Video game "journalism" and DmC: Devil May Cry

#11SiLVeR_420Posted 4/21/2013 3:23:08 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
5hadows posted...
Money.

I doubt it. Maybe some of the reviews were coerced (ie, Capcom threatened to not send review copies or news/interviews for games in the future) but not bought out entirely. Capcom seems to shy away from that sort of thing, I mean RE6 was supposed to be the biggest title they ever made and it got abysmal reviews. If ANY game were to have bought reviews it would be that one.

I think the game was given high marks just because POOR NINJA THEORY POOR ABUSED NINJA THEORY DON'T BULLY THEM YOU ENTITLED MEANIES THE GAME IS GOOD GET OVER THE HAIR

They don't need to buy off reviews for RE. Because as shown by ORC a Resident Evil game can sell on its name alone. Also since RE6 sold 4.8 million they don't care.
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#12Yuber255Posted 4/21/2013 3:23:29 PM
Remember reading a preview on Enslaved think it was in Game Informer.

It called them "The acclaimed AAA developer Ninja Theory" s*** almost made me spit out my fruitloops from laughter.

I had to go back and make sure this game wasn't being made by Team Ninja or something and they made a mistake.

I thought Heaven;y Sword was a piece of s*** even for a launch title and the only other game they had was some unknown looks like a Power Stone clone but crappier game for XBox. What had they seriously done to give them the title of "acclaimed AAA developer"?

I've played doujinshi games with both better gameplay and story than their crap so I dunno what the biz is with them but it seems like it's always been there.
---
Son of the Legendary Troll Knight Shatter
#13Psychochild27Posted 4/21/2013 3:38:44 PM(edited)
So... why the hell did they do this? Is it just sensationalism meant to drive up page hits? Did they feel sorry for the game that they considered the underdog or target of unwarranted hate? Is it because Ninja Theory is this sacred darling child developer that is loved by the press for some reason?

I'd say it's part Ninja Theory being this critical darling, part ignorance on the reviewers (Many of whom claim to have fallen off of the series after the first game and have no basis for where the series had really evolved since that point) and part the fact that this game is so easily accessible that these reviewers who don't dedicate hundreds of hours exploring the intricacies of combat in these games are riding high off the rush of finally being able to do all those "Amazing" aerial acrobatics the series is known for.

DmC's all about instant gratification and for those reviewers who never so much as figured out what the Hell Enemy Step was and why it's so expensive in DMC4, they can't see what's wrong with this game that has the DMC fanbase is so reviled by. Up to DmC, if you can launch dudes into the air and juggle them with bullets, that's "DMC ASS COMBOZ" as far as they're aware.

TL;DR - Gaming journalists are professional, educated casuals.
#14syctheweilderPosted 4/21/2013 4:13:17 PM(edited)
Considering the large portion of critics' dismissive attitude towards Devil May Cry and their utter misunderstanding of it, I'd say it's less to do with it's legitimacy as a successor and more to do with their misguided infatuation with their idea of "Ninja Theory, the independent AAA developer".

I mean that's every critic's dream right? A small underdog studio that can still roll with the big boys without having to answer to some fatcat exec compromising their artistic vision.

It's such a lovely idea really, so lovely that they are quite willing to simply ignore the reality that their golden boy just bites off more than he can chew and can never make the cut.

Not only has Ninja Theory yet to develop a game that's turned a profit, they have yet to develop a game that performs properly; though this is probably due in part to their insistence on clinging to the ill-fitting Unreal Engine 3 and their inability to properly optimize it, resulting in awful frame drops, input lag and screen tearing across all three of their flagship titles.

The first time they made this mistake it was forgivable; they were a fledgling studio, still learning the ropes, and indeed the world at large was still learning how to code for the playstation 3. But here we are again, at the end of the console's life cycle, and they still have the same problems they did years ago. This gives the impression that they either haven't learned from their mistakes, or don't care to.

The gameplay failed to impress in both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, the former being a transparent God of War knockoff, and the latter being a buggy, poorly constructed mess of an action platformer. And yet because they got Andy Serkis in a motion capture suit, the gaming media would have you believe that they're the next big developer.

DmC is a huge step up from these two titles, but the fact that it's an utterly inferior derivative of a title that's only five years old takes a lot of the wind out of it's sails. Couple that with the additional fact that Capcom had to step in and revamp the combat and you are left with the picture of a studio that is in way over it's head.

Really, the most baffling thing to me is not why they are thriving- indeed, a pretty render and well-shot cinematics are all you need to get a passing score in the current gaming generation- but why they even bother with the game design aspect at all when all of their effort is clearly devoted to the cutscenes. It's all anyone can reasonably praise about Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, apart from the writing of Alex Garland and Rhianna Pratchett.

If Ninja Theory should be doing anything at all, it's making fantasy action knock-offs of Quantic Dreams' movie-games. Admittedly, those experiences would be a great deal more enjoyable without the thick layer of pretentious pseudo-intellectual fluff, and a slew of well-choreographed action scenes in their place.

So that is Ninja theory, a lovely idea that falls apart under proper scrutiny, just like every single one of it's games.
#15PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 4:14:41 PM
syctheweilder posted...
Considering the large portion of critics' dismissive attitude towards Devil May Cry and their utter misunderstanding of it, I'd say it's less to do with it's legitimacy as a successor and more to do with their misguided infatuation with their idea of "Ninja Theory, the independent AAA developer".

I mean that's every critic's dream right? A small underdog studio that can still roll with the big boys without having to answer to some fatcat exec compromising their artistic vision.

It's such a lovely idea really, so lovely that they are quite willing to simply ignore the reality that their golden boy just bites off more than he can chew and can never make the cut.

Not only has Ninja Theory yet to develop a game that's turned a profit, they have yet to develop a game that performs properly; though this is probably due in part to their insistence on clinging to the ill-fitting Unreal Engine 3 and their inability to properly optimize it, resulting in awful frame drops, input lag and screen tearing across all three of their flagship titles.

The first time they made this mistake it was forgivable; they were a fledgling studio, still learning the ropes, and indeed the world at large was still learning how to code for the playstation 3. But here we are again, at the end of the console's life cycle, and they still have the same problems they did years ago. This gives the impression that they either haven't learned from their mistakes, or don't care to.

The gameplay failed to impress in both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, the former being a transparent God of War knockoff, and the latter being a buggy, poorly constructed mess of an action platformer. And yet because they got Andy Serkis in a motion capture suit, the gaming media would have you believe that they're the next big developer.

DmC is a huge step up from these two titles, but the fact that it's an utterly inferior derivative of a title that's only five years old takes a lot of the wind out of it's sails. Couple that with the additional fact that Capcom had to step in and revamp the combat and you are left with the picture of a studio that is in way over it's head.

Really, the most baffling thing to me is not why they are thriving- indeed, a pretty render and well-shot cinematics are all you need to get a passing score in the current gaming generation- but why they even bother with the game design aspect at all when all of their effort is clearly devoted to the cutscenes. It's all anyone can reasonably praise about Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, apart from the writing of Alex Garland and Rhianna Pratchett.

If Ninja Theory should be doing anything at all, it's making fantasy action knock-offs of Quantic Dreams' movie-games. Admittedly, those experiences would be a great deal more enjoyable without the thick layer of pretentious pseudo-intellectual fluff, and a slew of well-choreographed action scenes in their place.

So that is Ninja theory, a lovely idea that falls apart under proper scrutiny, just like every single one of it's games.

Just wow. You nailed the ball out of the park and into a basketball hoop 6 miles away. I'm saving this post for future generations.
---
Armstrong for President
#16RagueltheUFOPosted 4/21/2013 4:25:12 PM
http://www.play-mag.co.uk/opinion/enslaveds-poor-sales-its-all-your-fault/

Remember this everyone? This is the journalists that blamed fans for not buying Enslaved. They did it again for DmC and it's sad.

I like quality games that I can put 100 hours into and knowing the hours are worth it like Kid Icarus Uprising (that is an achievement BTW) and Disgaea 4 (I'm at 150+ hours and I'm still not bored.

A game like Enslave is just a quick play when you're bored and never tough again. Plus the game wasn't that good and DmC is a flight stimulator.

Ninja Theory are just a loser company in the end that are still around because of UK laws that allow them to make bad games but then stick around. I want them to go away now since they're not going to do anything for the PS4 generation. Besides, who wants to work with Ninja Theory again after this? Namco learned their lesson, Capcom doesn't want to work with them if they're not saying DmC wasn't a good game. Who else would be stupid but EA?
#17LordOfCinderPosted 4/21/2013 4:25:32 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
I'm honestly surprised that Ninja Theory hasn't been taken to court by a gay rights group after that Brokeback Mountain image.

They paid off all LGBT groups to shut them up, duh.
---
"And the original Mass Effect is absolutely an Xbox 360 exclusive, making Xbox 360 the only place to get the full Mass Effect experience."- Microsoft
#18demonfang178Posted 4/21/2013 5:53:45 PM
So... why the hell did they do this? Is it just sensationalism meant to drive up page hits?

Eyup. Page hits increase ad revenue, thus more money.

Ninja Theory are just a loser company in the end that are still around because of UK laws that allow them to make bad games but then stick around.

No seriously, where is the evidence of this?
#19smithkakarotPosted 4/21/2013 8:13:57 PM
I've said it before, but I think that these so-called "journalists" think that if they defend NT, they're sticking up for the "little guy".
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#20zhaoyun99Posted 4/21/2013 9:36:25 PM
As I said but I will SAY IT AGAIN. Today, "Professional" and "Game Journalist" are the two words that NEVER EXISTED IN THE SAME HEAVEN IN MY DICTIONARY. They are now a bunch of clowns in the game industry. Nothing they say was credible in my book. I trust only one that is myself. Reviewers from big site are joke. They are nothing but a bunch of MLB league Advertisers. They don't even have someone with the right genre to judge the game. With that, your credibility went down 90%.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun