Done with this game. Impressions topic.

#1Edward_R_MurrowPosted 4/24/2013 9:18:49 PM
Finished up the game on NEFLOOM and played a few missions into SUN OF SPORDO difficulty and I'm thinking this game is on it's way back to GameFly posthaste. Here's some assorted impressions.

-Story/writing is pretty much garbage. Most of the dialogue is either exposition or tin-eared drek littered with poorly delivered profanity. The actual plot leaves a lot to be desired with a lot of holes and some characters acting with no real given motivation. Donte's voice actor doesn't seem to care...at all, which is a bad thing when you're voicing the main character.

-Level aesthetics are a bit varied. Some levels look decent, but the rest are just "floating platforms lololol" or a series of corridors and 100X100 rooms that look like some godawful dungeon master's first attempt at making a dungeon. The club level was pretty creative as was the pier locale. Everything else was rather boring and unimaginative, but slathered in graphics effects because UNREAL ENGINE YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

-The sound was pretty bad. Enemy audio cues all sounded like they came from a stock sound bank, especially the Rage's growl. I kept waiting for the Wilhelm Scream. Music was pretty terrible. It made "Taste the Blood" sound good, though the WUBWUBWUB did kind of work in the club level.

-Characters looked okay, I guess, but the enemy designs were pretty terrible. Humanoid black goo, a couple generic flying enemies, big fat armored guys, blue chicks in two-piece swim suits, and those quadruped reptile things from Darksiders. Way too generic a cast.

-The core gameplay was passable. The game certainly has it's moments, unfortunately they are few and far between. For the most part, you fight boring enemies, with a boring moveset, and less-than-responsive controls. Any fun that could be had doing combos/strings is pretty much deep-sixed by the unresponsiveness. "Oh, you just changed to demon stance and want to do Drop immediately? Sorry, here's Helm Breaker instead." "You wanted to demon pull that Demonochorus rip-off? Nah, whiff on this Frost Knight instead." Frustrating.

-Why was there so much "platforming" in this game? It was far too underdeveloped to take the huge role it had. For that matter, what was the point of all those sequences where you follow Kat for 5 minutes, or all the pointlessly long corridors filled with nothing? This is an action game, we don't want this stuff.

-What was the point of Lost Souls and keys for Secret Missions besides to add tedium? I really hated that there was tons of stuff that you absolutely could not get on your first playthrough; stuff that counted towards your ranking. I'd hate to try going for a fresh-Donte rank run.

-People weren't kidding when they said higher difficulties were bad. Color-coded enemies, Tyrants/Butchers/Witches everywhere. Jeez. Not fun.

Might write up a full review. Dunno. We'll see.
---
dfsdfsddfsdfsddf
#2produnerPosted 4/24/2013 10:25:50 PM(edited)
Good work mate! I agree with most of the meaty points that you've made.
Make a hilarious and tastefully done review.

If you want to have fun with the dumbed down combat, try doing charge shot cancels, spacing with angel boost, angel dodge and try to add the previous two in combos and juggles. P.S try glide rave.

^ this makes up a little bit or a good substitute for the boring campaign and the horrible puzzles/waves/ platforming/bosses in the game.
#3zhaoyun99Posted 4/24/2013 10:49:08 PM
TBH, Taste the Blood was million yrs better than any DmC songs had to offer. Listen to Taste the Blood and read its lyrics explain how you kick devil's ass and how you taunt them. This game was like screaming "ARGGGGGGGGGG, SO EDGYYYYYYYYY that was GARBAGEEEEEEEEEEEE."
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#4PhaildPosted 4/24/2013 10:51:34 PM
Listen to Taste the Blood

Why would I subject my ears to that atrocity?
---
Current rank: Cpl. / Exp. required for promotion: 7 days
Let's dance.
#5KyryloPosted 4/24/2013 11:37:25 PM
*thumbs up* for review.
#6StrelokPosted 4/25/2013 12:55:32 AM
Phaild posted...
Listen to Taste the Blood

Why would I subject my ears to that atrocity?

Because it's infinitely better than the trash in this game.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haiguyz.jpg
#7syctheweilderPosted 4/25/2013 1:34:02 AM
it's all a matter of perspective.

I mean after a round of wubstep, even some metalcore might sound good to me.
#8Ether101Posted 4/25/2013 4:44:37 AM
So, whait, you're the one that got DmC before me? It's because of you that I finally took it out of my Que.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#9Psychochild27Posted 4/25/2013 5:44:12 AM(edited)
-Why was there so much "platforming" in this game? It was far too underdeveloped to take the huge role it had.

Padding. If you cut out the cutscenes and take into consideration that Missions 6, 10, 14, 19 and 20 are strictly boss missions (With missions 3 and 15 being effectively "Dick around in this room and you're done!" and mission 12 being long, unskippable tedium followed by enemy waves in a single room), DmC doesn't have that much content. My first playthrough took five and a half hours and that was only because I watched the cutscenes in the second half of the game.

If it weren't for the slow, unskippable, tedious platforming segments constantly littered through levels for cheap filler and to create the illusion that DmC's levels were bigger than they actually were, it'd have been the shortest DMC game in the series. Hell, just imagine how long Furnace of Souls would be if they didn't all but force you to park your ass on every platform for fifteen seconds so you could slowly snatch your way to the next platform.

/it's funny - For how much people love to harp on previous DMC games for backtracking, DmC only has about 12 real missions.

For that matter, what was the point of all those sequences where you follow Kat for 5 minutes, or all the pointlessly long corridors filled with nothing? This is an action game, we don't want this stuff.

To reinforce the narrative that Kat is a underdeveloped, boring, mundane character, every single instance where you directly interact with Kat has to be underdeveloped, boring, mundane scenarios.

Regarding corridors filled with nothing, see my first point.

-What was the point of Lost Souls and keys for Secret Missions besides to add tedium? I really hated that there was tons of stuff that you absolutely could not get on your first playthrough; stuff that counted towards your ranking. I'd hate to try going for a fresh-Donte rank run.

To force "Replay Value" or whatever the kids go on about these days. If it weren't for collectibles, the game would've been insanely easy to SSS rank on the first playthrough.
#10QCTeamkillPosted 4/25/2013 6:10:42 AM
Kyrylo posted...
*thumbs up* for review.

Best post of the day. I almost died at review.

Finished up the game on NEFLOOM and played a few missions into SUN OF SPORDO

I know! right?

It's almost as hilarious as reading you all talk trash about gaming journalism.