Japanese vs Western gaming

#131CrimzonHeadPosted 4/12/2013 2:24:10 AM
Previous gens: Japanese. This gen: Western.

I love both, but the west has dominated this generation.
---
http://tmblr.co/ZjrG3tfD8VtL <-- Read this, and stop whining.
Don't be scared homie
#132ScreamingMidgetPosted 4/12/2013 2:56:38 AM
CrimzonHead posted...

How?

I really don't give a damn about where a game is made, and no one should, as long as it's good, but Japan still dominates in most genres.
#133Orange00(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2013 3:49:25 AM
One thing that IMO makes western games feel a lil bit samey is probably because many of them use same engines. I mean Unreal engine seems to be the top choice. Bigger japanese companies rely on their own engines, Capcom having MT Framework and SquareEnix having Crystal and Luminous, not to mention Nintendo. This supports the difference heard in DmC interviews, how west creates the world first and then gameplay in it, whereas Japan makes gameplay first and then build the game around that.

There's no really saying which games are bad and which good, just a matter of taste. But it is undeniable that western companies make a whole lot of more money with games.
---
Time Splitters HD Collection!!?? Gears are already in motion, sign the petition!!
#134KyryloPosted 4/12/2013 5:11:51 AM
ScreamingMidget posted...
CrimzonHead posted...

How?

I really don't give a damn about where a game is made, and no one should, as long as it's good, but Japan still dominates in most genres.

it dominates, because 90% of games are just conveyor crap. 100 CoD games. 50 Ac games. 10 GoW games. Pay me and I gonna make script for new AC every week.
#135NessaJ_TuNPosted 4/12/2013 9:17:47 AM
Kyrylo posted...
CrimzonHead posted...

How?

it dominates, because 90% of games are just conveyor crap. 100 CoD games. 50 Ac games. 10 GoW games. Pay me and I gonna make script for new AC every week.

Way to exaggerate, same thing can be said to 100 tales games, 100 generic JRPG with moe - moe inside, 100 pokemons, 100 rehashed fighting game, 100 boring turn based JRPG, 100 marios lol.

Western Dominates this gen = fact, don't believe me? there are more western games this generation that average around 90% on metacritic score compare to Japanese games, before someone said reviews are being paid, here is for you http://kotaku.com/metacritic-matters-how-review-scores-hurt-video-games-472462218

Publisher will not be stupid enough to pay reviews to give developers more royalty, also before you talking about Japanese games was treated unfairly by critics from west, that such a bull crap. Back in ps1 and ps2 era, there are more Japanese games received better score compare to western games, because simply they are better, but not this gen.

My point is there are better Western games this gen than Japanese games, but it doesn't mean anything came from Japan is bad, as a matter of fact games from PG and From Software's souls series are example that Japan can still make great games, but they are only handful of developers. Most of them doesn't really give a damn about quality anymore. Take this as criticism for Japanese game industry as whole, not to bashing them or whatever, because I know they still have the talents and this is coming from someone that grow up playing Japanese games.
#136NessaJ_TuNPosted 4/12/2013 10:00:26 AM
CrimzonHead posted...

How?

Japan dominates in most genres? lol no, except Fighting and hack and slash, West dominate most genres. TBS (XCom Enemy Unknown, Civilization), RTS (StarCraft 2), MMO(WoW, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars old republic), Racing(Forza, Criterion's games, Code master racing games like Grid and Dirt), Sports(obvious), Open World(Just Cause, GTA, RDR, Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, etc), FPS(obvious), TPS(obvious), games that give you freedom how you want to tackle each situation (Deus Ex, Dishonored, Hitman Absolution) Superhero sand box game like Batman Arkham, Infamous, MOBA(LoL, Dota 2), RPG or action Rpg or WRPG whatever you called it (Fallout series, Oblivion, The Witcher), Narrative the game (heavy rain, Walking dead The game, Journey, etc), Puzzle (Portal series, Braid, Trine, Puzzle Quest, Etc), 2d Platforming(LBP series, Rayman origins and many indie games out there covered this, like Mark of Ninja, Ms Splosion Man, Monkey island 2, Limbo, Fez, etc too many to mentions) tons of other indie games also notable like Super Meat Boy, bastion, MineCraft, Terraria, if you really following games this gen, Japan only dominate few of them.

Ofcourse if you like only anything came from Japan and dismissed the entire games made by west developers, you will still think Japan dominated most genres, but the truth is far from that and I know based on sales and critic scores, most people would agree with me that West is pretty much dominated this gen, but not in this board though, this board is minority after all lol.

I have posted this before and I know some people gonna be mad, so I am done with this thread, let we be agree and disagree. peace out.
#137Edward_R_MurrowPosted 4/12/2013 12:43:07 PM(edited)
Orange00 posted...
Turn-based battle systems were used back in the day because it made possible more complicated strategies, moves and use of multiple characters. These days technology is already on the level that would enable all this in real time, as many W-RPGs have been doing for some time now.

Epic real time action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOFt54jVA2U

Truly amazing gameplay. I couldn't find a video of the MAJESTIC high dragon fight from Origins, in which Alistair went through the same grab animation loop while three mages/rangers alternated healing and picking away at it from ranged for 30 minutes.

Nor could I find a video of the AMAZING set pieces in Bethesda's RPGs where enormous sieges are represented by nine stiffly-animated guards going toe-to-toe with five little enemies and one big enemy, all the while the Gamebryo engine chugs along at sub-25 FPS.

But I think you get the picture.

Also technology hasn't advanced enough that we can have the same number of AI opponents in a given fight as you can in something like the old Goldbox games, Dark Sun, X-Com, Jagged Alliance, or the recent Knights of the Chalice.

And certain things are way better with turn-based actions, especially squad-tactical games where one shot can be the difference between life and death. I like Infinity Engine style real-time with pause, but would never want to try and control a sniper, knife-d00d, grenadier, and a SMG-guy trying to take out a hardened position all at once. Way too imprecise.
---
dfsdfsddfsdfsddf
#138sworderPosted 4/12/2013 1:02:59 PM
NostalgiaRules posted...
Most western games nowadays is just heavy swearing, drugs and sex.

You're exaggerating, those games are the minority.
#139SinExDeathPosted 4/13/2013 7:23:54 PM
Don't truly care where the game comes from as long as it's good and can grab my attention for more than 1 playthrough. My vote would go to Japanese games, though the genres I tend to play are usually dominated by JPN developers or western ones don't bother with the genre.

There's no denying that western games have REALLY picked up this gen. But as far as replayability and imaginitive games go, this gen has been a dissapointment from both sides.
---
Asketh Ky to Sol, "Heaven or Hell?" and Sol, being of Gear did say "Let's Rock."
Roman Cancels 1:14
#140NostalgiaRulesPosted 4/13/2013 9:10:23 PM
sworder posted...
NostalgiaRules posted...
Most western games nowadays is just heavy swearing, drugs and sex.

You're exaggerating, those games are the minority.

I'm not exaggerating. That's just what I see. When I go to the game section, 60% to 70% of the games seem to be rated M. Aside from that, there's so many shooting games out. It's getting kind of boring. My guess is, that's what appeals to both kids and adults nowadays. Not trying to be rude to you or anything, but that really does seem to be what's out nowadays. For me, the Japanese games provide the variety that I like.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.