Why is it wrong

#1015hadowsPosted 4/26/2013 12:15:03 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
It's all pretty arbitrary, admittedly . . . Let's take the 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS, for instance.

Anybody sensible would tell you that 60 FPS is better than 30 FPS. There are no "ifs" or "buts" about it--more is better. There's no way to rationalize the other side--unless you wanted to say the environmental design is more important than the actual combat.

But wait! How could anyone think that? Well, it's possible. So, even if 60 FPS is technically better than 30 FPS, if someone personally doesn't find the aspect very important, the difference isn't going to hurt his or her opinion of the game.

There are other examples, but, eh. I don't really feel like talking about this. : P

No, this is exactly the kind of thinking that leads to most of the flame wars here.

60 is better, period. Go search for why it is if you care, if you don't just admit the game is inferior, you can like it or dislike it afterwards.
---
Ill add something here later....
#102produnerPosted 4/26/2013 12:18:38 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
It's all pretty arbitrary, admittedly . . . Let's take the 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS, for instance.

Anybody sensible would tell you that 60 FPS is better than 30 FPS. There are no "ifs" or "buts" about it--more is better. There's no way to rationalize the other side--unless you wanted to say the environmental design is more important than the actual combat.

But wait! How could anyone think that? Well, it's possible. So, even if 60 FPS is technically better than 30 FPS, if someone personally doesn't find the aspect very important, the difference isn't going to hurt his or her opinion of the game.

There are other examples, but, eh. I don't really feel like talking about this. : P

There is the fact that 60fps is displaying more info and processing faster, which gives every player better performance. Whether they admit, understand, notice...etc it is a fact that it is happening and its effects are crucial and extremely noticeable taking into account the game mechanics, flow and execution demands.

I personally didn't have such knowledge before when i was young, but i've noticed such things and understood them. It doesn't require some top player or a programmer to notice that the screen is choppy and the game is unresponsive.
#103Dark_EpathyPosted 4/26/2013 3:13:39 PM
60 is better, period. Go search for why it is if you care, if you don't just admit the game is inferior, you can like it or dislike it afterwards.

I don't think it's that simple, but keep in mind that I agree with you guys--60 is better.

My point is that if a person doesn't really care about that aspect of the game--if it doesn't take away from his or her enjoyment or experience--then he or she won't use it against the game. Perhaps that person is not necessarily looking for the same experience the more technical of you are.

Which is all to say different expectations and standards affect whether or not someone likes or dislikes something or even perceives it as being "good" or "bad."
---
"We are the greater good." -- Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
#104Xtreme65Posted 4/26/2013 3:29:54 PM
Maybe its because im not as tech savvy as some of the people here seem to be. But other than visual quality I dont really see how 30fps effects the gameplay. I find the controls just as responsive as other HnS games. But regardless it still is inferior to 60fps no matter how you look at it.
---
When coincidence is so convenient, I prefer to call it fate.
#1055hadowsPosted 4/26/2013 5:05:53 PM
Xtreme65 posted...
Maybe its because im not as tech savvy as some of the people here seem to be. But other than visual quality I dont really see how 30fps effects the gameplay. I find the controls just as responsive as other HnS games. But regardless it still is inferior to 60fps no matter how you look at it.

Play lord of shadows, it runs at 20 fps you'll notice the difference..
---
Ill add something here later....
#106Pesmerga255Posted 4/26/2013 5:52:03 PM
Xtreme65 posted...

>DmC
>Responsive controls

Pick one.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#107StrelokPosted 4/26/2013 6:00:09 PM
You will notice the difference.
Especially when we talk about frames where a player is invulnerable (like dodges and parries) or simply how smooth an animation looks.

Long story short: It simply doesn't look as smooth and it is trivializing things like jumpcancel, parrying and perfect dodges. In addition it IS causing an effec tot how the game plays, because of having just half the FPS available, things like turning either look awkward, or go slower.
In DmCs case, it's both.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#108LordKaizerPosted 4/27/2013 8:59:00 AM
Pesmerga255 posted...
Xtreme65 posted...

>DmC
>Responsive controls

Pick one.

i'll go with "one"
---
I'll always sit on my royal chair next to dante's chair forever.
#109produnerPosted 4/27/2013 9:52:35 AM
Xtreme65 posted...

Fact: 30fps has a theoretical input lag of 100ms, which is noticeable. It boils down to the person if he wants to admit or actually understands things that can be related to the input lag.

People can notice that and terms such as jerky, unresponsive, clunky, choppy...etc are all related to frame rate and input lag. It gets much more noticeable when you play something fast and precise.

Hell, even shooters and racers can easily be negatively affected, and i remember people complaining about some games with low performance, where shooting and pointing were clunky and laggy, and as for racers, it is easily noticeable when turning and braking in precise games and simulators; hence GT5 running at 60fps.

As for fighting games and DMC, last frame inputs, links, just frame moves, reactions, invincibility frames..etc in other words, too sensitive and any player's performance will be affected whether he noticed that or not. I remember people complaining about DMC1 on pal, which was locked at 50fps; 10 frames and people found it clunky.

It doesn't require a technician to notice it.
#110darkslayer001Posted 4/27/2013 11:19:17 AM
Xtreme65 posted...

its not about being a tech savvy or anything. When you play HnS for a long time you get to understand the difference. I for one didnt care about frames until i started playing games outside of DMC like God of war and other 30fps HnS games. It is considerable slower and it takes out the fun for me.