[POLL] Air Hike

#21Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 5:46:58 PM
syctheweilder posted...
I always saw air hike as a means to bolster combos rather than being used for platforming.

But that was back when Devil May Cry was all about combat.

The first DMC did have a bit of platforming which is similar to DmC.

While DmC has color-coded handholds, DMC have you press the Action (Jump) button on ledges or certain spots to have Dante jump, leap or descend automatically.

Before you could even get into your first battle, the game forces you to make use of the Kick Jump to collect all the Red Orbs in the main hall.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#22SiLVeR_420Posted 4/10/2013 6:19:23 PM
Goldsickle posted...
syctheweilder posted...
I always saw air hike as a means to bolster combos rather than being used for platforming.

But that was back when Devil May Cry was all about combat.

The first DMC did have a bit of platforming which is similar to DmC.

While DmC has color-coded handholds, DMC have you press the Action (Jump) button on ledges or certain spots to have Dante jump, leap or descend automatically.

Before you could even get into your first battle, the game forces you to make use of the Kick Jump to collect all the Red Orbs in the main hall.

DMC1-90% combat
5% running around
5% platforming
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#23Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 6:26:05 PM
SiLVeR_420 posted...
DMC1-90% combat
5% running around
5% platforming

I played DMC1 since 10 years ago.
There was a lot of running and jumping around between fights.
---
#24syctheweilderPosted 4/10/2013 6:28:23 PM
I played Devil May Cry 1a week ago.

Silver's right.
#25Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 6:39:55 PM
syctheweilder posted...
I played Devil May Cry 1a week ago.

Silver's right.

Probably played the wrong game.
There was a lot of running around for Rusty Keys, key items and whatnot in the first DMC.

Like I said, even in the first chapter, you're required to Kick Jump around just to get past the first door.
There's an alternative method where you can stand right on top of the statue to get the necessary Red Orbs quickly but it still requires some tricky platforming.
---
#26SiLVeR_420Posted 4/10/2013 6:50:24 PM
Who care if I'm wrong on the running around part when I'm right that DMC1 has very little platforming
---
Forgive the name.
#27Rising_shadowPosted 4/10/2013 7:54:12 PM
Yeah, there's a bit of jumping here and there but it's very minimal, much less compared to DmC's 50% platforming.
---
Frank Zappa is God. Fact.
King of Heroes, do you have enough swords?!
#28SiLVeR_420Posted 4/10/2013 9:11:02 PM
Rising_shadow posted...
Yeah, there's a bit of jumping here and there but it's very minimal, much less compared to DmC's 60-70% platforming.

Phoenix down.
---
Forgive the name.
#29Psychochild27Posted 4/10/2013 9:44:50 PM(edited)
SiLVeR_420 posted...
Who care if I'm wrong on the running around part when I'm right that DMC1 has very little platforming

Yep. Off the top of my head, you have the first room, the Ifrit room, the colliseum, the shattered bridge at one point, the dinosaur room and the final stage of Hell where there is any significant amount of platforming and not just the most rudimentary traversal to get from point A to Point B (And several can be completely negated with Air Raid/Vortex before you get to those points). Hell, there's more swimming sections in DMC1 than there are mandatory platforming sections to progress through the game.

Going for 100% completion, you will be doing more running around and hopping about, but very little is required to actually clear the game - I'm struggling to think of any of the big name 3D action games that have less platforming than DMC1 beyond... Omnimusha?

Like I said, even in the first chapter, you're required to Kick Jump around just to get past the first door.

Woah, woah, woah. You're telling me that a new at-the-time-groundbreaking 3D action game gave you a room to getyou acclimated to the movement controls and systems even in the first chapter? Goodness me, it may as well be Mario or Mega Man for all the hopping and wall hiking you're doing!

/it's more baffling that the subsequent games 3/4/DmC don't even bother giving you the courtesy of adjusting to the movement controls before casting you to combat.
#30SiLVeR_420Posted 4/10/2013 9:43:14 PM
Onimusha was like 95% fighting and 5% everything else. Twas great.
---
Forgive the name.