DmC's quality as a standalone game

#21akira_hisyamPosted 4/18/2013 10:59:56 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
Dialgadude posted...
It's exactly what I imagined a reboot of Devil May Cry would be like and it gets my respect for it.

Not fit to be called the same as the other games in the series? Perhaps. But it's still really good for improving everything from the previous games sans combat.

It improves NOTHING. Story was written and carried out better in previous games, and DMC4 looked better in all aspects

and uncle dante sooooo BADASS!!
---
i wont let the last heaven honor die with it champion-war
#22produnerPosted 4/19/2013 1:25:24 AM(edited)
We've gone through this before. It is average really, and the combat in unbalanced. There is nothing solid about it.

The only reason that the combat is fun, is that it has DMC's core game mechanics or launching and combo system but the lack of balance, inaccurate hitboxes, infinite strings, physics engine and flow of the game , all of them ruined it and made the game average.

That is for combat, as for story and aesthetic, the game doesn't really standout, and it falls in short in some areas.

I know some people exaggerate, but keep in mind that few of them might have gone through some annoying and game breaking glitch, and other broken stuff in combat.

As a stand alone game, it is somewhere between 5-7/10.
Compared to DMC it is horse****.

Note: there are many other topics with similar thoughts about the game, and in my review of the demo, i've rated it as a standalone game, then compared it to DMC in a separate paragraph. My rating of the game dropped a bit as i went through more glitches in both the demo and the game, then things went worse when i started playing more on pc; the console version is......
#23ScreamingMidgetPosted 4/19/2013 1:58:29 AM
FireMage7777 posted...
Dialgadude posted...
It's exactly what I imagined a reboot of Devil May Cry would be like and it gets my respect for it.

Not fit to be called the same as the other games in the series? Perhaps. But it's still really good for improving everything from the previous games sans combat.

It improves NOTHING. Story was written and carried out better in previous games, and DMC4 looked better in all aspects

Notice how he couldn't even say what actually "improved" and just used the cop-out "everything"?
#24Rukumouru(Topic Creator)Posted 4/19/2013 5:23:43 AM
Psychochild27 posted...

Barely better than average by your own admission with input lag and unbearably slow gameplay with a perceived value of only a third of the previous game in the series to you is a solid game? I hate to see what you consider crap then.

Considering Devil May Cry 3 and 4 are my favorite action games of absolutely all time, I don't think "a third of their value" is "barely better than average".

I do consider the console version "barely better than average" though. My main opinion of the game stems from the PC version, which suffers neither input lag nor unbearably slow gameplay (thanks to the Turbo Mod), which are the problems that mostly bring the console version to "barely avobe average" level.

The PC version is an 8/10 title for me.
#25PunkMcThrustPosted 4/19/2013 6:48:42 AM
Objectively it's an alright game.

But subjectively, after the way the press treated the game and the fanbase, I refuse to think of this game as anything but garbage. This game really is everything wrong with the whole video game industry put on display in a nice package.

Disgusting press coverage insulting gamers and calling them entitled, DLC, casualizing everything to grab a new audience. This game's existence is an insult to video gaming in general. It's not really the game itself I have the problem with but what it represents for the industry.
---
Armstrong for President
#26prince_nagashPosted 4/19/2013 7:34:18 AM
Some of these facts might be off the mark, but these videos wrap the game's issues pretty nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eip8vU_RRB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkX65h6ORcM
#27TheCyborgNinjaPosted 4/19/2013 8:16:15 AM
As a DMC game, it's so easy to see the flaws. The irony being that the DMC franchise isn't really that great to begin with (IMO). Everyone hates the second one, and most people didn't like the fourth either. If you include DmC, that means 2/5 games are actually good.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#28PunkMcThrustPosted 4/19/2013 8:54:25 AM
TheCyborgNinja posted...
As a DMC game, it's so easy to see the flaws. The irony being that the DMC franchise isn't really that great to begin with (IMO). Everyone hates the second one, and most people didn't like the fourth either. If you include DmC, that means 2/5 games are actually good.

Yes, the franchise that has DMC3, the best action game ever made, isn't a great franchise.

And DMC4 has the deepest combat of any action game ever made. It was only a step down when it came to content, story, and replay value.
---
Armstrong for President
#295hadowsPosted 4/19/2013 9:00:45 AM
PunkMcThrust posted...
TheCyborgNinja posted...

Yes, the franchise that has DMC3, the best action game ever made, isn't a great franchise.

And DMC4 has the deepest combat of any action game ever made. It was only a step down when it came to content, story, and replay value.

Release a dlc with more weapons to Nero and maybe a few extra bosses and a decent ending and the game is perfect.

Release a dlc with lock-on, no color coded enemies, higher damage on the scythe and some weapons, nerf aquilla/demon dodge/ that axe, get rid of the platforming or at least make it entertaining, add at least 2 levels of difficulty higher than the current DMD(HoH doesn't count).

And DmC will be "plain good".
---
Ill add something here later....
#30largerockPosted 4/19/2013 9:08:03 AM
Standalone if I was forced to play it, I'd give it a 4/10. Gameplay looks severely flawed and I need not comment on the story, music whatnot.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.