Capcom and Ninja Theory underestimate DMC

#1PunkMcThrustPosted 4/8/2013 11:31:33 AM
Going by the GDC conference it's VERY clear what Ninja Theory thinks of the original franchise and going by interviews and the game DmC itself that they've obviously never played one of the games before nor do they know anything about them. But what about Capcom?

Did Capcom just not understand how REVERED Devil May Cry 3 is - and to a lesser extent - 4, by the action gaming community?
Did either company involved know the reputation of the series they were rebooting among action game fans?
---
Armstrong for President
#2King-gamerPosted 4/8/2013 11:52:42 AM
I don't think they underestimated it per se. Rather they were just greedy. They felt old DMC was too anime or something so they decided to "westernize" it to make more money in the west. Yup because their Japanese fans don't matter anymore and because westerners apparently love everything that is "dark and gritty" and "edgy".

Seriously, I think they need to give this dark gritty stuff a rest. Not every game needs to be like the Dark Knight. It's not like Batman is the only thing in the western world. The west is famous for many things. True that many western media features this tone, but it's not like we only like "dark and gritty" stuff. They really need to see that the west is famous for many other things and other than Batman.

Not hating on batman though. Arkham was awesome.
---
This is a sig. Yup.
#3smithkakarotPosted 4/8/2013 11:58:32 AM
King-gamer posted...
I don't think they underestimated it per se. Rather they were just greedy. They felt old DMC was too anime or something so they decided to "westernize" it to make more money in the west. Yup because their Japanese fans don't matter anymore and because westerners apparently love everything that is "dark and gritty" and "edgy".

Seriously, I think they need to give this dark gritty stuff a rest. Not every game needs to be like the Dark Knight. It's not like Batman is the only thing in the western world. The west is famous for many things. True that many western media features this tone, but it's not like we only like "dark and gritty" stuff. They really need to see that the west is famous for many other things and other than Batman.

Not hating on batman though. Arkham was awesome.

They should get a western studio to make a bright and sunny hack n' slash with upbeat music.
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#4ZeroX07Posted 4/8/2013 12:02:45 PM
Its called lollipop chainsaw. I love it.
#5SiLVeR_420Posted 4/8/2013 12:10:37 PM
ZeroX07 posted...
Its called lollipop chainsaw. I love it.

Not western though.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#6ZeroX07Posted 4/8/2013 12:15:02 PM
Really? It felt west-y
#7SiLVeR_420Posted 4/8/2013 12:40:03 PM
ZeroX07 posted...
Really? It felt west-y

Its a Suda51 game.
---
Forgive the name.
#8PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 1:10:47 PM
Lollipop Chainsaw was terrible in every regard and Suda 51 barely had anything to do with it.

It was done by Hollywood horror-comedy writer James Gunn (who made Slither among other things).

Like almost every Grasshopper Manufacture game that Suda had nothing to do with, Suda 51's name was thrown on it to increase interest and sales. He's pretty much a figurehead for their games now. The last game he was honestly involved in (other than "writer" or "creative" aka nothing) was No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle.

He is actually doing some games now though. The remake(demake?) /port of The Silver Case as well as Killer Is Dead which comes out soon.
---
Armstrong for President
#9SiLVeR_420Posted 4/8/2013 1:21:41 PM
Lollipop Chainsaw wasn't that terrible. It was fun. Certainly a lot more fun then DmC.
Also you forgot Shadows of the Damned.
---
Forgive the name.
#10PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 1:26:11 PM
SiLVeR_420 posted...
Lollipop Chainsaw wasn't that terrible. It was fun. Certainly a lot more fun then DmC.
Also you forgot Shadows of the Damned.

It had terrible graphics and ABSOLUTELY HORRID gameplay (the worst I've played of the whole gen)
Story was okay, I liked most of the characters (Nick and Dad in particular), but the ones I didn't like I LOATHED TO DEATH.
The music was probably the best part of the game.

He was a "Creative Director" on Shadows (aka he MAY have thrown some ideas out there during development but probably not)
---
Armstrong for President