sell hundreds of thousands when you could instead be selling millions? The original series broke 1mil with every entry, with 3 and 4 even breaking 2 or 3 each if you add up all the versions of them.
Hell DMC4 is a consistent best seller on Steam and is often a mainstay of the top 100 due to its high quality PC port and high reputation among action game fans. Not to mention the dirt cheap price.

Doing another DmC would be a gamble or waste of time and wouldn't be worth it compared to doing a DMC5. The numbers are there, DmC is struggling to breach the 700k point and the fanbase HATES it to the point of even hating Capcom as a whole, DMC series sold millions every entry and DMC3 and 4 are considered to be some of the best action games ever made.

Making another DmC makes no sense.

DMC as a series sold about 10 million. That's less than some Monster Hunter games. Capcom does not consider DMC a cash cow, and its really always been more of a fan service since they could just have been putting more money into games like SF, Resident Evil, and Monster Hunter (success in Japan). With DmC they probably attempted to make that leap, but were not able to.

I don't think they'll give up though because if they succeed they'll have created another staple franchise. If they go back to DMC it will simply be continuation of a stagnant series appealing to a niche fanbase. It will be more likely they just put DmC on the shelf than make DMC5, and funnel resources into their cash cows.
---
#60Mixorz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 3:48:37 PM
Rising_shadow posted...
Don't bother talking with this troll. He's just baiting the board again since the mods are apparently blind, deaf and dumb to the fact he's blatantly trolling, flame baiting and even harassing a user by calling him fat and out of shape, even insulting him on several different topics.

Really when did I say that in this topic? Oh I didn't.

And tbh I did it once (simply to call out a blatant lie he told on another board) and he kept bringing it up (as well as other users continue to bring it up). I'm content letting it go, but I think posters here (yourself included) just want to watch a flame war rather than have an intelligent discussion.
---