Video game "journalism" and DmC: Devil May Cry

#61RagueltheUFOPosted 4/26/2013 6:09:19 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
RagueltheUFO posted...
Jim Sterling is dead to me especially after he flat out LIED in his Kid Icarus Uprising review. And that was not a review. All he did was WHINE. The definition of a manchild that wants attention given how Uprising was getting good reviews from other websites even IGN (and we know how big jerks they are). And at the end of his review, he said the game would have gotten a 7/10 but he gave it a 5/10 because he wanted to piss everyone off.

It worked but that's the definition of being unprofessional if you don't even say anything about the game except whining about the controls that his big fat hands can't play. Didn't even get the facts right and he could have used a circle pro if he really didn't like the controls or he could have changed them on the menu screen instead of whining. He's so obnoxious.

I hate Jim Sterling and his sensationalist writing, as well as his infamous "I review for an audience" Tweet, but maybe, JUST maybe, he gave the game a 5/10 because he despised half of the game and loved the other half like he said in his review?

I mean, I've read a lot of crap reviews in my time, but this one seemed honestly genuine. You can tell from his writing that he really wanted to like the game. He praises a lot about it, including the goofy story and characters which is weird coming from him.

But the ground controls are an issue. Personally, I use default controls for the air segments and switch movement to the buttons and aiming to the circle pad for the ground segments. And that works for me, but only on the more medium difficulties. I could never play on a high Intensity with that control scheme which sort of locks me away from part of the game. The ground controls are honestly bad. Really freaking bad. Like we needed to include a plastic stand to play these with bad.

And no, the Circle Pad Pro is not an option. You can move with the CPP but not aim with it, which is ridiculous because you can aim with the regular circle pad. Let alone if you're using a 3DS XL to play and the CPP is even less of an option.

Goddamn, I never thought I would be defending Jim Sterling in my entire life.

Oh and you know who else disliked Kid Icarus Uprising because of the controls? Mark Bussler, from Classic Game Room/Inecom Company, who is a widely beloved reviewer far less controversial than Sterling.

It's not genuine. That's him being an attention horse because he doesn't even talk about anything else but the controls. Let's dock off half the score because I don't know how to play the game correctly.

And this entire game is, "You don't like the controls?" Get better with them. Almost every person who complains about this game doesn't bother to get use to the control. They play it, they complain about their hand cramping (not like you're supposed to play for a long period of time and the game reminds you to take a break so not listening to the game is your fault) and then they say that the game sucks. The controls are easy to pick up and once you ACTUALLY adjust to the game then the cramping actually goes away except when you play for long periods of time which you shouldn't. Again, this is how you're able to tell if someone actually played the game all the way or only once or twice.

Have no idea who Mark Bussler is. First time hearing him.

So stop defending Sterling when he talks out of his big butt.
#62PunkMcThrust(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 6:15:50 AM
RagueltheUFO posted...

It's not genuine. That's him being an attention horse because he doesn't even talk about anything else but the controls. Let's dock off half the score because I don't know how to play the game correctly.

And this entire game is, "You don't like the controls?" Get better with them. Almost every person who complains about this game doesn't bother to get use to the control. They play it, they complain about their hand cramping (not like you're supposed to play for a long period of time and the game reminds you to take a break so not listening to the game is your fault) and then they say that the game sucks. The controls are easy to pick up and once you ACTUALLY adjust to the game then the cramping actually goes away except when you play for long periods of time which you shouldn't. Again, this is how you're able to tell if someone actually played the game all the way or only once or twice.

Have no idea who Mark Bussler is. First time hearing him.

So stop defending Sterling when he talks out of his big butt.

You realize the controls are how you actually, honestly PLAY the goddamn game right? If the controls are bad, the game is bad, period. That's just how it works The controls are THE most important aspect of a video game bar none.

If your control scheme is so intensive it causes cramps if you play for more than 15 minutes maybe you should rethink your control scheme. There's getting adjusted to controls and then there's fighting controls for more than 60% of the game.

And I can not stress this enough, the controls are how you honestly play the goddamn game. They're not some minor issue that you can just dock 1 or 2 points for.
---
Armstrong for President
#63StrelokPosted 4/28/2013 10:21:03 AM
I don't care enough about this pile of dung to train my hands to not being cramped.
When I am forced to hold down an L2 or R2 to have access to any weapon but Rebellion, the gameplay is flawed at its core, and I've said even before the demo hit that a toggle would have made more sense. After the demo dropped I reaffirmed it.
It is a terrible thing that I had more problems with the controls than the enemies on SoS mode. Unforgivable.
The horrid controls is essentially what breaks the game for me even if it had NOT the DMC name attached to it.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg