Am I the only one who thought DMC3 didn't have good bosses?

#11RunothPosted 4/25/2013 6:18:32 PM
PunkMcThrust posted...
Geryon is just pure crap.

Glad I'm not alone on this one.
#12Malus_X6Posted 4/25/2013 6:37:05 PM
It's just you, TC.

- Cerberus was awesome (albeit kinda hard)
- Agni and Rudra were fun to fight
- Netting assloads of Red Orbs from Leviathan's guts was a nice plus

And yes, Vergil was f***in' awesome. That goes without saying.
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#13SBK91Posted 4/25/2013 7:53:52 PM
A lot of DMC3 bosses are pretty meh when compared to the genre's best.

What are you thinking of particularly? Not saying there aren't meh (or bad) bosses in DMC3 (there are), but what other Action games have much better bosses? DMC1 is the only title that has consistantly great bosses, but the better bosses from DMC3 compare favorably. MGR's are well done, but could be more aggressive on higher difficulties (outside the DLC). The only boss that isn't boring/a pushover in Bayonetta is Rodin. NGB's are pretty good, but I wouldn't call them considerably better (Alma). NG2's restrict your moveset too much. I'll get to DMC4 in a moment.

Both are built in such a way as to severely discourage any sort of melee offensive...though I doubt this design was intentional.

I must disagree, though note I haven't done SS runs. The easiest way to defeat Gigapede is deflecting its orbs, and the most brainless way to do that is jump on its head mashing melee with Quicksilver A&R. He's one of the worse bosses, but he doesn't really discourage melee (outside SSing as Vergil).

I've always found Cerberus to be one of the better bosses. It's a fight that encourages ranged antics while still leaving melee as a risky but extremely powerful option. Air Slash/Aerial Cross/Hammer, extended Tempest, Royalguard, and Quicksilver devastate him, not to mention the Vergil loop is built on melee. His ice regenerates fast but can be stripped off just as quick with Nevan, the shotgun, E&I, etc. On top of this, he's a well made boss with a variety of attacks and good AI. The worst part of the fight is the sweetspot trivializes it.

The second one is pretty widespread. Only Beowulf, A&R, Lady, and (to a degree) Nevan don't suffer from this problem.

I would add Leviathan Heart Core, Cerberus and Vergil to that list. You can beat on LHC with Tempest, charged Gunslinger and aerial attacks during its sweeping eye beams, or build up Rage. Cerberus doesn't really have downtime outside the brief "You're not human", and as you mentioned you can bust Vergil's Spiral Swords. Doppelganger is somewhat notable for being completely loopable.

To damage most bosses you basically have to go through some sort of hoops in order to actually damage their health bar besides just hitting them with your attacks.

Thing is, without shields or bloated HP, things tend to die extremely quickly. You have large, jump cancellable hitboxes with well defined recovery periods, and it turns into DMC4 where everything is DRI'ed/JCed to death in seconds with very little skill required. And on top of being always vulnerable, DMC4 bosses also had downtimes where they sat still and let you pound the crap out of them.

Just compare Vergil 3 to Angelo Credo to see where DMC3 bosses come up short against some of the best in the genre.

Vergil has a big advantage over Credo: he's much harder. You can catch Credo out of almost every attack safely and his offensives aren't nearly as overwhelming. Launch->air hits->Buster until stunned, then Buster again is hardly more exciting then Vergil's 13 hit count.

This is a problem with most of DMC4s bosses; they can be blitzed relatively easily without much skill. As a result, you don't have to pay nearly as much attention to them as DMC3's.

Vergil has long periods of downtime where all you can do is dodge, and dodging is none too difficult.

Outside Ultimate Judgement Cut, there's never a time when you can't attack for some sort of reward, so long as you're careful. His swords can be destroyed with KA/Nevan/Spiral and he can be knocked out of DT with Quicksilver. You can even attack him during Infinite Helmbreakers.
#14zhaoyun99Posted 4/25/2013 9:57:41 PM
Somebody said doppelganger was crap never even use Nevan to fight him. That makes that fight was so ROFL considering what he had done to you in the previous time I fought him w/o Nevan.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#15SpecterVonBarenPosted 4/25/2013 10:08:26 PM
SBK91 posted...
A lot of DMC3 bosses are pretty meh when compared to the genre's best.

What are you thinking of particularly? Not saying there aren't meh (or bad) bosses in DMC3 (there are), but what other Action games have much better bosses? DMC1 is the only title that has consistantly great bosses, but the better bosses from DMC3 compare favorably. MGR's are well done, but could be more aggressive on higher difficulties (outside the DLC). The only boss that isn't boring/a pushover in Bayonetta is Rodin. NGB's are pretty good, but I wouldn't call them considerably better (Alma). NG2's restrict your moveset too much. I'll get to DMC4 in a moment.

Both are built in such a way as to severely discourage any sort of melee offensive...though I doubt this design was intentional.

I must disagree, though note I haven't done SS runs. The easiest way to defeat Gigapede is deflecting its orbs, and the most brainless way to do that is jump on its head mashing melee with Quicksilver A&R. He's one of the worse bosses, but he doesn't really discourage melee (outside SSing as Vergil).

I've always found Cerberus to be one of the better bosses. It's a fight that encourages ranged antics while still leaving melee as a risky but extremely powerful option. Air Slash/Aerial Cross/Hammer, extended Tempest, Royalguard, and Quicksilver devastate him, not to mention the Vergil loop is built on melee. His ice regenerates fast but can be stripped off just as quick with Nevan, the shotgun, E&I, etc. On top of this, he's a well made boss with a variety of attacks and good AI. The worst part of the fight is the sweetspot trivializes it.

The second one is pretty widespread. Only Beowulf, A&R, Lady, and (to a degree) Nevan don't suffer from this problem.

I would add Leviathan Heart Core, Cerberus and Vergil to that list. You can beat on LHC with Tempest, charged Gunslinger and aerial attacks during its sweeping eye beams, or build up Rage. Cerberus doesn't really have downtime outside the brief "You're not human", and as you mentioned you can bust Vergil's Spiral Swords. Doppelganger is somewhat notable for being completely loopable.

To damage most bosses you basically have to go through some sort of hoops in order to actually damage their health bar besides just hitting them with your attacks.

Thing is, without shields or bloated HP, things tend to die extremely quickly. You have large, jump cancellable hitboxes with well defined recovery periods, and it turns into DMC4 where everything is DRI'ed/JCed to death in seconds with very little skill required. And on top of being always vulnerable, DMC4 bosses also had downtimes where they sat still and let you pound the crap out of them.

Just compare Vergil 3 to Angelo Credo to see where DMC3 bosses come up short against some of the best in the genre.

Vergil has a big advantage over Credo: he's much harder. You can catch Credo out of almost every attack safely and his offensives aren't nearly as overwhelming. Launch->air hits->Buster until stunned, then Buster again is hardly more exciting then Vergil's 13 hit count.

This is a problem with most of DMC4s bosses; they can be blitzed relatively easily without much skill. As a result, you don't have to pay nearly as much attention to them as DMC3's. .

Thank you good sir. My previous response to him got deleted and I wasn't about to type it up again so thank you for putting into words my thoughts.
---
George Carlin~ Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
My Father~ Failure is ALWAYS an option... but giving up is not.
#16NostalgiaRulesPosted 4/26/2013 1:15:44 AM
Cerberus was pretty cool. Nevan was the most unique to fight and the most unique weapon to use.
---
Newer isn't always better.
And I shall keep Dante's Force Edge polished and sharp till he comes back.
#17darkslayer001Posted 4/26/2013 8:59:20 AM
DMC1 and DMC4 had similar levels of boss fights...
they were both great, had only few bosses, but had too many repetitions.
Both had great patterns and design.