I need to admit...

#11RukumouruPosted 4/26/2013 8:08:06 PM
geneocide posted...
I read this earlier... but is there by any chance a way to mod in a functional lock on?

The game has a lock-on function to map to a button, but it doesn't work.

That said, did you try the game? I am a lock-on junkie and I don't miss it much in this game.

It might be bothersome mainly for ranged targets, but tilting the stick in the direction of an enemy makes you shoot whichever one is closest to the direction you are pressing.

There's also a button that allows you to cycle between ranged targets while shooting (cycling the soft lock-on the game has for firearms).
#12geneocide(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 8:11:20 PM
I did play it through questionable means but I would just feel comfortable with a lock on in all honesty.
---
*Hops on Sony Pony.* Onward my loyal legion of Nintendrones and Xbots!
Ahh! My ding ding dong!
#13KyryloPosted 4/26/2013 10:01:48 PM
Rukumouru posted...
geneocide posted...
I read this earlier... but is there by any chance a way to mod in a functional lock on?

That said, did you try the game? I am a lock-on junkie and I don't miss it much in this game.

It might be bothersome mainly for ranged targets, but tilting the stick in the direction of an enemy makes you shoot whichever one is closest to the direction you are pressing.

There's also a button that allows you to cycle between ranged targets while shooting (cycling the soft lock-on the game has for firearms).

it was annoying already in demo. So crappy when you try catch flying enemy, instead Donte keeps locking on random small mob.
#14zhaoyun99Posted 4/26/2013 10:50:45 PM
Kyrylo posted...
Rukumouru posted...
geneocide posted...

it was annoying already in demo. So crappy when you try catch flying enemy, instead Donte keeps locking on random small mob.

That's because that GOSH BS auto lock on always target the attacking whether they are on the ground or in the air.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#15KyryloPosted 4/27/2013 12:34:36 AM
zhaoyun99 posted...
Kyrylo posted...
Rukumouru posted...
geneocide posted...

That's because that GOSH BS auto lock on always target the attacking whether they are on the ground or in the air.

I know = NT buy yourself new brains instead of huskies.
#16RukumouruPosted 4/27/2013 6:20:20 AM
I know having a lock-on would be better, but when you try to catch a flying enemy and there's other enemies near you, the DMC3/4 lock-on also does whatever the hell it wants and you need to cycle targets. It doesn't solve this problem.

It does prevent you from targeting other enemies if you had already locked on to that target previously, though.
#17KyryloPosted 4/27/2013 6:27:43 AM
Rukumouru posted...
I know having a lock-on would be better, but when you try to catch a flying enemy and there's other enemies near you, the DMC3/4 lock-on also does whatever the hell it wants and you need to cycle targets. It doesn't solve this problem.

It does prevent you from targeting other enemies if you had already locked on to that target previously, though.

the only difference you can switch targets in lock on. Without it, <you have to fight without hope to reach flying enemies.
#18produnerPosted 4/27/2013 6:33:27 AM
Rukumouru posted...

DMC's lock-on targets whatever you point at with the analog stick or what you face, and it tells you who the **** are you targeting. It also allows for other options in the system settings, where it gives you other lock-on mechanics like giving the priority for lock on to point at the closest target for example.

Only problems with it is its speed and close mobs but you can cycle fast enough to switch between the close mobs. If you want to switch targets, release the lock-on and point at the target that you want.

It also allows for directional inputs/special moves, strafing, focusing on mobs and displaying HP. There isn't any reason to removed and it is one of the dumb moves of dumbing down video games in general.
#19Psychochild27Posted 4/27/2013 7:08:02 AM(edited)
Rukumouru posted...

If your combos are all just getting straight into an enemy's face and hitting buttons until it's dead, it's serviceable. However when you need to have a focal point quickly or where you need to prioritize a target/target multiple targets in quick succession ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyLahqEQIw ), it gets dicey as Hell which is a big problem because those skills are required in higher difficulties to perform well.

Even worse though is the fact that this lock on system inhibits gameplay when you want to do things that require altering Dante's positioning relative to his adversary. Dante's options end up feeling unnecessarily limited because he doesn't have a way to clearly prioritize a target and it ends up cutting into the kind of combos I want to be able to perform but simply can't.

For instance in DMC4 I like to work Dante's shotgun into his ground combo strings. To avoid knockback, I use Rebellion which pushes enemies back a good bit and has good reach and in the second swing, I'll do a short hop back while locked on, pop the shotgun in the air which places me just outside the knockback range of the gun so the enemy takes the damage but doesn't go flying, the momentum carries me back, the shotgun recoil animation is cancelled upon Dante hitting solid ground, I'm free to follow up with whatever I want.

Or another simple example is when you want to do anything with Air/Ground Dashes relative to your target. An easy one in DMC4 is Million Stab->Dash Away->Million Stab->Dash Away->Kick 13->Draw->Honeycomb Shot.

In DmC, the first combo could end up with Dante shooting the air or locking onto a new target behind him if you're not doing some DMC4 Calibur-style inputs while the second one can get dicey if you have more than one opponent on screen anywhere near your target and God help you if you start trying to use Angel Glides and pulls when you have more than one target present on the battlefield. Hell, sometimes the game can't even handle only having one target!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWe1y1S_Rs

This isn't even considering the tricks you could pull off with lock-on moves like reverse shotgun Backslides and all that good stuff in DMC4 either that are impossible with such a control setup as this. Point is though, when you have a lock-on system that actively restricts the sort of freedom of movement Dante enjoyed in previous games to combo to his heart's content with unless you go to exhaustive lengths to minimize the potential for error on the lock on's part, it doesn't matter how much you can justify it by selectively ignoring all the lock on's issues and saying "Just push your stick towards an enemy!" it's a massive step back and a gigantic handicap for the combo possibilities you have to work with.
#20RukumouruPosted 4/27/2013 7:08:18 AM
If you avoid air dashes, the soft lock-on will usually autotarget the last monster you were attacking.

A trick to maneuver around your opponent without modifying the soft lock-on is to use double angel-dodges (they have a sort of Trickster ground dash to them).

However, I know what you mean. And I don't pretend like the lock-on is not useful in those situations. What I mean is, a lot of people complain about things like you are attacking X enemy but then you want to interrupt another aerial enemy who is about to attack you and you can't correctly target it. DMC hard lock-on does NOT solve this problem.

It does however solve the problem of guaranteeing that you will not have any trouble targeting an enemy that you had already hard locked-on, and this is incredibly useful. I do miss it in these situations, trust me.

I'm very mobile during my usual gameplay combos and while it is bothersome (I use lock-on in DMC3/4 all the time), it doesn't break the game as much as some people seem to think.

That said, in the event that another DmC uses this system (or even a future DMC), I would like for them to introduce a hard lock-on. Perhaps putting DT in D-Pad down, dodge in one shoulder button and lock-on in the other shoulder button.