Video game "journalism" and DmC: Devil May Cry

#51RagueltheUFOPosted 4/23/2013 7:06:34 PM
Jim Sterling is dead to me especially after he flat out LIED in his Kid Icarus Uprising review. And that was not a review. All he did was WHINE. The definition of a manchild that wants attention given how Uprising was getting good reviews from other websites even IGN (and we know how big jerks they are). And at the end of his review, he said the game would have gotten a 7/10 but he gave it a 5/10 because he wanted to piss everyone off.

It worked but that's the definition of being unprofessional if you don't even say anything about the game except whining about the controls that his big fat hands can't play. Didn't even get the facts right and he could have used a circle pro if he really didn't like the controls or he could have changed them on the menu screen instead of whining. He's so obnoxious.
#52Trailblazer34Posted 4/23/2013 7:49:13 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
syctheweilder posted...
Considering the large portion of critics' dismissive attitude towards Devil May Cry and their utter misunderstanding of it, I'd say it's less to do with it's legitimacy as a successor and more to do with their misguided infatuation with their idea of "Ninja Theory, the independent AAA developer".

I mean that's every critic's dream right? A small underdog studio that can still roll with the big boys without having to answer to some fatcat exec compromising their artistic vision.

It's such a lovely idea really, so lovely that they are quite willing to simply ignore the reality that their golden boy just bites off more than he can chew and can never make the cut.

Not only has Ninja Theory yet to develop a game that's turned a profit, they have yet to develop a game that performs properly; though this is probably due in part to their insistence on clinging to the ill-fitting Unreal Engine 3 and their inability to properly optimize it, resulting in awful frame drops, input lag and screen tearing across all three of their flagship titles.

The first time they made this mistake it was forgivable; they were a fledgling studio, still learning the ropes, and indeed the world at large was still learning how to code for the playstation 3. But here we are again, at the end of the console's life cycle, and they still have the same problems they did years ago. This gives the impression that they either haven't learned from their mistakes, or don't care to.

The gameplay failed to impress in both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, the former being a transparent God of War knockoff, and the latter being a buggy, poorly constructed mess of an action platformer. And yet because they got Andy Serkis in a motion capture suit, the gaming media would have you believe that they're the next big developer.

DmC is a huge step up from these two titles, but the fact that it's an utterly inferior derivative of a title that's only five years old takes a lot of the wind out of it's sails. Couple that with the additional fact that Capcom had to step in and revamp the combat and you are left with the picture of a studio that is in way over it's head.

Really, the most baffling thing to me is not why they are thriving- indeed, a pretty render and well-shot cinematics are all you need to get a passing score in the current gaming generation- but why they even bother with the game design aspect at all when all of their effort is clearly devoted to the cutscenes. It's all anyone can reasonably praise about Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, apart from the writing of Alex Garland and Rhianna Pratchett.

If Ninja Theory should be doing anything at all, it's making fantasy action knock-offs of Quantic Dreams' movie-games. Admittedly, those experiences would be a great deal more enjoyable without the thick layer of pretentious pseudo-intellectual fluff, and a slew of well-choreographed action scenes in their place.

So that is Ninja theory, a lovely idea that falls apart under proper scrutiny, just like every single one of it's games.

Just wow. You nailed the ball out of the park and into a basketball hoop 6 miles away. I'm saving this post for future generations.

can I marry you
the truth has been spoken
#53StrelokPosted 4/24/2013 2:00:20 AM
xhominid posted...
As a H&S, a 6/10.
As a DMC game? a 3/10.
I adjusted my grades since ages now.

And I still say that's too much...I would say it's 4/10 - 5/10 Tops.

Saying it's an above average H&S because it still got simple combos that turn flashy = No Lock On that even the most bare basic H&S game does, Enemies that even worse than the typical mook in Dynasty Warriors, Enemies that completely defeat the purpose of using different weapons for different results, and one of the worst button layouts I've played in an H&S yet(seriously, you virtually mapped a grapple as holding a button AND pressing 2 other buttons to do what you need...DMC4 did the same things with ONE button) and a few other things along with what you mentioned means I CANNOT take a 6/10 and believe that's what it needs...

I believe it's a medicore H&S, through and through.

In my book, a 6/10 qualifies as the very epitome of mediocre.
A 5/10 means it is getting unplayable.
When we get to 4/10 territory, we have outright failing standards. It is very hard for me to give a 4/10 or lower although a few games have hit that on my list, like Big Rigs, Amsterdoom, Painkiller Resurrection (Seriously, way to murder the franchise guys) and "Shadowrun" (while as a standalone shooter it'd get a 5.5/10 (lack of maps and content drag the entire thing down, plus heaps of bugs at release, it pisses on the Shadowrun franchise and gets a whooping 2 points out of 10, and those 2 points they should count themselves lucky on). Spore is one of these 5.5 games as well, where I had fun with it, but DAMN does the game suck gigantic monkeyballs. The editor really is the only fun part on that game. EA screwing over Wrights game. Not cool.

I could go on, but a popular game that I am rating low is F.E.A.R. 2. It is the only well received game by most fans that I'm blamming at 6/10, barely average and that is due to the ending. The game itself works fine, little bugs but that ending...
Oooh boy...
Did I mention that I'm a (nonsexual) rape victim and that that ending made me throw up a little in my mouth? That was, without a doubt, the worst ending I ever saw, including the ME3 ending, or even that horrid sniper game ending where the game just... stops...
F*** that game. That ending absolutely ruined the entire game and due to the horrid nature of that I still feel I'm too generous with a 6/10, but the game f***ing works with little to no glitches, so I can't rank it lower.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#54Malus_X6Posted 4/24/2013 9:00:51 PM
I agree with the OP to an extent. Everyone was so condescending about DmC. The whole "you'll like it when you try it, so shut up" attitude was the worst possible way to handle this. Even if something is a great idea or product, making everyone defensively oppose it becomes an impossible tide to turn.

Yep.

There's the old saying about catching more flies with honey than vinegar, and you could pickle a full grown blue whale with how sour those guys were being. I'm not saying the "anti" side smells of roses either, but sheesh. Would it have killed NT or the gaming "journalists" to actually try to sell the game on its merits instead of going with the alarmingly hostile "LOL, Haterz!" schtick they kept up for two years? It's one thing to see it from some random bozo on the internet, but these were so called "professionals".

Uh... What merits? :P
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#55geekneck99Posted 4/25/2013 5:02:32 PM
I agree with the OP to an extent. Everyone was so condescending about DmC. The whole "you'll like it when you try it, so shut up" attitude was the worst possible way to handle this. Even if something is a great idea or product, making everyone defensively oppose it becomes an impossible tide to turn.

Yep.

There's the old saying about catching more flies with honey than vinegar, and you could pickle a full grown blue whale with how sour those guys were being. I'm not saying the "anti" side smells of roses either, but sheesh. Would it have killed NT or the gaming "journalists" to actually try to sell the game on its merits instead of going with the alarmingly hostile "LOL, Haterz!" schtick they kept up for two years? It's one thing to see it from some random bozo on the internet, but these were so called "professionals".

Uh... What merits? :P

Touche, but that's a topic for another... topic. I'm just commenting on the sad state of the gaming press.
---
If you can read this,
You don't need glasses.
#56Malus_X6Posted 4/25/2013 6:42:41 PM
Touche, but that's a topic for another... topic. I'm just commenting on the sad state of the gaming press.

Okie doke.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#57zhaoyun99Posted 4/25/2013 10:05:26 PM
TriangleMasher posted...
zhaoyun99 posted...
TriangleMasher posted...
my ambition cannot be stopped

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, THE FLAME. SOMEBODY STOP THE FLAME."

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA, the mind shall vanquish the sword.

I am the only one worthy enough to walk the realm of ambition

I am the TRUE WARRIORS OF THE MYSTIC REALM.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#58chareyPosted 4/26/2013 10:09:57 AM
One of the big problems with game review is that it is NOT a 1-10 scale anymore, it is a 6-10 scale with anything below 6 being unplayable. That is why publisher complain when they get a 8/10 which should be a great score but it translates to a 3/5 in the eyes of the gamers because of how messed up it is.
---
I won't have it! I'm not having anyone talk about me in
the past tense! ~Squall Leonhart
#59PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 12:28:32 PM
RagueltheUFO posted...
Jim Sterling is dead to me especially after he flat out LIED in his Kid Icarus Uprising review. And that was not a review. All he did was WHINE. The definition of a manchild that wants attention given how Uprising was getting good reviews from other websites even IGN (and we know how big jerks they are). And at the end of his review, he said the game would have gotten a 7/10 but he gave it a 5/10 because he wanted to piss everyone off.

It worked but that's the definition of being unprofessional if you don't even say anything about the game except whining about the controls that his big fat hands can't play. Didn't even get the facts right and he could have used a circle pro if he really didn't like the controls or he could have changed them on the menu screen instead of whining. He's so obnoxious.

I hate Jim Sterling and his sensationalist writing, as well as his infamous "I review for an audience" Tweet, but maybe, JUST maybe, he gave the game a 5/10 because he despised half of the game and loved the other half like he said in his review?

I mean, I've read a lot of crap reviews in my time, but this one seemed honestly genuine. You can tell from his writing that he really wanted to like the game. He praises a lot about it, including the goofy story and characters which is weird coming from him.

But the ground controls are an issue. Personally, I use default controls for the air segments and switch movement to the buttons and aiming to the circle pad for the ground segments. And that works for me, but only on the more medium difficulties. I could never play on a high Intensity with that control scheme which sort of locks me away from part of the game. The ground controls are honestly bad. Really freaking bad. Like we needed to include a plastic stand to play these with bad.

And no, the Circle Pad Pro is not an option. You can move with the CPP but not aim with it, which is ridiculous because you can aim with the regular circle pad. Let alone if you're using a 3DS XL to play and the CPP is even less of an option.

Goddamn, I never thought I would be defending Jim Sterling in my entire life.

Oh and you know who else disliked Kid Icarus Uprising because of the controls? Mark Bussler, from Classic Game Room/Inecom Company, who is a widely beloved reviewer far less controversial than Sterling.
---
Armstrong for President
#60RukumouruPosted 4/26/2013 2:33:37 PM
I distinctly remember a LOT of previews claiming the game was being made by "Team ninja".

Vidyagaem Jernalizm.