DmC's quality as a standalone game

#41syctheweilderPosted 4/20/2013 6:29:33 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
NeoTStyle posted...
For a game to stand on it's own merits, it needs to posses them.

DmC: Devil May Cry is a construct of mechanics and design philosophies wholly lifted from other sources, and is rightly taken to task for both it's clumsy execution and not forwarding any of it's lifted mechanics in any way..

Why does every ignore this? It's the ultimate truth.

Missed it the first time and it absolutely is.

Demon dodges are a crappy take on Witch Dodge which outright broke mission requirements in the original build, the "Expanded" snatch functionality just brings it up to par with Bayonetta's whip (Even GoW:A's Kratos makes it his own in what I saw from the GoW:A demo despite not straying too far from the Devil Bringer to begin with), the stances are all Heavenly Sword, the weapons subscribe to the tired and cliched "POWER WEAPONS ARE BORING AND SLOW AND LIMITED, AGILE WEAPONS ARE RAD AND AWESOME BUT SUPER WEAK" philosophy, parry is a holdover from older DMC games applied on a larger scale, and just about all of the interesting moves and mechanics any weapon exhibits in this game are ripped whole cloth from DMC4 and/or Darksiders.

Let's not forget, ophion requires the player to hold down a trigger before it can be used; different one depending on whether the player wants to pull or be pulled, takes up the firearms button, cannot be aimed at a specific target, and has no busters.

To trade all that for the choice between pulling enemies to the player or pulling the player to the enemy (when before the two were prioritized automatically depending on the size of the enemy) is counter intuitive, and makes a simple mechanic needlessly convoluted.

So much for "streamlining" huh?

Also what moves from Darksiders? i never bought Chaoseater's upgrades and was under the impression that only Dante and Nero's movesets were pillaged.
#42Psychochild27Posted 4/20/2013 7:04:59 AM(edited)
syctheweilder posted...

Let's not forget, ophion requires the player to hold down a trigger before it can be used; different one depending on whether the player wants to pull or be pulled, takes up the firearms button, cannot be aimed at a specific target, and has no busters.

To trade all that for the choice between pulling enemies to the player or pulling the player to the enemy (when before the two were prioritized automatically depending on the size of the enemy) is counter intuitive, and makes a simple mechanic needlessly convoluted.

So much for "streamlining" huh?

What's especially baffling is that the Gun Special inputs don't translate cleanly between stances either for no reason - Yes I know that you can enemy step off enemies you pull, but there's such a generous window to input the jump that it's a baffling design choice to omit gun specials in different stances especially when the design of one of your guns is to allow the user to seamlessly detonate sticky bombs mid-combo.

Also what moves from Darksiders? i never bought Chaoseater's upgrades and was under the impression that only Dante and Nero's movesets were pillaged.

Had a brain fart and thought that the Hell Razor (Stinger variant) of War's scythe was a dead ringer for Streak until I remembered just now that War threw the scythe in front of him in a ghetto round trip fashion and dashed behind it which, y'know, is pretty cool.

No, Osiris' Streak's just Nero's Ex-Act 1 Streak without knockback.

Thinking about it some more, the ONLY innovation DmC offers is one-point branching weapon combos across multiple weapons. That's it. Even DMC2 gets credit for introducing the core concepts of styles and firearm real time weapon switching, DMC3 fully realizes both styles and real time weapon switching along with jump cancels, and DMC4 brings all of Nero's gameplay elements (Devil Bringer, Exceed) with Dante's real-time style switching.

DmC lets you start a ground combo at one point and finish it with another single weapon. Whoopee.
#43A_Nonny_MoosePosted 4/20/2013 8:50:58 AM
Judged on it's own, the negatives far outweigh the positives. It's still a mess.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#44StrelokPosted 4/20/2013 10:27:07 AM
The aerial combo with Osiris, animationwise, is almost a direct lift from Wars aerial combo with the scythe.
That got lifted from Darksiders.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg