Would you have liked this game if it wasnt called DmC?

#31KuzuryuSubaruPosted 4/21/2013 4:16:41 AM
I would have watched the trailers, and avoided the game like the plague anyway. Excluding terrible characters, there's still the terrible dialogue, edgy storyline, sniper abortion, and all sorts of other stuff like Donte's unnecessary swearing and random violence.

I would probably see it as a God of War rip off done by people who don't know how to write a decent story or character.
---
Waiting for God Eater 2, FF Type-0 English release, Gundam Extreme VS for Vita, Watch Dogs
#32NostalgiaRulesPosted 4/21/2013 4:19:16 AM
FrostDancer289 posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...
DuuuDe14 posted...
I never would have noticed it.

I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to DmC either if it wasn't attached to the original DMC franchise.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#33_Uwye_Posted 4/21/2013 4:23:47 AM
Yuber255 posted...
During development did not one mate think to mention to another mate "Hey mate since Dante's no longer human and the whole point of the name Devil May Cry was that Dante can cry because of his human side why is this even named DmC at all mate?"

Now that you mention it...there is anything in-game that justifies the title?
#34zfair89Posted 4/21/2013 4:28:10 AM
Gen2000 posted...
If it wasn't called DmC it would probably be in the forgotten pile with Blades of Time, NeverDead and the like.

This kind of denial is absurd. Whatever its shortcomings as a Devil May Cry game DmC is still pretty damn good. Might just be the best western take on the genre I've ever played. This is why people don't take the fans seriously. It's one thing to dispute DmC's merit as a DMC title but to lump it with some of the worst releases in recent memory is stupid.
#35A_Nonny_MoosePosted 4/21/2013 4:57:40 AM
I've played and somewhat liked Ninja Theory's other games, and I liked Blades of Time too, so probably.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#36Psychochild27Posted 4/21/2013 5:27:51 AM(edited)
_Uwye_ posted...
Yuber255 posted...
During development did not one mate think to mention to another mate "Hey mate since Dante's no longer human and the whole point of the name Devil May Cry was that Dante can cry because of his human side why is this even named DmC at all mate?"

Now that you mention it...there is anything in-game that justifies the title?

There's a guy named Dante with a brother named Vergil going up against a thing named Mundus.

So no.

Let's just rearrange the characters and call it McD, and set the game at a fast food joint to illustrate real world youths in real world situations.

You say that in jest but... well, you already have a level where soda spills sap your health when you stand in it, Poison and Lillith can turn into *****y managers with so little effort, the main character is an immature, juvenile punk with the personality of a shoelace who will never get anywhere in life that is already living in a trailer to make ends meet and regularly stares into space for minutes on end without doing anything in a desperate attempt to escape from the brain-gouging tedium that is his existence and you could replace the Bob Barbas in the Bob Barbas fight with ANYTHING and not lose anything for it. You could make him a grill that when you smack it after knocking down the barriers flips the burgers while getting called away every few minutes for dehumanizing performance reviews from your superiors....

Oh God, Mundus could be that dickish regional restaurant manager and Vergil is that slacker who never does ANY GOD DAMNED THING making you do all the work around there while he dicks around in the background who uses Dante to overthrow Mundus so that Vergil can become the regional restaurant manager and rule the Mickey Ds with an iron fist and Kat can easily EASILY be that Wicca girl that gives Dante rides to work who operates the register that gets bored easily and constantly keeps wandering away from her station to huff paint when she's not dropping mixed signals as she poorly flirts with Dante while secretly pining for Vergil the entire time and helps them plot against the regional restaurant manager...

The scary thing is this can actually work with nearly no significant changes to the game's narrative.

Well, except for using an assault rifle on your manager's fetus. That **** wouldn't fly because it is ****ing stupid.

Whatever its shortcomings as a Devil May Cry game DmC is still pretty damn good. Might just be the best western take on the genre I've ever played.

That the general consensus from people who don't outright hate the game is that it's average even if you try to remove the game from the context of the rest of the franchise it clearly does not stand toe to toe with, being the best western take on the genre doesn't mean much when the bar's been set so low.
#37syctheweilderPosted 4/21/2013 5:35:19 AM
Daksiders has a hard lock on, and is therefore already better than DmC.

If DmC was the best take on western hack n slash(settin' the bar real high there, fellas.), then Darksiders II must be the best western 'stylish action' game ever made.

Let's step back a bit and think about that.
#38Gen2000Posted 4/21/2013 5:59:48 AM
zfair89 posted...
This kind of denial is absurd. Whatever its shortcomings as a Devil May Cry game DmC is still pretty damn good. Might just be the best western take on the genre I've ever played. This is why people don't take the fans seriously. It's one thing to dispute DmC's merit as a DMC title but to lump it with some of the worst releases in recent memory is stupid.

What's denial about it, a majority of the attention this game got is because is because it's tie in to the DMC name. Hell NT themselves even ran with it as one of its PR taglines, "One of the most talked about DMC games ever", to try to spin it in a positive light. It would be like calling Blades of Time BayoNeTTa.

As a game itself it didn't really bring nothing new to DMC series or even the action genre itself. At best it's just an average game. What's stupid is pretending this game would have gotten even half of the amount of attention otherwise since it did nothing spectacular gameplay wise. At least the previous forgotten games tried more for interesting gimmicks to set them apart even if they weren't successful in the end.
---
The Storm Is About To Rage.....
#39IamthekuzalolPosted 4/21/2013 6:02:05 AM
To be fair, if it wasn't called DmC, i wouldn't even touch it with a ten foot pole. I just don't like NT's game in particular.
#40_Uwye_Posted 4/21/2013 6:12:37 AM
zfair89 posted...
Gen2000 posted...
If it wasn't called DmC it would probably be in the forgotten pile with Blades of Time, NeverDead and the like.

Mentions of quality aside why do you think it wouldn't have been forgotten like those games if it had a different title? Wouldn't have it sold worse if it hadn't a recognizable title? Thus going in the forgotten pile with games like Blades of Time, NeverDead and the like?