Capcom and Ninja Theory underestimate DMC

#11produnerPosted 4/8/2013 1:30:07 PM
The westernization and the obsession with the character design/ white hair is from ninja theory.

Capcom did what they can do to adjust the combat but , well its ninja theory, they can't use anything other than the crappy UE3 and they've hurt the game more with their stupid decisions like the color coded enemies and the weapons that they've designed.

Really the only decent weapon in DmC is rebellion, which is nearly identical to the original rebellion.
#12SpecterVonBarenPosted 4/8/2013 1:36:21 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
SiLVeR_420 posted...
Lollipop Chainsaw wasn't that terrible. It was fun. Certainly a lot more fun then DmC.
Also you forgot Shadows of the Damned.

It had terrible graphics and ABSOLUTELY HORRID gameplay (the worst I've played of the whole gen)
Story was okay, I liked most of the characters (Nick and Dad in particular), but the ones I didn't like I LOATHED TO DEATH.
The music was probably the best part of the game.

He was a "Creative Director" on Shadows (aka he MAY have thrown some ideas out there during development but probably not)

If Lollipop Chainsaw was the worst you've played this whole generation... Man I wish I had your skill at being able to find good games.
---
George Carlin~ Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
My Father~ Failure is ALWAYS an option... but giving up is not.
#13JELIFISH19Posted 4/8/2013 1:39:51 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
Did Capcom just not understand how REVERED Devil May Cry 3 is - and to a lesser extent - 4, by the action gaming community?
Did either company involved know the reputation of the series they were rebooting among action game fans?

I think you overestimate the action game community. Look at the fighting game community for example. The Capcom games are the highest on the totem pole and it's been that way for since the beginning. But they don't sell more than NRS games. Just because the community accepts something as the best doesn't mean everyone else would. Most people will never know why Capcom fighting games are good because they don't invest the time in them. Most people don't know what a jump cancel is in DMC because they don't spend the time and it's not necessary.

DMC is a weird franchise. The main character's story ended with the first game. And the game evolved into something that barely recognizable. The first DMC changed the genre but it was nothing like 3 and 4. DMC3 and 4 didn't have what made DMC1 great. The genre was also evolving. Games like GoW and NG offered more satisfying combat to most people. These games aren't about deep combat systems. It's about the joy of playing from start to finish. You honestly don't even get to explore the combat of DMC fully in your first playthrough since you need to unlock so much.

DMC1 is still the highest selling and highest rated one in the series. So they did something right in that one that they weren't able to capture in the previous games. The other games didn't live up to DMC1's reputation. They went with a western developer because action games sell more in America and Europe. And they're actually competing with good western action games now.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
Capcom, ASW, & NRS fighting games 4 Life
#14SiLVeR_420Posted 4/8/2013 1:44:52 PM
DMC4 is the highest selling one in the franchise.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#15SSJ_JinPosted 4/8/2013 1:56:55 PM
Capcom's just confused. They just want those CoD numbers and think making a game more "Western" is going to do it, thus ****in' up big time.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#16SiLVeR_420Posted 4/8/2013 1:58:40 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
SiLVeR_420 posted...
Lollipop Chainsaw wasn't that terrible. It was fun. Certainly a lot more fun then DmC.
Also you forgot Shadows of the Damned.

He was a "Creative Director" on Shadows (aka he MAY have thrown some ideas out there during development but probably not)

Shinji Mikami was the creative director. Suda was the actual director.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#17JELIFISH19Posted 4/8/2013 2:14:29 PM(edited)
SiLVeR_420 posted...

Oops, I forgot. But it's not the highest rated. And Dante wasn't even the main character. Nero was more accessible than Dante and offered more instant gratification. So what does that say about the "reputation."
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
#18Ether101Posted 4/8/2013 2:01:33 PM
JELIFISH19 posted...
PunkMcThrust posted...
Did Capcom just not understand how REVERED Devil May Cry 3 is - and to a lesser extent - 4, by the action gaming community?
Did either company involved know the reputation of the series they were rebooting among action game fans?

I think you overestimate the action game community. Look at the fighting game community for example. The Capcom games are the highest on the totem pole and it's been that way for since the beginning. But they don't sell more than NRS games. Just because the community accepts something as the best doesn't mean everyone else would. Most people will never know why Capcom fighting games are good because they don't invest the time in them. Most people don't know what a jump cancel is in DMC because they don't spend the time and it's not necessary.

DMC is a weird franchise. The main character's story ended with the first game. And the game evolved into something that barely recognizable. The first DMC changed the genre but it was nothing like 3 and 4. DMC3 and 4 didn't have what made DMC1 great. The genre was also evolving. Games like GoW and NG offered more satisfying combat to most people. These games aren't about deep combat systems. It's about the joy of playing from start to finish. You honestly don't even get to explore the combat of DMC fully in your first playthrough since you need to unlock so much.

DMC1 is still the highest selling and highest rated one in the series. So they did something right in that one that they weren't able to capture in the previous games. The other games didn't live up to DMC1's reputation. They went with a western developer because action games sell more in America and Europe. And they're actually competing with good western action games now.

You just said a whole bunch of nothin' and lied your ass off.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#19JELIFISH19Posted 4/8/2013 2:02:08 PM
What did I lie about
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
#20Ink-RibbonPosted 4/8/2013 2:07:48 PM
SiLVeR_420 posted...

That's only because it was released for both PS3 and XBOX...

If DMC 4 had followed previous games by being PS exclusive, it would have sold even less than DMC 2...

DMC 1 sold almost 3 million for PS2 only.XD