DmC's quality as a standalone game

#1RukumouruPosted 4/18/2013 10:01:03 PM
Isn't some people's opinion on this game a bit extreme? (entitled to their opinion as they may be).

I mean, I've seen plenty of posts around these forums saying this game is absolute trash, and I honestly don't think it can objectively be seen as such a catastrophically bad standalone product.

Horrible Devil May Cry title? Yes. But only because it quite simply isn't really Devil May Cry in almost any way.

It's a solid action game that has the misfortune of having been shoehorned into a franchise it has little in common with, and marketed as a replacement to said franchise by deliberate trolling against the original established fanbase.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying you guys should just go out and buy it: None of the avobe changes the fact that a purchase of DmC is two or three nails in DMC's coffin, instead of just one if you stay away. Feel free to buy it if you enjoy it, but know what you're getting yourself into.

I'm just saying that, when talking about it, having a bit of perspective about the title's quality as a standalone product may not only be a healthy habit, but also help newcomers or people on the fence about DmC/DMC take your opinions seriously instead of just "bile, hate, trolling" or what have you.

Absolute abomination for the DMC name as it is, Edgy the Reboot's PC version gets a 7~8/10 for me due to solid combat, decent graphics, good performance, very good porting, decent replayability a promising modding scene and overall being one of the better stylish action games available for the platform.
#2KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 4/18/2013 10:04:01 PM
I've said on numerous occasions that on it's own, all things considered, DmC is about a 6/10 for me. Not horrible, just nothing that great. The very definition of mediocre. As a DMC title..... that's where it delves into "trash" territory.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#3syctheweilderPosted 4/18/2013 10:04:24 PM
For a game to stand on it's own merits, it needs to posses them.

DmC: Devil May Cry is a construct of mechanics and design philosophies wholly lifted from other sources, and is rightly taken to task for both it's clumsy execution and not forwarding any of it's lifted mechanics in any way..
#4akira_hisyamPosted 4/18/2013 10:05:02 PM
yes it solid and fun for people want easy,not challenging, a bit button mash but it still mediocre game,nothing more nothing less,there nothing to remember bout this game,easy forgotten game.
---
i wont let the last heaven honor die with it champion-war
#5docman864Posted 4/18/2013 10:06:03 PM
Rukumouru posted...
Isn't some people's opinion on this game a bit extreme? (entitled to their opinion as they may be).

I mean, I've seen plenty of posts around these forums saying this game is absolute trash, and I honestly don't think it can objectively be seen as such a catastrophically bad standalone product.

Horrible Devil May Cry title? Yes. But only because it quite simply isn't really Devil May Cry in almost any way.

It's a solid action game that has the misfortune of having been shoehorned into a franchise it has little in common with, and marketed as a replacement to said franchise by deliberate trolling against the original established fanbase.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying you guys should just go out and buy it: None of the avobe changes the fact that a purchase of DmC is two or three nails in DMC's coffin, instead of just one if you stay away. Feel free to buy it if you enjoy it, but know what you're getting yourself into.

I'm just saying that, when talking about it, having a bit of perspective about the title's quality as a standalone product may not only be a healthy habit, but also help newcomers or people on the fence about DmC/DMC take your opinions seriously instead of just "bile, hate, trolling" or what have you.

Absolute abomination for the DMC name as it is, Edgy the Reboot's PC version gets a 7~8/10 for me due to solid combat, decent graphics, good performance, very good porting, decent replayability a promising modding scene and overall being one of the better stylish action games available for the platform.

we simply can't deny that this game is titled DmC after all. Treating it as standalone title is kinda almost impossible when DmC is trying to be DMC in some respects.
---
if you don't play this game, you ARE part of the f***ing problem.
#6Rukumouru(Topic Creator)Posted 4/18/2013 10:10:41 PM
I would definitely agree with a 6/10 for the console versions.

No mods, input lag, unbearably slow gameplay and 30 fps ain't helping a game that's just "pretty good" otherwise. Combined, they definitely turn it into a "meh" experience.
#7FireMage7777Posted 4/18/2013 10:11:00 PM
Rukumouru posted...

To objectively judge it, it MUST also be looked at as a Devil May Cry game
---
I love my fans...too bad most of them aren't the good kind :D
Like nerdy talk? http://w11.zetaboards.com/Keepers_Of_The_Chair/index/
#8StrelokPosted 4/18/2013 10:11:20 PM
It's a 6/10 at best.

As a DMC game it easily drops into 3/10 territory.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#9ZeroX91Posted 4/18/2013 10:14:47 PM
I've said on numerous occasions that on it's own, all things considered, DmC is about a 6/10 for me. Not horrible, just nothing that great. The very definition of mediocre. As a DMC title..... that's where it delves into "trash" territory.

---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJuLGBjjf6g
#10Dark_EpathyPosted 4/18/2013 10:23:08 PM
It's a 7-8/10 for me. Not sure which way I lean.
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead